PDA

View Full Version : Location of trucks...

DeepGreenLawn
09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
OK, so as I grow, I am trying to figure out how I want to do my truck locations. I worked for a company previously that had a location nearby and traveled as far as south of Atlanta... it seems to me that this would cause the usage of a lot of uneeded gas and time wasted traveling... I have also noticed TGCL doing this as well...

SO here are my thoughts,

Rather than having one "base" place a truck with a storage building in a strategic location. Right now I cover about 4 different cities. These all consist of a basic route that can be expanded easily. The plan is each city to become a route if not multiple. Rather than having the trucks travel an hour one way to get to a certain route and have to fight unbelievable traffic, I would rather set them up with a storage building to hold the weeks worth of product and a parking space for the truck. Or possibly let the employees take the truck home with them as long as they live in a certain vecinity of the storage building. Then these employees, or I, can make a trip at the beginning of the week to pick up the needed product, and a little more for any other needs, and they can save on travel time and fuel. Then as business expands into Central Atlanta and south Atlanta, etc etc, I set up locations in these areas as well...

Any thoughts? Each "hub" will have a manager accountable for the trucks and employees, they will submit reports and then I can travel to each one every so often and keep an eye over them.

If done properly with the right managers I believe this will be the way to go especially with fuel prices the way they are going, also the cost in fuel, truck repairs, time, etc etc, would offset the cost of the storage locations I would think...