PDA

View Full Version : Do not knock list?

Turfdoctor1
09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
for those of you that have ever done door hangers, have you ever heard of a "do not knock list?" I was putting out some fall advertising material today, and a guy stopped me, a very rudely told me that there was subdivision ordinance that prohibited my door hangers. And, beyond that there is a federal "do not knock list" that many of the home owners are on, and if I were to put an advertisement on one of those doors, I would be breaking the law.

I have searched for this law, and I think the guy was lying. Plus, in the spring, I contacted the subdivision's POA board and was told that it was fine for me to do door hangers. This guy is the new property manager, and certainly had authority. I just think he was overstepping his bounds. Regardless of whether or not I am allowed to do the door hangers because of their ordinance, is this "do not knock list" a complete lie?

thanks.

DeepGreenLawn
09-22-2008, 10:20 PM
sounds like it to me...

I see a lot of neighborhoods that have no soliciting signs... I look at it this way though... if I have a customer in the neighborhood... then it's fair game...

We were putting out handouts today, I was training a new guy to sale, they were informative pieces that gave an idea as to what to do in the fall to keep a good looking lawn through the winter... A&O for fescue and pre-m for bermuda/zoysia. So... technically we weren't "selling" anything... although I did give 6 estimates and picked up one customer... 4 of the other 5 were promising as well... the whole "check with the spouse" deal but that is fine... I can explain it again to the spouse if they would like.... or email...

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Many cities have such lists but I know of no Federal laws like that. Some people will say anything to make themselves sound like some kind of authority.

DLAWNS
09-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Some of the homes by me have a Do Not Knock sticker on their doors. I still stuck fliers in the doors and no one complained. I just don't knock.

Turfdoctor1
09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
thanks guys.

that's what i thought.

richallseasons
09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
You gotta ask yourself how do they inforce a do not knock list? If you knock does a trap door open under your feet and send you to the pit?

Ramairfreak98ss
09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
i was out a few years back putting them on mailboxes when a guy was talking with a neighbor of his, "a few houses down" and started yelling at me,
"dont put one of those on my mailbox, ill kick your ass!" He was furious too, like a lunatic from a psych ward, looked like a harley motorcylcle owner lol. I was tempted to stick 10 on his mailbox and on his door and car and all but woulda just been wasting my time and money. If i found some other companies junk on a mailbox that was old i surely woulda stuck it on his lol.

DeepGreenLawn
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I will say this, if there is a no soliciting sign in the yard itself, then I will honor that and not bother the people, I have not seen/noticed a "No Knock" sticker at the door though...

tradeyouraccounts
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
That would be a very tuff one to enforce and abide by. News to me….