PDA

View Full Version : Who is your ideal client?

cbscreative
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
I've been noticing a pattern here and thought I would ask this question as someone outside the industry of most of the members here.

One of the primary patterns I am seeing so far is the way most members here seem to target their ideal client or customer. Am I correct in saying that the general approach is people who make over $100k and live in certain "upscale" neighborhoods? Although I understand the "conventional wisdom" of this approach, I suspect it is flawed based on my experiences.

Maybe I am blowing someone's "secret to success" by saying this, but I would think that there is a ripe opportunity in places you might not expect.

Here's why I say this. In the high income brackets, there is a tendancy to get stretched for the purpose of keeping up appearances. In my dealings with this market, they have the fancy houses and nice cars, but some of them hide when the newspaper delivery person comes to collect on an overdue bill. Even if you get business in this market, you might get delinquent accounts and people who shop for a nickel less on price.

My primary point here is that the people who make $40k to $90k+ and live in more modest neighborhoods could be easily overlooked. These are the ones who have more discretionary income because they don't buy into the "status" trap.

There was a time in my past when I sold a high end, expensive product for the home. While many of the people working for the company liked to do demos in the "nice" areas, I quickly learned that my best sales were from more average areas, and the people thought to be "ideal canidates" almost never bought.

I figure this is a good discussion starter. What are your thoughts and experiences? Which target clients provide the best ROI? Are you targeting the $100k+ only? Have you experimented with more modest neighborhoods?

jkason
09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
The best clients are the ones that pay on time. It doesn't matter if they're making $40,000.00 or $400,000.00.

AI Inc
09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
My area is IT heavy and when that slowed down I noticed a lot of my work was coming from older folks who lived in the same ranch or cape that they have been living in for 20 yrs.
But my best clients are the ones that do something major every 3 -4 yrs, house addition , swimming pool ect. I rebuild these systems every 3-4 yrs . They have me do all their repairs , spring start ups , winterize , and always pay their bill promptly.
They are also smart enough to follow instructions that make my job and their lives easier.

PTP
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
My favorite client is Mr. Weaver. He gets service every week and it almost always looks the same when we leave as when we got there. The lawn is thin and weedy and barely grows at all. The back yard gets smaller and smaller every year due to the overgrown trees that block out the sun. It's almost to the point where we can do the maintenance with a trimmer. He always pays and he never skips service.

If only I had more like him.

Malibu landscape
09-28-2008, 08:51 PM
My ideal client is one who appreciates finer things and has the ability to afford them. Doesn't Nit pit and allows me to do my work without micromanaging and doesn't ask for me to install experimental installations with questionable products that I know won't work or stand up to the test of time.