PDA

View Full Version : TruGreen Price?

dgreen67
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
A customer of mine has TruGreen for lawn treatments, but they offered her aerating, overseeding, etc. this year. She asked me how much they would charge her? I am going to do that service for her, but it made me wonder what kind of prices they would charge for that. Anyone know what the big companies would charge per 1000 sq ft?

:confused:

Runner
09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
In most cases, they do it real cheap. The sales kid - er, I mean person wants to make a sale, so like in most other operations, it gets priced real cheap.

Marcos
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
A customer of mine has TruGreen for lawn treatments, but they offered her aerating, overseeding, etc. this year. She asked me how much they would charge her? I am going to do that service for her, but it made me wonder what kind of prices they would charge for that. Anyone know what the big companies would charge per 1000 sq ft?

:confused:

Sell on quality, not price!

And if you're going to go out there and aerate, please don't do this industry any more further injustice, and try to aerate lawns that are absolutely parched, and/or hard-as-a-rock :wall due to lack of rain or artificial irrigation!

The knock-off concept of "aeration & seeding" came along about a decade after core aeration debuted in this industry, from it's golf course origins of the 1960s.

The original intention of "core aeration" (before it began to be bastardized by low-ball salesmen) had nothing to do with new seed establishment!
But it had EVERYTHING to do with the concept of "repotting the turf 1,000,000 times over", by helping to reduce thatch (in certain grass types), increase root density and depth, reduce sheet wash (on sloped areas), and increase soil porosity; which helps it to accept water and nutrients more efficiently.

I'm not saying "aerating & seeding" doesn't work!
All I'm saying is ...that in order to do any kind of DECENT job, you'd better figure on going over it (on average)
2x or 3x !!!...while seeding the area(s) 'in between' the aerations!

...and by the time you've done all THAT, you may as well have done it RIGHT, and gone out and gotten a slice-seeder, too!

dgreen67
09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info., you learn something everyday. :)

mattfromNY
09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
We havent had any rain in 2.5 weeks, things are real dry and hard right now, not to mention yellow, dormant grass. Yesterday I saw TG out aerating in force! quite a few lawns w/ 1/4" deep holes, plugs the size of firewood pellets left on the lawns. Lots of good they're doing for the lawns.

CkLandscapingOrlando
09-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Sell on quality, not price!

And if you're going to go out there and aerate, please don't do this industry any more further injustice, and try to aerate lawns that are absolutely parched, and/or hard-as-a-rock :wall due to lack of rain or artificial irrigation!

The knock-off concept of "aeration & seeding" came along about a decade after core aeration debuted in this industry, from it's golf course origins of the 1960s.

The original intention of "core aeration" (before it began to be bastardized by low-ball salesmen) had nothing to do with new seed establishment!
But it had EVERYTHING to do with the concept of "repotting the turf 1,000,000 times over", by helping to reduce thatch (in certain grass types), increase root density and depth, reduce sheet wash (on sloped areas), and increase soil porosity; which helps it to accept water and nutrients more efficiently.

I'm not saying "aerating & seeding" doesn't work!
All I'm saying is ...that in order to do any kind of DECENT job, you'd better figure on going over it (on average)
2x or 3x !!!...while seeding the area(s) 'in between' the aerations!

...and by the time you've done all THAT, you may as well have done it RIGHT, and gone out and gotten a slice-seeder, too!

Thats it.I can only add one thing.IFAS recomends that you also water it in heavey right after if you hope to relize all the afore mentioned benefits.

david shumaker
09-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Some of my customers use Tru Green or Scotts for aeration. I've taken a peek at the bills they leave on the door. I've seen prices anywhere from $75.00 up. I was talking to someone today who had his yard aerated and seeded by Scotts. They charged him $275.00. I don't know the exact size of his yard, but I consider it an average yard....not small or large. My price for aeration starts at $75.00 unless I'm doing another yard on the same block at the same time and I will charge a little less. I've got a Plugr PL600 and it about breaks my back just pushing it up on the trailer. I can't see charging any less for using a machine that about tears your body apart.

Marcos
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info., you learn something everyday. :)

I'm glad it could be of some use. :)

Maybe I've been around too long in this biz...but I just can't stand to see half-@&& work like mattfromNY just described!

Frankly, at this precarious point in our country's economy, idiotic decision-making skills like what TGCL showed in that example, is ultimately just a tiny part of the LARGER growing picture of general incompetence, that's serving to damage virtually EVERY business owner in the Green Industry, especially from the perspective of the public's eye.

JKOOPERS
09-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Well the guy that does all my fert used to be the commercial account manager for TG. He said he charges $750.00 per acre for Aeration, Overseeding & Fert

ALC-GregH
09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
My last aerate job paid $350. It was a 1/3 acre lot. Aerate, seed and fert. Took me about 1.5hrs with about $150 in expense. :) The customer was very happy as well. He called me 5 days later and told me that most of the plug holes have seedlings sprouting out already! :D

delphied
09-26-2008, 09:39 AM
In most cases, they do it real cheap. The sales kid - er, I mean person wants to make a sale, so like in most other operations, it gets priced real cheap.

Yup. Tru Green Chem lawn has the price for aeration down so low, its not worth doing around here.

Marcos
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Yup. Tru Green Chem lawn has the price for aeration down so low, its not worth doing around here.

It is IF TGCL generally does cruddy aeration jobs, and you can convince the prospect that you can do a whole lot BETTER!

Sell on VALUE, not PRICE!