PDA

View Full Version : AHHH Nice... my new sales guy...

DeepGreenLawn
09-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I trained my new sales guy today. He is hopefully going to be more than just a sales guy but that is his job for right now. He is a grad from GT and just got back from playing in the minor leagues and obviously is having a hard time landing a job with the market the way it is. A real stand up clean guy.

I had him ride with me today, had some handouts for him while I treated yards. He impressed me, a real go getter. I know when I did door to door the first time I was nervous, he didn't even look back. He put out about 85 cards, talked to about 15 people, most of which blew him off and by the end of the day put out 6 estimates of which we landed one. By the end of it all he was doing all the estimates and talking and I sat back and watched ready to step in if needed. Never did... I was impressed... I didn't expect to get much at all from it but we made a huge sale and 4 of the other 5 seemed really promising.

He goes back out on Thurs alone, but in the same area I will be working in case he needs help or has any questions.

At the end of the day when we were headed back to his truck I asked what he thought...

1. I am wearing shorts next time.
2. It was hard at the beginning when no one wanted to talk with him/were blowing him off.
3. Once people started saying they wanted estimates it made it a lot easier.
4. When we sold the first one it made things A LOT easier.
5. By the end of the day he felt a lot more comfortable as he had a better idea of what to say.
6. He feels that it will be promising...

I am paying him hourly, part-time for now. He has done great so far and it looks like he will be able to take a HUGE load off of me next spring when we expect to get slammed like we did this year.

I just hope I can keep him busy enough through the winter to keep him with me... I told him to get a part-time job somewhere else, he is looking into being a sub for the local schools, and then he could work on his days off/when he is out of school. He has had interviews with other companies but said he would MUCH rather work outdoors with me than be stuck behind a desk wearing a shirt and tie.

And the best thing is that I don't see this one going off and starting his own company any time soon. Some people are made to be entrepreneurs and some are made to work for someone else... it's about time I found one that just wants to work for someone else.

Any one else having any luck with employees?

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I've had many guys like him come and go. Offer him a bonus if he stays on for a period of time. I hope he works out well for you. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
lol, good for ya! I wish we had a sales guy/team, my life would be easier.

DeepGreenLawn
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, it has been one of those things that I always thought it would be worth the time and money if you get the right guy as if they are good at it, and are a go getter they will make more than their share.

This guy just fell in my lap and he is doing great! Tomorrow is his second day and he is going on his own, working in the same area but on his own... I am glad we got a sale and a few estimates as if it was a bad day he probably would not have been as excited to go back out again.

He made a $1000 sale we figured yesterday? Put out a few more estimates and then all the flyers that I haven't gotten any calls on, but if I can manage to land another customer from that then it will more than have paid for itself... just the A&O he sold will pay for his full days pay...

If he can keep this up... I will bring him on full time soon!

I hope I can keep him through the winter though... that is my only concern...

brian_b
09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Keep him happy! The hardest position to recruit for is outside sales let alone door to door and commission only!

georgiagrass
09-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi DeepGreen. What will he be selling over the winter? And what are you paying him?

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Selling A&O right now as well as Pre-m treatments... I am paying him $10/hr, 20 hours max per week until we know it will work.

Thanking of doing christmas lights this christmas where he will make commission...

Next year is when I will really need him....

Lawnworks
09-25-2008, 07:53 PM
$10 an hour and no commission?

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
how do you figure commission on something like this? Over the years time? The first treatment? I have not had a sales guy before... although later, I plan on putting him over a route and having a profit sharing(?) from his route? That would give him incentive to grow the route and take good care of his customers...

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 09:39 PM
$10 an hour and no commission?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am not a cheapskate by any means, I just have not had a sales guy in this situation before.

Next spring I will be able to bump him up full time and keep us both busy as we will be doubling our marketing. Covering more areas we are already servicing but not advertising in... if this spring was a sign of things to come I will probably have to bring in even more people to keep up...

Lawnworks
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't know... just seems impossible to keep a guy on of his caliber for $10 an hour. Are you signing year long contracts?

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
no contracts... I am doing an "all-in-one" type deal next year that requires an agreement, but all that says is that if they decide to cancel that any outstanding balance be paid in full and cancellation.

The $10/hour deal is just to get through this fall, he is looking at getting a job as a subtitute teacher this winter, something I may look into, and then next spring I will be able to put him to work full time and increase his pay substantially...

I am hoping the christmas lights will do well as he will make good commission off that I would think... still working on getting this together though...

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 10:17 PM
no contracts... I am doing an "all-in-one" type deal next year that requires an agreement, but all that says is that if they decide to cancel that any outstanding balance be paid in full and cancellation.

The $10/hour deal is just to get through this fall, he is looking at getting a job as a subtitute teacher this winter, something I may look into, and then next spring I will be able to put him to work full time and increase his pay substantially...

I am hoping the christmas lights will do well as he will make good commission off that I would think... still working on getting this together though... still mainly focused on the business at hand sort-of-speak.