PDA

View Full Version : Hardscaping Classes

Blmtlandscapes
09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
There is a recent thread about being ICPI certified and it has been something I have been wondering about. My main motivation however is to learn more about hardscaping and become more skilled in the area, not so much having the certified title. I was wondering if you guys new of any classes to take this winter that you think will be a helpful tool in learning the trade. I have done some pretty simple walkways and patios and they have come out great. I'm looking to build from there, Thanks.

Dodge Truck
09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
If you sign up for the ICPI cert you are enrolled in a 2 day class and provided a technical manual. at the end of the second day you are tested and a month later you find out your reseult. Its a pretty good class

BOEpavers
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
The ICPI class will not give you any hands-on experience. If you have a good memory you'll pass the test easily. For hands-on I'd suggest either EP Henry's MAHTS Conference in Atlantic City, the Hardscape North America Conference (not sure where it is to be held this year) or Pave-Tech's classes in Wisconsin. There may be others but these are one's I am aware of.

SuperDuty335
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I took the Allan Block course in Atlanta,GA and found it very informative.

PatriotLandscape
09-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Go to MAHTS they have hands on training.

SuperDuty335
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Tim Bott was the Allan Block instructor:
http://www.allanblock.com/Pressroom/Press%20Kit/Tim%20Bott.aspx?ta=5

kootoomootoo
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Be realistic ...a 2 day multi guess course is just that ...if you are serious work for some guys for a year or 4 or at least work on a few projects to get the principles.

PlatinumLandCon
09-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Befriend a good landscaper, work for him for AT LEAST a year like koo says, then you can learn a thing or two.