PDA

View Full Version : aeration/organic fertilization cost

greenguy08
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
What are you guys charge for core aeration/ organic fertilization for an average size (5000sf) lawn?

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-23-2008, 10:38 PM
what do you got??????payup

ICT Bill
09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Most renovation work I see consists of
Core aeration
Over-seed
Spray Compost Tea

*Option (because its expensive and often the customer does not go for it)
*Top dress with compost

It depends on the area, some get a lot more than others. I would base it on time and materials. If its a rental aerator you'll have to factor that in too

5000 sq ft, you'll be on site for at least and hour, without the top dress, probably 1 1/2, with travel its 2 hours billed for sure, plus materials

JDUtah
09-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Organic fertilization using unsustainable organic fertilizers like corn meal? Or sustainable forms like blood and feather meal? OR the best organic fertilization meaning compost? How thick do you want to put down the compost if you do?

My advice to figure your charging rate... find out how much it will cost you (product and labor)... decide how much you want to make on top of that... find out local prices of all fertilizing (chem and organic) and adjust your prices (up) if they are not as high as the competition. If your prices are higher than the competition market 'go green' heavily and make sure you do a GREAT job (green lawns)!!

Good luck!

robtown
09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
$700.00 aerated, seeded & topdressed

greenguy08
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyone with a realistic ballpark?

greenguy08
09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Rob, you get that much for a 5000sf lawn? What kind of topdressing?

09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
topdressing=compost

phasthound
09-24-2008, 09:48 PM
$600/10000; aerate, over seed, compost top dress.
Had a $1600 day today & am over booked.

treegal1
09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
25-40 cents a foot...............

DUSTYCEDAR
09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
its not cheep but u get what u pay for

Prolawnservice
09-24-2008, 10:26 PM
$600/10000; aerate, over seed, compost top dress.
Had a $1600 day today & am over booked.

Are you saying $600 for 10k or $1600for 10k cause if it $600 for all that, no wonder your over booked.

treegal1
09-24-2008, 10:27 PM
yes, but for a south Fl lawn thats like a whole new lawn, we dont seed but, it gets tea and compost and a lot of holes drilled in it, we also found a used slit seeder that is the best dethatcher tool in the world, we get runners here and they can take over or get made int new lawn, it just depends on how to go about it. that type of service is usually only a one time thing for a start up yard.(in my area)after that it gets MAINTAINED

09-25-2008, 06:12 PM
i try to get 150+ per 1ooo, aerate/1yard/seed/fert.........myco extra

note to self........buy topdresser ASAP!

phasthound
09-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Are you saying $600 for 10k or $1600for 10k cause if it $600 for all that, no wonder your over booked.

$600 for 10k. With the plugr 850 aerator & earth & turf 100sp topdresser, it goes pretty quickly except for filling the top dresser. I don't power seed, just over seed between aeration & topdressing.

09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
may i ask how much compost is being applyed to 10000 sf for 600$

Prolawnservice
09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
We do 1yd per k for $80per k, slit seeding(8-10lbs per k) and aeration is $80per k. Just aeration $40per k. Broadcasting seed is discouraged because results are meager compared to slicing but if the customer insists its $3 a pound spread. Barry If you bought your equipment used and got a good deal great, less overhead, but it will need to be replaced or repaired one day and that needs to be incorporated into each use. No need to cut yourself short people will pay if you give them results. People know what this work is worth(even with machines its not easy) thats why they will jump all over that price, imagine they had to do it themselves and rent everything.

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
just aeration at $40/k?! Wow... is this what everyone else is getting? I am off...

Slit seeding... I keep reading that here but have always only seen and done aeration and overseeding...

What is the difference both price wise and results? It seems that slit seeding has better results... maybe the clay is too hard here? I have never seen it done... any descriptions on how it works?

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
note to self........buy topdresser ASAP!

no kidding... I shoveled some compost yesterday and was getting madder and madder at myself because I know how much easier it could have been.

treegal1
09-25-2008, 11:06 PM
with the ecolawn spreader and the unloading feeder phill cooked up its all just a mater of running the machines, the trailer still needed some hand unloading but it was still way easier with almost 7 yards just unloading them selves.

Prolawnservice
09-25-2008, 11:15 PM
slit seeder, drops the seed from the hopper in front and slices it into the ground, perfect seed to soil contact, the best germination rates, hands down.

DeepGreenLawn
09-25-2008, 11:18 PM
awesome... that is what I have pictured from what I have been hearing...

I wander why you don't see more of those around here? I bet I could charge a lot more for that and get better results = more happy customers and referrals.

JDUtah
09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I wander why you don't see more of those around here?

Ditto... I spent an hour calling local rental places on monday. Not one of them had one... There is a used one for sell on our local classified website.. but I'm going to buy an ecolawn topdresser first...

The turf revitalizer is on my radar when I get to buying one...

treegal1
09-25-2008, 11:59 PM
we just got ours from a guy that moved down here, he figured out that we don't seed, we slip with it and add worm casts, its a cast slitter.LOLOL, it does a great job of cutting runners to make our lawns (you guys call it weeds) spread faster and grow in more lush and thick.

deep in your clay, and maybe jd's also it may not work, the aerator and over seed method is going to be the best. we have some GA clay here now and are playing around with it to see what we can do with it tilth wise, its great until it gets rained on and it turns to concrete! we should get our Arkansas soil real soon

its also another toy to house and buy...............

http://www.bluebirdintl.com/node1269.asp?url=%2Fnode1519%2Easp%3Fcid%3D481%26frames%3Dfalse

green_mark
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
For 5,000 sq ft

Core/fert 107.00 We use Alfalfa as the fertilizer.
Add over seeding 125.00 usually about 2 - 4 lbs 1,000 depending on turf density

phasthound
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
We do 1yd per k for $80per k, slit seeding(8-10lbs per k) and aeration is $80per k. Just aeration $40per k. Broadcasting seed is discouraged because results are meager compared to slicing but if the customer insists its $3 a pound spread. Barry If you bought your equipment used and got a good deal great, less overhead, but it will need to be replaced or repaired one day and that needs to be incorporated into each use. No need to cut yourself short people will pay if you give them results. People know what this work is worth(even with machines its not easy) thats why they will jump all over that price, imagine they had to do it themselves and rent everything.

You're right. I will be charging more next year, if we have a functioning economy that is.

wallzwallz
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I read some where that Alfalfa, "If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of alfalfa will generate heat which can damage roots." Have you had any problems w/ this green mark?

Barry, I thought your prices seemed low for the service, by next year, if the economy does tank that same price could be too high.

dishboy
10-02-2008, 08:18 AM
I read some where that Alfalfa, "If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of alfalfa will generate heat which can damage roots." Have you had any problems w/ this green mark?

Barry, I thought your prices seemed low for the service, by next year, if the economy does tank that same price could be too high.

I added a good amount of Alfalfa to my holes on my trees when planted and they are growing like crazy so apparently in this application the heat is not happening.

green_mark
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM

A few years ago we applied Alfalfa at ~20 - 25 lbs per 1,000 and had 'some' issues.

We droped that back to a 5 - 10 lbs rate depending on turf quality in each area and have not had problems since.

wallzwallz
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks dishboy and green mark for your real world experience w/ alfalfa. I have used on turf, just not after aerating. The quote was from the fert company North Country, about there alfalfa product.

ICT Bill
10-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Paul Sach's is a pretty smart guy, I would listen to him. A lot of real world experience there

wallzwallz
10-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Bill, I didn't doubt Paul's statement, that's why I am not using it after aerating. I was more curious about if the heat was common knowledge and I had missed it until a couple weeks ago when ordering some granular to put down w/ aeration. I have finally found good compost, but won't have a topdresser til next fall. I am not spreading 120K lawn by hand. I will be adding OM thru granulars for now. I've used North Country all season. Here's a good smorgasborg of fert mix : http://www.norganics.com/label/Pro-Gro.pdf

georgiagrass
11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Are slit seeders appropriate/effective on Bermuda or Zoysia?

JDUtah
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Are slit seeders appropriate/effective on Bermuda or Zoysia?

Tree might pipe in, but if I remember correctly she once posted that they use them to slice the stems and separate the nodes to encourage new plants to sprout.

treegal1
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Tree might pipe in, but if I remember correctly she once posted that they use them to slice the stems and separate the nodes to encourage new plants to sprout.yep thats the way we propagate SAG and Empire sod