PDA

View Full Version : Formal Finished

XStream Aquatics
09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
finally finished formal pond. I don't like these as well as natural looking ponds but they do pay good.

Venturewest
09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks really good. I like natural better too, but I would still like to give some formal pools a try. Did you do the rock work or sub it?

Did you use swimming pool weirs?

XStream Aquatics
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Subbed out the rock work. After watching them I was like wow that's easy. After laying dry stack walls, laying boulders with machines and retainer walls I can do this for sure. The owner of the company gave me some tips on a few things so I'll be doing some practice walls real soon. Don't get me wrong I don't think I can do some big house job or something, but doing a pond yeah I can do it. It's to hard being there all the time to make sure they're doing everything right like the liner lapping extra underlay and such. Used Savio weirs and a formal skimmer and 3" bottom drain. The skimmer is actually made specifically for this application.

Lite4
09-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Looks very nice. Some lighting inside the weirs and under the cap would have set it off nicely.

EOL
10-04-2008, 01:19 AM
I do agree about that one. Lighting is what will definately make that feature pop at night.

Dripit good
10-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I like formals, and agree they should be lit to a degree. Here's one I recently completed incorporating 4 deck jets with a 36" sheer descent feature. I also took 2 granite spheres and drilled 1" holes through them for a little bubbler action. I put fiber optics just under the top hole opening of the spheres. During darkness the water appears to be glowing as it bubbles out of my spheres.......it's a cool effect.

Edgewater
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
That formal water feature is great. I saw your other post showing the filtration system.

I am about to do one that is all concrete. Could you give me as much detail as possible on the pump (GPH/GPM) and how the circulation is set up.

any help would be great, I want to get this right the first time

Adam

Oasis-Outdoor
10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
XStream,
That is an excellent looking install. It is simplistic, yet very effective! It really lends its self to that space. I'll bet the customer was very pleased with it as well.
Is that real stone in the wall or cultured? That is something I wish I had apprenticed in a long time ago....masonry.
Congrats on a job well done!

XStream Aquatics
10-31-2008, 11:11 PM
That formal water feature is great. I saw your other post showing the filtration system.

I am about to do one that is all concrete. Could you give me as much detail as possible on the pump (GPH/GPM) and how the circulation is set up.

any help would be great, I want to get this right the first time

Adam

the pump is an Artesian 1/2 75 low rpm. There is a 3" Tetra bottom drain running 3" flex and also a formal skimmer running 3" flex. Bottom drain feeds directly into pump while the skimmer feeds into an Aqua Sieve first, then into the pump. Comes out of pump into a "t" with a ball valve to let certain amount of flow to pass thru Alpha I bead filter and 20 watt Zap 20 U.V. while the other just bypasses them and they tie back together in a 3" flex which then t's into each spillway with a ball vavle on each.

XStream Aquatics
10-31-2008, 11:12 PM
XStream,
That is an excellent looking install. It is simplistic, yet very effective! It really lends its self to that space. I'll bet the customer was very pleased with it as well.
Is that real stone in the wall or cultured? That is something I wish I had apprenticed in a long time ago....masonry.
Congrats on a job well done!

they are true 6" veneer.