PDA

View Full Version : New some help on Kohler engine

Howard Smith
09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I have a Scag VTR that I just purchase a few months ago. It is a old Turff Runner with a 22 hp Kohler which I know is old. It has been running fine, I just replaced all filters, changed oil, battery and a few other things just because I think it had been sitting for a while. The time meter says 800 hours, but I sure that isn't correct.

Any way it has been running fine and the other day I stopped mowing after a hour or so and went to lunch. When I came back it was hard to start and back fired a few times but did start. I mowed a few strips and it started back firing a bunch and lost power. I finally got where I couldn't keep it running.

Any sugguestings ?

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Oil level is ok? What does the spark plug look like?

Howard Smith
09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Oil level is good, haven't checked the plugs yet.

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Plugs are cheap and easy. I would start there.

viper00085
09-27-2008, 11:26 PM
kohler/scag had unfort a ton of issues with the turf runners (walker look alikes). kohler did have major ignition issues. bad modules and bad s.a.m's. when they made that unit years back (spark advance module). also the sam module can be water sensitive if it got soaked. sometimes they will dry out and be fine in a few hours or they just go bad and they control the timing and can cause backfiring and no top rpms or power. If new plugs dont help. They had a series of updates and wty bulletins, but never can tell whats been done to it when you buy used, so I would start by questioning the spark/ignition system.

if that all seems fine, then look towards valve issues.

dura to the max
10-04-2008, 01:45 AM
i thought scags attempt at copying walker was the cougar? either way, my mower did this at one point and it was only a dirty air filter from a really dry dusty summer. another cheap/easy thing to try.

Howard Smith
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the advise. My issues was that a rocker arm had come off.