PDA

View Full Version : How do I bring new life to my old enclosed

Smitty58
09-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that is lettered but is really showing it's age. There are a few bumps and bruises and even a hole punched in the side by a w/b handle. The vinyl letters are looking a little old as well. Basically I would like to re-skin it and start fresh. Has anyone ever re-skinned a enclosed trailer? Is it worth it and any idea how much it would cost? I really can't afford to buy a new trailer so I'm looking for ways to spruce this one up to make it last a while. It's a Haulmark 6x12 white basic trailer with side door and rear ramp door.

Petr51488
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that is lettered but is really showing it's age. There are a few bumps and bruises and even a hole punched in the side by a w/b handle. The vinyl letters are looking a little old as well. Basically I would like to re-skin it and start fresh. Has anyone ever re-skinned a enclosed trailer? Is it worth it and any idea how much it would cost? I really can't afford to buy a new trailer so I'm looking for ways to spruce this one up to make it last a while. It's a Haulmark 6x12 white basic trailer with side door and rear ramp door.

I'm pretty sure you can wash down the white ones with acid and that will give you a clean surface, then re-letter. A new trailer might cost you 3k. Your choice.

South Florida Lawns
09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
I would not even mess with re skinning it, way too much work.

Smitty58
09-22-2008, 12:57 AM
What about painting it after I take the vinyl off?

BlackCloudDiesel
09-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Just go get yourself a nice new Wells Cargo. :-D

Az Gardener
09-22-2008, 02:27 AM
How old is yours? Just wondered, I have mine budgeted to get 5 years out of them before I replace them. I would sell it and use the cash for a new one. Re skinning is out of the question price wise. You can "Band aid" the holes with a piece of sheet metal and rivets and it dosen't look as bad as you might think.

I have a 3 yr old Interstate that is begging to be replaced, spongy floors, little dents all over, couple of band aids from the new dump beds. I need to get one more season out of it. My new ones are produced here locally and custom made. Much better quality and not much more $$. I am confident I will get 5 years out of them.

Smitty58
09-22-2008, 02:54 AM
It's just shy of 4 years old. What would it be worth on a trade? Does having it lettered hurt the trade in value? The problem with lettering a trailer when you want to change something it's a real pain. Getting the old letters off isn't so bad but you can still read what used to be there. Is there a way to eliminate this?

cutbetterthanyou
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't see why it would be a big deal re skinning it it is just riveted together. Drill the rivets out put new sheet metal on. My dad just bought sheetmetal like that for like 75 a sheet. So i can't see why it would cost much. As far as doing this compare to buying a new one that should depend on how rough the rest of the trailer is and how many miles. Is the wiring in good shape, wheel bearings, brakes (not sure if a trailer that size has brakes), doors & latch's? If all that stuff is in bad shape you may just what to unload it and get new, but if the metal is just a little beat up i would probably re skin it.

South Florida Lawns
09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
trailers hold their value. Sell it and get another one. I'm gonna try and get 5 years out of mine too. Its showing a ton of wear for a 2005. After I retire it I'm gonna get a cab over Isuzu with a 12' or 14' box.

Horsepower Lawns
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I work on trailers from 8-5 and mow on the side.
I have reskined a few trailers. Going through the shop you are looking at about $175-200 per sheet of skin installed.

If you do it yourself its about $100 per sheet.