PDA

View Full Version : efficient use of leaf loader

mcwlandscaping
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Tomorrow or monday i'm going to be picking up my new 18hp billy goat leaf loader. I have never actually used on myself so was wondering what the most effective way to use it would be? Is it best to use it as you go along on a job or wait til the end with one big pile? Things like that or any tips and tricks that go along with getting the most efficient use out of the machine. For other equipment i'll be running a redmax ebz8001 and an eb7001...and of course rakes as needed! :-) and btw, the loader will be blowing into my dump trailer. This brings up another question....this loader unit weighs 300lbs, it has the tail gate mounts on it but it just seems like it would be too heavy for a tailgate....is this true? What i may do is mount it on the tailgate and just turn the exhaust chute around so it blows into the dump trailer....any ideas on mounting this thing would be greatly appreciated as well!

thanks guys,

-mike-

mcwlandscaping
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
bump?? :-)

CLARK LAWN
09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
we make one big pile and then suck them up. just curious if you are loading into the dump trailer how are you going to mow after the leaves are up? by the next day the lawn will be covered again. you might also want to look into a push blower. they will move alot more than a backpack ever will.

mcwlandscaping
09-25-2008, 11:23 PM
we make one big pile and then suck them up. just curious if you are loading into the dump trailer how are you going to mow after the leaves are up? by the next day the lawn will be covered again. you might also want to look into a push blower. they will move alot more than a backpack ever will.
Thanks for the reply...i run two trucks with trailers for the fall. One has the dump trailer with leaf loader and the other has the equipment trailer behind it.

-mike-

Drew Gemma
09-25-2008, 11:57 PM
just ram the pile with a mower push blowers are heavy bulky and suck to push in the soft fall ground

Marcos
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
A few years ago, a couple of guys here locally thought they were real smart by converting a 18hp Salsco leafloader unit into a mulchblower.
The thing apparently held up for maybe two or three weeks. But then, the thing just began to disintegrate rapidly, with pieces of the aluminum flywheel actually becoming airborne, along with the mulch, at one point!

And you know...those idiots actually had the nerve to try to call the damage to the flywheel something that should be covered under "warranty"! :wall

oakwdman
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Mike, did you buy another truck or is it someone else's? Like said before, one big pile is probably your best bet.

JDUtah
09-26-2008, 12:44 AM
A few years ago, a couple of guys here locally thought they were real smart by converting a 18hp Salsco leafloader unit into a mulchblower.
The thing apparently held up for maybe two or three weeks. But then, the thing just began to disintegrate rapidly, with pieces of the aluminum flywheel actually becoming airborne, along with the mulch, at one point!

And you know...those idiots actually had the nerve to try to call the damage to the flywheel something that should be covered under "warranty"! :wall

haha good to know.. i was thinking maybe, just maybe... but nope... Thanks.. oh and thanks for your post in that sulphate thread too. :waving:

Marcos
09-26-2008, 12:57 AM
haha good to know.. i was thinking maybe, just maybe... but nope... Thanks.. oh and thanks for your post in that sulphate thread too. :waving:

Glad to be of help.....:waving:

joshua
09-26-2008, 01:20 AM
i have the same one, you'll love it. i had a swing away arm made for mine. you don't want to be taking that off everynight.

ilawns
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi,
I have been looking at getting a Billygoat for my dump trailer. Putting it on the gate using the built-in brackets sounds easy, buy I really don't relish the job of having to remove and replace it each time the trailer needs to be dumped.
Has anyone tried mounting the goat over the tongue?

Marcos
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi,
Has anyone tried mounting the goat over the tongue?

Man!
You've got to be one sick kind of dude, to try any messed-up stuff like that!!!

ilawns
09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi,
I just saw someone who had it set up that way. At first it seemed like a good idea to mount it against the front of the trailer and behind the truck to make it easier to dump the trailer without having to take the goat off each time.
I thought it would be heavy on the hitch and in the way when the trailer is jack-knifed. I guess you feel that the negatives out-weigh the positives...
Thanks

mcwlandscaping
09-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey guys, i don't actually have a second truck just yet of my own but during the fall i use either my dads 3/4 ton suburban or my employee just got a 2500HD that he loves using to help me out when i need it...so either way i'm covered for a second vehicle for now!

I pick up my new loader on monday :-)

DuallyVette
09-28-2008, 12:30 AM

I just looked at the Salsco website. Their leaf loader has a limb chipper chute on it. They say that the machine will chip, suck, and blow chips. Unless these guys "converted it" with a torch & welder...it should be covered by warranty. Maybe some information is missing here.