PDA

View Full Version : Big Landscaping job, need help on estimate..PICS SOON!!

DillonsLawnCare
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
hey guys, i just got a pretty big landscaping job. i need a few pointers and some help on the quote.

I already mow the yard, and it is an acre lot.

The man has already had a landscaper for the past several years service his landscapes once a year. He told me that the guy aerated, seeded, mulched, trimmed hedges, and hauled off waste for $1200.00....
So im thinking i can get some good $$$$ on this.

This is what he wants done....

--Mulching-- He wants me to lay mulch down around about 7 trees, and he wants me to make new mulching beds around electrical boxes/units, and two other fairly large spots. The other two, i will be putting mulch around like 4 trees that are all clustered together. I will put some sort of retaining wall, because it's on top of a hill. He has already picked out the certain brick he wants down.

--Trimming of hedges-- (6 crepe myrtles and about 10 regular bushes)

--Seeding--1 acre with fescue blend. broadcast spreader will be used.

--Monkey grass--Removal of about 10 individual plants of monkey grass. some are pretty large.

--Spraying-- ill be spraying the newly mulched areas before i put the mulch down, in order to kill the grass. and then spraying some kind of weed killer around beds.

--Hauling off waste-- Then i will have to haul it off.

My quote that came up with is: $1150 before i buy the bricks for the borders.

I will post pictures up Tomorrow afternoon.

My question: What to charge??:confused:

Thanks

Isobel
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
In hopes that you can get more $$$$ out of this client, I would even say go down a little bit more, maybe $1100, and then if he has you back the following years up the prices a bit more. That way at the very least he might tell other people that you giving people good prices...

davis45
09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
My quote that came up with is: $1150 before i buy the bricks for the borders.

My question: What to charge??:confused:

Thanks

Didn't you just answer your own question?

KS_Grasscutter
09-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Not adding much here, but you got over $400 for the seed if you do it right (5lbs/thousand SF). Plus all the other stuff, your price may be a little low.

NNJLandman
09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
$1500.00...make some extra bucks, do a better job. Everyones expenses go up every year hence im sure material, operating costs for you did to.

Reguardless, I know my material/overhead but I always like to add an extra hour of work or "mulch" into the price so if I get the job, I'm prepared for overages and if it works out that I complete it faster or cheaper then I suspect I can usually discount the final bill which most customers really appreciate.

Jeff

pj550v12
09-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Sounds low to me. Tell us, what materials are gooing to cost, seed, mulch, herbicide

White Gardens
09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
The retaining wall is going to consume most of your estimate.

1st question, - How many feet long, and how many block high is the retaining wall going to be????? Also, have you installed one before. If not, do your homework before you go into it. If you do it right the first time, it will last for years, do it wrong and it will look crappy next year.

2nd- Are you licened to apply chemicals, if your not, I wouldn't suggest doing any spraying.

If you take the time to remove the sod from the new beds, do a good job on the retaining wall, ect.... Then your final bill could go at or exceed 2000 dollars.

Try to get your numbers together and post them. Like I said, The wall will bite you if you don't figure it right.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah I agree. Sounds too low, if the other guy charged to service the landscape for $1,200. If you have to install NEW beds and remove old plantings and what not from existing beds I would probably quote 5-6 hundred higher.

BillyRgn
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
maybe i am missing something, but it says you are going to seed an acre with a broadcast spreader? does this mean you are aerating and then running it over with the spreader, if so are you renting a machine, or do you have one ?? because if you are doing that to an acre ,i think the price is extremly low.

AJ Lawnscapes
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Hmm...ha.....wow....A year ago I would have done the same, probably for the same and lost my azz on it and thought that I sucked at pricing.

Mulch -- 10 yards @ $35/yd = $350
Labor @ $65/hr for 16 hours =1040
Seed - 2x50lb bags @ $99/bag = 200
Sod cutter for new bed - 1 day @ 75 = $100 (travel to/fro rental store, time)(no spraying needed, just cut them out and dispose of the sod)
Aerator for one day @75=135 (fuel, travel to/fro rental store, time)
Slit seeder for oneday@75=135(same)
Rockborder @$7/Lineal foot * X feet = $XXX + delivery charge marked up 10%
Trimming Hedges $8/hr for your equipments time = $XX

Disposal = $100/truck

You should be charging around $1800-$2500
Hell, the Aeration and Slitseedings is a days work in itself and that should run at least $1200.

But you also have to stand by your price, in that I mean your quality. If you charge alot and talk yourself up, you must live up to it. It's all about the details. Pay attention to them, and do the job right, not half azzed

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
pics up in a few minutes. The Electrical boxes will be mulched around. I wont put and bricks around it for a border.

The other two pictures that are the two sets of trees, i will be mulching that and putting bricks around it.

Thanks.

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
picsssssssssssss

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
moreeeeeeeeeeee

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
picsssssssssssssssssss

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
more..................

ericmcj31
09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
sounds like a lot (of work) for $1200! Maybe just the mulch! (Don't know what mulch costs around Nashville)

DillonsLawnCare
09-23-2008, 10:47 PM
the mulch im buying will be @ $14.00 a scoop. so im thinking roughly 10-15 scoops should knock it out. to like $150-$250 in mulch.... oh ad its like some shredded pine with chips and crap mixed in.

TXNSLighting
09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
My gosh thats alot more than 1500 bucks worth of work! Im sittin in the 3's here.

ericmcj31
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
yeah--sounds like that homeowner is doing you a real "favor"

lawnproslawncare
09-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I need a materials list to even get a clue on the labor stand point.

AJ Lawnscapes
09-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Spend the extra money and get the Black dyed mulch. It'll last longer and won't grey out like the crap thats on it now.

and quit holding the E key down Corky, you'll break it and get drool on the table.

White Gardens
09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
With that much work, your looking at 6-7 grand min. I could see that much work pull closer to 10 grand depending on the final measurements on the wall. That back hill is going to take a pretty good wall with at least a 10 inch base, possible drain tile in the base, and geo-fabric to lock the wall into the hill, and back fill.

If your doing brick edging, you should make a trench, and put at least two inches of mortar under the bricks. Looks like you might need to also pull out some old mulch in areas too in order to get good edges against the sidewalk.

This job looks to have major details involve, and just running around for supplies and thinking about the job is going to be consuming.

Might want to think about sub-contracting the wall.

White Gardens
09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Spend the extra money and get the Black dyed mulch. It'll last longer and won't grey out like the crap thats on it now.

and quit holding the E key down Corky, you'll break it and get drool on the table.

I'm not a huge fan of the black mulch. I like good hardwood, but I do agree hardwood does bleach out just like other mulches, but it lasts longer.

I have problems getting rid of dyed mulch, the recycling center won't take it, and I don't know if it's safe to compost.

BillyRgn
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the black mulch. I like good hardwood, but I do agree hardwood does bleach out just like other mulches, but it lasts longer.

I have problems getting rid of dyed mulch, the recycling center won't take it, and I don't know if it's safe to compost.

i agree with you about the black mulch, i am also not a fan, it looks good when it is put down, but i have had problems with it. i have had some serious mold issues, and when it is near a house, pool or mail box; black spores have end up all over and are extremely hard to get off. i had it happen at several different locations and the mulch was from different suppliers and different loads.

STRINGALATION
09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
i say you are possibly way off on the price. for me that price is just the mulching. i can say i'm not into losing my a$$ anymore i'm not a virgin but i wont hump myself any more sortaof a landscaping nun you no hump me i no hump you and your asking for a humping. keep doing you home work.

FDuce
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you build a retaining wall around the trees and then backfill to level out the mulch bed...won't you cause the base of the tree to rot (since you will bury a portion of the trunk) and possibly kill/cause it to fall down?