PDA

View Full Version : Late season installs - MN

Toker
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
how many of you guys do late fall season installs in northern states - MN or otherwise? Talking temps low, like the 30-40's. Seems good time to do the labor but what then do you do on the actuall water, etc? Do you go ahead and pretend it's regular install, fill and test, then winterize?

I'm sure the liners get stiff but maybe the 50's and sun will make it easier. Reason for questions --- got 3 installs that they now want done, many months after I bid the things. They held off for various reasons - if installs still make sense I may do them now. Option is early spring but .... that date is always unknown around here.
Thanks for any advice on this

XStream Aquatics
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Built one this past Jan. in the snow. 1 1/2" ice every morning to break thru. It's good money for the winter months. We will work year round if the jobs are there.

XStream Aquatics
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I'll try and find some pics. Also this project was lower pond 80' x 30' and upper 15' x 15'.

Toker
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks - didn't realize KY nights could make inch plus worth of ice.
Last year I was ice chopping on Lake of the Woods. Dropped in a line when we crashed for night - sucker had frozen up over 5" by morning. Of course the temp was about a minus 40 but still - the shack we in was heated.
Older I get the more I hate the Jan-Feb period here. Hibernate seems more sensible.

XStream Aquatics
09-24-2008, 06:12 PM
only on occasions does it get that cold here, which it had to be while we were installing a pond! I'll post the pics later tonight hopefully. Got a new computer and I need to download pics to it.