PDA

View Full Version : When Top Dressing Do You...

GravelyGuy
09-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Prefer to put the seed under the compost or on top and raked in. or both?

The lawn is aerated and ready to be top dressed. I was thinking of throwing down some seed now to fall into the aeration holes and then put down some more once I get the 1/2" of top dress put down just to be safe.

Will the seeds germinate without direct sunlight just from the warm soil temps?

2stroke
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
seed should be no deeper than 1/4". ( under soil.)

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I only put seed on top. I never rake it in or bury it in ANY way.

robtown
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I have been told that you should seed than topdress.
The seed needs direct contact with the minerals in the soil to grow.
Compost on top holds it in place hides it from the birds will hold the moisture but and keept the soil warm.

Smallaxe
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Depends on what is covering it and how deep. I like a layer of compost over the seed for all the reasons mentioned.

1/2" of topsoil I would rake it in after seeding - depending on how thick the present grass is. Areas with lots of blades sticking through shouldn't need any raking, as mn said.

turfcobob
09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
You may bury the seed too deep in the holes if you put it down first. If you do it after be sure to drag or sweep the seed in and not leave it on top to become bird food. Yes the seeds will germinate with out direct sunlight but they must be close enough to the top to reach sunlight in a day or so. Unless you are putting down a huge amount of topdressing you will not bury them too deep except in the holes. You can make a drag out a piece of chain link fence that works good for this job.

STRINGALATION
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
i thought birds do not eat seeds any more because of the coating. i have put down alot of seeds and never seen birds eating them

mngrassguy
09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I've never seen birds eating grass seed either.

bdoss123
09-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I sure have - last year (spring) I put down some Rebel IV TTTF and I had birds that I'd never seen before hanging out at my house. Once the seed (what was left) germinated, the birds were nowhere to be found.

mngrassguy
09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
I've never seeded with TTTF. lol Expensive bird seed.

bajaboy1
09-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Lots of different opinions on this subject. I was hoping to get a clear cut answer. LOL!!!

STRINGALATION
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
the key word was PREFER on that topic it is like what was said no more than a 1/4 " down i would lay compost down to fill in the aeration holes then topdress with soil then seed and then roll it for better contact. i did a house front sod back seed 2 years ago and right now you cannot tell which is which

turfcobob
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
It is a figure of speech guys. It means you are wasting most of your seed aka feeding it to the birds. Shows my age I guess been at this for over 3 decades.

kirk1701
09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I sure have - last year (spring) I put down some Rebel IV TTTF and I had birds that I'd never seen before hanging out at my house. Once the seed (what was left) germinated, the birds were nowhere to be found.

Yep, I'm starting to think all the robins migrated to my yard for the winter :confused:

No problem, shot guns will solve that problem :dancing: