PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hound

wanabe
09-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a bunch of 1 1/2 inch rock that I need to pick up. Do they work? Truck driver had a screw up today and tailgated about 15 ton of rock down my field road, and now I need it gone. How do I do it. Rock was spread very thin, 15 tons over about 1/4 mile road. The road is a dirt road, covered with grass, and is hard packed. Never used one before, and don't know if it will work. What do they rent for a day?Thanks!

bobcat_ron
09-25-2008, 11:10 PM
A rock rake will work, a Harley rake works good to, but it needs to be picked up after with a bucket. I've used the Bobcat rake version, and it handled rocks up to 3".

bobcatuser
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
The rock rake might take some time to pick up all the rock, especially if the road has tire ruts. It won't pick up from the low spots.

Junior M
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Dad used to use a Rockhound and it worked really well... so I would assume it would work for you... And your local equipment dealership can tell you that.. price varies everywhere..

wanabe
09-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks ron but how do they work on hard ground. Pretty much rock on top of concrete ground. How small of rock will they pick? Are they slow or fast?

wanabe
09-26-2008, 01:03 AM
The road is flat, but is all grass. Will it work? Anything to running them?

bobcatuser
09-26-2008, 02:20 AM
If it's flat no problem. Just engage the float setting on the loader and back up slow. The rake will pick up most rocks down to 1/2".

bobcat_ron
09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks ron but how do they work on hard ground. Pretty much rock on top of concrete ground. How small of rock will they pick? Are they slow or fast?

It picks up rocks as small as 3/4", that's about it, if it's hard packed dirt, I would loosen it up with my 7 shank scarifier, and they are slower than a Harley Rake.

CAT powered
09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
You have to back up all the time in order for it to work and it will probably tear out most of your grass. The advantage over a harley rake is that it collects all the rock as you're going along.

forestfireguy
09-26-2008, 06:53 PM
If it's free why not just leave it if it's on a roadway? It'll help hold you together in the wet weather......is there something I'm not seeing??

wanabe
09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
They did a half @ss job with it is why I want it gone. Think about spreading 15 tons of rock down a driveway that is 1/4 mile long. It is that thin, and they only did the 2 wheel tracks abd not the entire road. I mow this road 2 times a month and don't want my tractor windows shattered or my blades on my 13 thousand dollar mower. It is pretty much like a lawn the entire road. I am going to call arround monday and try to get one lined up.

wanabe
09-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Just thinking again, but would it be easier/quicker to use a harley rake and push up piles? Or will they not push up a pile? I have ran a harley(3 point) before, but only in clean soil. Thanks!

CAT powered
09-26-2008, 10:33 PM
If you're going to use a harley you'd better not be too attached to the grass that is there.

Construct'O
09-26-2008, 10:51 PM
To help with the process,maybe you could take a tractor and rear mounted blade, angle the the blade ,and windrow the rock?

Might help with the harley raking.Something to think about.Good luck.:usflag:

YellowDogSVC
09-27-2008, 01:15 AM
I have a bunch of 1 1/2 inch rock that I need to pick up. Do they work? Truck driver had a screw up today and tailgated about 15 ton of rock down my field road, and now I need it gone. How do I do it. Rock was spread very thin, 15 tons over about 1/4 mile road. The road is a dirt road, covered with grass, and is hard packed. Never used one before, and don't know if it will work. What do they rent for a day?Thanks!

rockhounds work awesome down to 3/4 inch material. you will get dirt, rocks, etc., mixed into hopper.

forestfireguy
09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Now I get it........ Honestly a rockhound isn't the tool for that kind of job, you could eventually pick up almost all of it, but with the tire ruts and grass it'll be nothing but soil by the time you get it all. Come to think of it nothing I'm aware of will do a good job there with the ruts and grass. Maybe find a local kid and give him a rake and a wheel barrel. Might be cheaper too......

Gravel Rat
09-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Rocks in grass forget it you will have to hand pick that or take a machine and start scraping the grass and all off and replant grass or gravel it.