PDA

View Full Version : Who is working on website link exchanges with other green and lco’s websites?

tradeyouraccounts
09-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Who is working on website link exchanges with other green and lco’s websites? Almost all major search engines rank web pages based on the number and the quality of links that point to a web site. Are you guys establishing your sites in this manner? We have a link exchange http://www.tradeyouraccounts.com/links.aspx do you?

Thanks

cbscreative
09-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Be careful with exchanges/reciprocals. They are not inherently bad, but they don't hold the power they once did. A small number of relevant reciprocal links will not hurt you, but the best ones are one way links. With that said, link exchanges can be beneficial. Example: if you do lawn care and you exchange links with a patio company.

Don't go overboard on directories since these can also score against you. A few local directories, yellow pages, and trade specific listings are all you need. Go for quality, not quantity.

Be very careful with link building programs too. I am an admin for a small business forum and you wouldn't believe some of the things these people pull to "build links" for their clients (or themselves). Basically, they get banned, the links removed, and the service is worthless. Besides, forum links have very little value to search engines anyway.

Since your businesses focus on a local market, building a strong site with search engines is not too complicated (easy for me to say). It's much less expensive than what I have to compete with. Rather than tell you everything to avoid (which is MOST of what you see being hawked), check out the references of any company you choose to help you with search engine issues. Do your research to avoid getting ripped off. If it's cheap, fast, easy, magic, the latest secret, etc., RUN!

The original point here was about link exchanges. But since that often implies search engine ranking efforts, I wanted to throw in the bonus material. Few things out in the business world have as much snake oil being perpetrated as web design and search engine optimization (SEO). Everyone with a web site wants to be on page 1 of Google. Be assured, very few will get there because there are only 10 spots available. It doesn't mean you can't do it, I do quite often, it just means don't believe everything you hear or read.

Turboguy
09-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Personally I agree with CBS. A good web designer knows the basics of SEO. I would suggest avoiding companies that specialize in optimization and just let your web guy set your meta tags up and arrange the content for good search results.

I have probably had a hundred or more calls from guys wanting to optimize my websites. I always noticed if I did a search on web site optimizing or a related term the guys telling me they would get me a number one spot never had it themselves.

I broke down this spring and had a company that did have a high ranking themselves try it. Before they "did their thing" I had a number 1 google ranking under several key terms but a very poor ranking on others that were important. Three months after they did their thing I had fallen off the end of the earth. My number one rankings were not even front page any more and the ones I had hoped for improvement had none.

SEO is not that hard. Search the internet and see what is important or let your web designer do it. I am not sure what affected my rankings but I had never used links except to my own sites and the "experts" I hired did add a links page which I think did more harm than good. My own feelings are that a well thought out title and description and good content will be the best way to get a decent rating.