PDA

View Full Version : John Deere BC1600 weed trimmer won't stay running

No Bull
09-24-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a john deere bc1600 weed trimmer. it ran great for about a yr then it started acting funny. it wouldn't stay running after it had gotten warmed up. it runs great cold. I have already put on a new carb, ignition coil,cylinder,piston kit. nothing seems to help. I thought maybe the new carb was set wrong. tried readjusting carb worked good for about 10 -15 minute then started to loss power and stall out. What could the problem possibly be. I would like to know what the correct carb settings are for the high and low setting. not sure if thats the problem. I am out of guesses.

S DIAMOND
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
have already put on a new carb, ignition coil,cylinder,piston kit.

N.B. rebuilding aside, it reads that you may have an air leak. Could be your main seals or mounting flanges. You will have to conduct a Pressure and Vacuum test to be conclusive.:(

SLR
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
No Bull,
muffler screen checked & clean?

No Bull
09-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Just out of curiosity what is the correct high and low settings on the carb.

No Bull
09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I need to know what the correct low & high carb setting are on the john deere bc1600.

S DIAMOND
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
This is no doubt the Green and yellow “Homelite” version. Post a carburetor number. Example: Walbro HDA, WT, WA, series types. If it is a Walbro unit, it’s safe to say 1-1/4 turns out from lightly seated is a good starting point.

No Bull
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
This is a john deere bc1600 trimmer. Engine cover is green. The carb is a Zama H46 24A

BigFish
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Why keep throwin good money after bad (Homelite)? Bite the bullet and get a good trimmer such as Echo, made by Echo. Lightweight, lasts forever, low maint. and a great warranty.

S DIAMOND
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Why keep throwin good money after bad (Homelite)?

Yes, Homelite. John Deere and Homelite had a “relationship” at one time. So this trimmer is a re badged Homelite. With that said, Zama calls for one full turn out from lightly seated. Regardless of the setting however, if the unit was reassembled incorrectly (piston orientation, cylinder damage, etc, etc, or if the unit has air leaks, you can dial until the cows come home, it will never adjust correctly and stabilize. Good luck.

No Bull
10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I would of trashed the bc1600 trimmer but I have already sunk more then it was worth into trying to get it running. so I figured if I can at least get it running I can then sell it and buy a stihl.

BigFish
10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Stihl??? You think you got problems now...........

Phil G
10-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Stihl??? You think you got problems now...........

:eek:

atb Phil

=

echoman8
10-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I agree about getting a stihl, echo, shindawa or other pro unit. In the long run, these cost much less and work unbelievably better.

About "sinking so much money in it", it has happened to most of us. You are, in my humble opinion, better off taking it to the firing range (by the way this is the original advise of Phil G), back off 3 paces after emptying the gas tank (I advised leaving the gas and backing off 5 paces), then fire until empty. This way you can certainly get satisfaction. Ha

Good hunting,
echoman

Phil G
10-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I agree about getting a stihl, echo, shindawa or other pro unit. In the long run, these cost much less and work unbelievably better.

About "sinking so much money in it", it has happened to most of us. You are, in my humble opinion, better off taking it to the firing range (by the way this is the original advise of Phil G), back off 3 paces after emptying the gas tank (I advised leaving the gas and backing off 5 paces), then fire until empty. This way you can certainly get satisfaction. Ha

Good hunting,
echoman

Good posting Dennis, more sound advise from the collective LawnSite.

If our government had not disarmed us 10yrs ago I would have lent you one of my 625 Smiths in 45acphttp://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/PhilGz/625SW001-1.jpg

Or my model 27

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/PhilGz/IMG_0493.jpg

In their absence I'd happily lend you a catapult.

Good luck Phil.

=

echoman8
10-04-2008, 05:36 PM
The catapult is good touch!!!!!

JimSmith
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I had this same problem with JD BC1600 Weed Eater.

It would run fine when cold on choke at full throttle for a few minutes, then would just die.

It was the fuel lines which had rotted out from sitting around with gas in the tank for years. It was sucking air in through the cracked fuel lines giving it the wrong fuel mixture, which explains why it ran great on choke. I replaced the fuel lines and it runs just fine again.

I have to say to all the skeptics on here, I have owned Echo, Stihl, Shindawa products and they are all good, but the two Homelite products I have purchased have worked flawlessly too.

I have a habit of letting the mixed gas sit in the fuel tank of these tools for years. The Homelite chainsaw sat for 6 years with mixed gas in it, outside under a tarp...a couple pulls and it fired right up and worked flawlessly.

The JD BC 1600 Weed Eater did the same; however, the fuel lines rotted out due to my leaving gas in the tank. $5.00 repair and she's running great again!

I'd check for this cheap fix before running out to get a new one.

SLR
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I would of trashed the bc1600 trimmer but I have already sunk more then it was worth into trying to get it running. so I figured if I can at least get it running I can then sell it and buy a stihl.

Just remember how that Karma thing likes to revisit those that disgruntle others unawares.

LawnCareNoobie
09-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I have two JD XT120 trimmers. They are fantastic. I heard they are kawasaki made though. Either way, I love em.