LawnScapers of Dayton
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
with the vac.....

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
now I have to finish the box and run the pipe over the cab

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I guess no one likes my work...............

oakwdman
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
looks awesome! Do you have a dump insert in the truck?

G.M.Landscaping
09-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I guess no one likes my work...............

There's not much to comment on yet. Yes the mount is nice, but can't wait to see the rest. Should be interesting to see the leaf box on a pickup. Hopefully it has someway of dumping.:)

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
yep I have a Truckcraft insert.......I will be finishing the box tomorrow and Friday.....

G.M.Landscaping
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Cool, looking forward to the pics. I've also been working on my leaf box to improve the design from last year.

lawnproslawncare
09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
You'll have to post some pics of the dump box soon, i'm quite interested in your setup

tedfrk
09-24-2008, 11:38 PM
is that going to be legal to drive around with on the front end?

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM
yep no different than a plow..........I already checked

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
leaf box.........

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM
leaf box dumping.......black paint and PVC pipe tomorrow

yardmanlee
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
should have went bigger !!! that will fill up fast

FIREMAN Q
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
do you already have the hose for over your truck. I have a 9-10' length of tubing. I can check to see if its 10 or 12" if you are interested.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-26-2008, 03:23 AM
it is plenty big for what I have to do, and I wanted it to still fit in my shop's 8 ft. door... Yes I have PVC pipe that will go over the truck.... hopefully I will get to that today.....

dutchman
09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope you will show some pic. when the pipe is on.
Great job.

Guzman Properties
09-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Very nice work, great idea to use the plow mount!!

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I can't claim it as my idea.....I have seen others on here do the same..... The box is painted and I have the pipe.....but I ended up with a sick kid home from school today.....so my work pace was slowed dramatically.......the pipe will be handled Monday......thanks for the comments......

Runner
09-28-2008, 06:13 PM
How are you venting on top? Are you doing a slider that can be adjusted? That setup is going to be so nice for you. I know we've seen them before like that, but still...
Another thing to consider with the front mount, is that it makes it SO much easier to get right up to the pile with. If needed, you can tuck that front end into anywhere.
Also, if you are using pvc, what kind of curve angles are you going to have? (I mean how tight). I remember some of these guys that used stove pipe, readjusted and went with a bit more gradual of curvature for less resistance. Keep us posted!

punt66
09-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats illegal here in CT. A plow doesnt have a pipe comming into your view. Thats a ticket for sure around here. The leaf box is way too small. I wish i could use a front mount though it solves some problems for me freeing up my hitch to tow with.

G.M.Landscaping
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Punt66, do you have any pics of your swingaway and leaf setup? Post some pics if you have them.

punt66
09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I actually do not. If you go to my profile i have 1 pic there of my trucks and my house i took last year. You can see the leaf box and the insert is partially in the air. The box has split barn doors that latch closed or open. The top i put a mesh tarp during leaf season with bungees. I leave the box on all year for mulch and brush. When i have my vac mounted i will take a close pic.

punt66
09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=96

here is the picture

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-28-2008, 08:12 PM
How are you venting on top?
Are you doing a slider that can be adjusted? That setup is going to be so nice for you. I know we've seen them before like that, but still...
Another thing to consider with the front mount, is that it makes it SO much easier to get right up to the pile with. If needed, you can tuck that front end into anywhere.
Also, if you are using pvc, what kind of curve angles are you going to have? (I mean how tight). I remember some of these guys that used stove pipe, readjusted and went with a bit more gradual of curvature for less resistance. Keep us posted!

I have a mesh tarp for the top...... The pipe is PVC and is a straight shot from the BillyGoat to the box..........Thanks for your post Runner.....you always have constructive comments....

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Thats illegal here in CT. A plow doesnt have a pipe comming into your view. Thats a ticket for sure around here. The leaf box is way too small. I wish i could use a front mount though it solves some problems for me freeing up my hitch to tow with.

The leaf box may be way to small FOR YOU.........but not for me thanks anyway.....

I too am a solo operation....so having to take 2 trucks is not an option.....

punt66
09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I hear you. Thats why i wouldnt mind having a front mount as well. I do run 2 trucks.

G.M.Landscaping
09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I hear you. That's why i wouldn't mind having a front mount as well. I do run 2 trucks.

I'm solo also , but I fabbed up a double hitch on my truck to mount the loader and still pull a trailer.

I like the idea of the front mount alot . Seen it on this site for the last few years. I might have to try that next year.

punt66
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm solo also , but I fabbed up a double hitch on my truck to mount the loader and still pull a trailer.

I like the idea of the front mount alot . Seen it on this site for the last few years. I might have to try that next year.

i have been thinking about doing that. You dont have a pic of that do you?

G.M.Landscaping
09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Couple pics.Still working on it. I also use an extension on the bottom hitch to put the trailer further back.

punt66
09-28-2008, 09:28 PM
My CP shows G.M. responded as does his profile but its not coming up in the thread. Weird.

punt66
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
i see it now. Yea im going to work on that. That is a good solution.

Runner
09-29-2008, 12:00 AM
That is just so cool. I love the nice stained wood look, too. Of course, looking at the wood, the lower part somehow reminds me of a Jacuzzi. lol

dutchman
09-29-2008, 06:11 AM

I checked with DMV and they say it is legal.

dutchman
09-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Couple pics.Still working on it. I also use an extension on the bottom hitch to put the trailer further back.

Real nice and how big is the leaf box.

punt66
09-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I checked with DMV and they say it is legal.

My equipment dealer who has been in business for over 40 years told me its illegal. When did you check with dmv?

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-29-2008, 07:02 AM

what year is that truck.......I love those older trucks.,......

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I should have the entire system finished today........pics to follow.......

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-29-2008, 12:15 PM
here it is.......only thing left is to change the oil in the Honda Engine......

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
front.............

yardmanlee
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
where will the hose be when transporting ?

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
dragging along side......................

just kidding............... it will be in the trailer with the blowers, mowers, etc........

G.M.Landscaping
09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
When you have to dump, do you just slide the tube back into the box an off the loader, then pull it back out?
Do you have any pics from the back with the door opened? That came out really nice. My only concern would be that long tube clogging when sucking up wet leaves. Guess you'll find out soon enough.

BTW, my truck is a 77 F350, and the box is 8-1/2L x 5'H x 8'W

dutchman
09-30-2008, 06:33 AM
My equipment dealer who has been in business for over 40 years told me its illegal. When did you check with dmv?

3 weeks ago and he told me that it was legal

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-30-2008, 07:40 AM
to dump the tube twists and comes right out......it is not that heavy........no pics of the back I will try to get one tomorrow......

clogging could be an issue but I think that will depend on how fast I suck up leaves....we will see....

G.M.Landscaping
10-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Did you get to use it yet?

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry...I have been using it now for 2 weeks....it is working great......no clogs at all, wet dry....doesn't matter...... I have hauled 25 yards (5 loads) of leaves to my dump site....so far.... I have been working my route so that I only have to dump once a day..... that may get a little tougher as the leaves get thicker.....thanks for asking

also I can have the unit on and off the truck in less that a minute now......way easier than I had hoped for....

t j lawn care
10-20-2008, 12:01 AM
DRM Ventures
Where did you get the tarp for the top at ?

punt66
10-20-2008, 07:24 AM
DRM Ventures
Where did you get the tarp for the top at ?

That looks like the same as mine. Northern Tool has the mesh tarps.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-20-2008, 08:23 AM
yep Northern Tools

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
sorry this took do long.........

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
one more........................

pj550v12
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Looks good, a little small for my taste as well but to each his own.

Regarding the front mount being illegal (in Connecticut at least), I was told the same thing by my lesco dealer. That mounting it on the front is in fact illegal and the DOT has been cracking down lately. I'm also toying around with ideas on how to mount it to my truck and be able to tow a trailer. I purchased the lesco swing away mount, with the hitch extension, only to hook it up and realize that it could not handle the weight and started to actually bend my truck hitch. I like G.M.'s idea I will have to look into that.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
well in the perfect world I would have a larger box.......but so far this year I have only had to empty it once in the middle of the day.... my dump place is centrally located so it really is not a big deal.....for me....

40 + clean ups to date and no clogs in the tube.....

cantoo
11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
DRM, check out my "This years leaf truck" thread. I have a short piece of flex hose on the end of my pipe. It's just inside the hole in the box so that when it lifts it pops out then when it comes back down it pops back in. If it doesn't go in a quick hit with the rack puts it in. I used stove pipe for my pipe, it lets built up water drip out and is real cheap. I have tiedown straps to hold the rear door closed, quick and easy to dump and get back to work.
One other thing I noticed that might help you with the law thing is to drop your vac down some. Redo your hitch so it sits alot lower it will also help your suction by reducing the angle from ground. We wrap our hose around the discharge chute so we don"t have to take it off to travel. As long as your vac is higher that the plow mounts it won't hit the ground and won't look like it blocks your view as much. You could make your box bigger by making it longer, just make it the same length as your tailgate and make a full height door. This will give you another big chunk of space.
It does look good.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
DRM, check out my "This years leaf truck" thread. I have a short piece of flex hose on the end of my pipe. It's just inside the hole in the box so that when it lifts it pops out then when it comes back down it pops back in. If it doesn't go in a quick hit with the rack puts it in. I used stove pipe for my pipe, it lets built up water drip out and is real cheap. I have tiedown straps to hold the rear door closed, quick and easy to dump and get back to work.
One other thing I noticed that might help you with the law thing is to drop your vac down some. Redo your hitch so it sits alot lower it will also help your suction by reducing the angle from ground. We wrap our hose around the discharge chute so we don"t have to take it off to travel. As long as your vac is higher that the plow mounts it won't hit the ground and won't look like it blocks your view as much. You could make your box bigger by making it longer, just make it the same length as your tailgate and make a full height door. This will give you another big chunk of space.
It does look good.

Thanks for the post but......

I have had no trouble with the law......I must have passed 12 cops today due to election day and none gave me a second look....and I don't need a bigger box......I did 6 lawn clean-ups for my regular customers today and didn't empty it until I was finished......

punt66
11-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the post but......

I have had no trouble with the law......I must have passed 12 cops today due to election day and none gave me a second look....and I don't need a bigger box......I did 6 lawn clean-ups for my regular customers today and didn't empty it until I was finished......

wow, you must not have many leaves in your neck of the woods. My box is at least 3x yours and i dumped 3 times today. So i guess thats all you need.

EMJ
11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Looks good, a little small for my taste as well but to each his own.

Regarding the front mount being illegal (in Connecticut at least), I was told the same thing by my lesco dealer. That mounting it on the front is in fact illegal and the DOT has been cracking down lately. I'm also toying around with ideas on how to mount it to my truck and be able to tow a trailer. I purchased the lesco swing away mount, with the hitch extension, only to hook it up and realize that it could not handle the weight and started to actually bend my truck hitch. I like G.M.'s idea I will have to look into that.

Hey buy my swinmg away hitch, because it is illegal to mount it to the front. Do you ask your barber if you need a hair cut?

cantoo
11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
DRM, no problem. The other reason for dropping the loader down is because it helps on wet leaves. And I guess I'm like the other guys, bigger is always better but if what you have works for your properties then that's all that matters. We do a lot of bigger properties and we (my wife) has to dump several times per day. It takes time to unhook trailer so I like the bigger box. Lots of time she will just get the leaves to the curb then we unhook the trailer and do the loading after dark. Especially if the weather is nice and the phone is ringing a lot.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-12-2008, 09:42 PM
well the season is over and I didn't have one clog issue.... Next year I will add a leaf plow......

shepoutside
12-12-2008, 11:20 PM
This is what I plan to build for next year. Like the ideal of the swinging dump, with blower attached..............

CTmower
07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Very old thread but just wondering if anyone ever found out if its illegal to mount it in the front like that. My uncle is a cop in CT and said as long as the license plate is mounted so it can be seen with the loader on the front then its legal. So not sure why other guys from CT mentioned it being illegal...