PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Conveyor question

shovelracer
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Well not really sure where this belonged, but I figured you guys might have come across these more than others. Maybe for loading trucks on small lots or something. Basically I got a client that had a company build him a few large walls, but they where never backfilled to full height. Long story short he needs a lot of fill. Maybe 150-200 yards. There is absolutely no access to the area with a loader. I saw a dirt conveyor at the local rental yard and it got me thinking.

There might be enough room to run a Mini track loader through the woods, but it would be hundreds of feet so this wont work for moving the material. I can get the MTL on top of the site, and my skid on the bottom. If I can get the conveyor to send material to the top then we are in business. Looking for at least 6-10 feet past the face of the wall. Wall is 7 foot at the lowest, and 12 at the tallest.

Conveyor is 21' long and has a 10" belt.

How fast can I move material on one of these. Any other suggestions.

KTM
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
We put elevator shafts in 5 old apartments about 10 years ago and rented them. We had to cut a hole in the basement, about 10' by 10' and hand dig the spoils in to the conveyor about 6' deep, the worked great, you lost about a third of the material. I would say that you could move quit a bit of dirt properly set up.

wanabe
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Anyone in your area have a putzmeister telebelt? They are cool, can convey material 110 ft in any direction.

wanabe
09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
A slinger truck may also fit this job. Post a couple pics if you can!

KTM
09-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I have poured some concrete with some putzmeister telebelts, they really move the material.

Dirt Digger2
09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
can you rent a petibone with a bucket on it?

shovelracer
09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Not sure on the petibone, but I can get a versahandler. I think that may work and be a lot faster. We met today and are now splitting the job in 2 parts. There are 3 walls all accessible from the driveway. We are going to do the 2 hardest now. It will be 100 yards. If I can get it 8-10 feet past the wall face I'll be in good shape, but 6 will work. I assume that the conveyor will be slow and realistically move no more than a few yards an hour if that. I think the handler is the way to go. Thanks for the advice guys.

Dirt Digger2
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
versahandler...petibone...they are all "telehandlers"...but i think that is your best option...you can really boom material with those things, regardless its going to take some time, but atleast its only 100 yards, if you get a big enough bucket/handler you can knock it out in a few hours

Scag48
09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd go the telehandler route myself. They're pretty quick machines and fairly stable, not like you're going up terribly high, you should have no problems with the bucket. If you've never run one before, get a feel for it first, they're a little strange until you get used to them. Remember to always stay level with a load in the air and don't move the machine once you've started going up, biggest mistake made in a lot of forklift accidents.

wanabe
09-24-2008, 12:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDd25kfKkk&feature=related

Take a look at this slinger truck. If it is near a driveway, they can have 15 tons of dirt inplace in the time it wil take you to unload a machine off of the trailer. Bid the job, finish fast and walk away with the easy cash!

shovelracer
09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Even better. I found one locally. They will be getting a call in the morning. I like what I see.

english kanigit
07-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Gentlemen, sorry for the necro-post.

It's 0230 in the middle of nowhere, raining cats and dogs so I can't work and must keep myself entertained. I found this page via some google searches about TeleBelts (http://putzmeister.com/products/telebelts/index.cfm) and I thought I would put up some pictures from a past job. It might give you folks some ideas in the future.

The Problem:

We got a call from a local contractor, TurfTeam, in the OKC area. They were redoing the pavilion area and planters in front of a down town bank. The problem the fellows ran into is that the whole pavilion area was actually a suspended ceiling for a basement area. Due to this equipment such as loaders and the like were a no-go because of weight restrictions. One of the planters even had such a low load limit that a special super light weight fill dirt was required.

The contractor was trying to find a modular conveyor system online. Instead he came across the TeleBelts and found us.

The Solution:

Thanks to the flexibility of the TB 110 I was able to short rig in the center lane and still let traffic flow in one direction. We were able to place the required gravel, fill dirt and planting media each one right after the other. Utilizing the sand hopper that is carried on the truck the contractor was able to keep his equipment small as well to help deal with the reduced work area. For a job of this nature 2-3 skidloaders is just about right to keep an uninterrupted flow of material to feed the beast. We did the majority of the gravel at first followed a week later by the fill dirt and planting media. The contractor had almost zero room to stockpile so everything had to be moved soon after being brought in.

http://gallery.me.com/englishkanigit/100016/DSC02150/web.jpg?ver=12268760520002
This is the second job, in the previous week steel for a gazebo of sorts was erected unbeknownst to us. Hardly a problem, just use a longer hose for delivery!

http://gallery.me.com/englishkanigit/100016/DSC02156/web.jpg?ver=12268760500002
A view from down the street. My truck was about two inches from the center line. Even while in operation there are no projections from the truck (with the exceptions of boom and outriggers of course!). This makes the TB110 capable of getting right up next to buildings, etc...

The 18" wide conveyor belts can move all sorts of materiel. Dirt, gravel, sand, rocks up to 4", coal, flowable fill and insane amounts of concrete are just some of the things that these trucks can gobble up.

http://gallery.me.com/englishkanigit/100016/DSC02167/web.jpg?ver=12268760290002
End of the day clean-up: to make life easier on the crew I was able to discharge everything on my conveyor belts right back into the bobcats hopper. Easy cheesy.

I wish the pics were better but I am glad I was able to bum them off the contractor.

Ek :weightlifter:

SiteSolutions
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
How much does that thing cost someone to sub out? It's a great solution; I could have used it last week... but I am guessing it's a little on the pricey side?

english kanigit
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM
How much does that thing cost someone to sub out? It's a great solution; I could have used it last week... but I am guessing it's a little on the pricey side?

Pricing depends on volume and materiel type. I work for a concrete pumping company so the majority of what we do is concrete.

Concrete is typically $2.50/yd and $145/hour.

Solid materials are harder to measure so we just use a flat rate, $200/hour. There is usually a 4 hour minimum for any kind of work.

You are correct in that it is a little pricey or at least appears to be. What you don't see is how much labor can be saved if this machine is properly implemented.

If you are interested find a company with a machine and get a quote or talk to them about it. Being a field guy my answers are never 'correct'... even if they match what's on the quote papers.

Ek