PDA

View Full Version : 305c cr demo

P.Services
09-25-2008, 11:11 PM
well michigan cat dropped off a 305c cr for me today. i dint get a chance to run it during the day but i still ran it in the dark for the last hour and change.

VERY nice cab ergonomics, a absolute pleasure to run. door slides awesome! windshield slides awesome! side windows can both open and close either way! very comfy seat. i like how fast it lowers the engine rpm's it looks super sleek and sexy and that's all i can find i like about it.

it feels EXTREMELY week even with a small 18'' digging tooth bucket on it. it cant even pull a full bucket of clay with just the arm strengh, i have to curl the bucket to load it. hell it had a hard time pulling a bucket of wet topsoil.

i dont like how incredibly slow the bucket curls, when it gets to the back end of the curl its not a sharp hard snap to clean the dirt out of the bucket. when the bucket gets packed with dry clay and is stuck in i had to curl it forward up against the arm and it has a good "snap" to loosin up the dirt then i could dump it out.

the dozer blade is ok kinda slow up and down, ok tracktive effort. no i take that back kinda poor power when pushing.

the buzzer when tracking bugs the living shat out of me, hitting the switch every time i change directions is a pain.

the swing speed is almost to fast, im still dizzy.

the erops pillar in the front right corner seems to always be in my way. the pillar is big and then the windshield release handle is right there and then on the windshield is the wiper mount. its just a big mass right in the way. i was constantly trying to see around it. literally having to move my head way over to see around it. side and rear vision is great but when looking forward i felt like i was trying to look threw a peep hole. to the point i turned the cab sideways when tracking so i could see the front of both tracks at once.

im not impressed at all with any performance aspects of this machine, the cab is awesome though.(not the visibility though) maybe im expecting to much power and force out of such a small machine and to use to a big pc200 cab.

either way no 305 for me, im going to start to look for a bit larger machines.
308c cr
75d
80c

something along those lines.

ksss
09-25-2008, 11:45 PM
well michigan cat dropped off a 305c cr for me today. i dint get a chance to run it during the day but i still ran it in the dark for the last hour and change.

VERY nice cab ergonomics, a absolute pleasure to run. door slides awesome! windshield slides awesome! side windows can both open and close either way! very comfy seat. i like how fast it lowers the engine rpm's it looks super sleek and sexy and that's all i can find i like about it.

it feels EXTREMELY week even with a small 18'' digging tooth bucket on it. it cant even pull a full bucket of clay with just the arm strengh, i have to curl the bucket to load it. hell it had a hard time pulling a bucket of wet topsoil.

i dont like how incredibly slow the bucket curls, when it gets to the back end of the curl its not a sharp hard snap to clean the dirt out of the bucket. when the bucket gets packed with dry clay and is stuck in i had to curl it forward up against the arm and it has a good "snap" to loosin up the dirt then i could dump it out.

the dozer blade is ok kinda slow up and down, ok tracktive effort. no i take that back kinda poor power when pushing.

the buzzer when tracking bugs the living shat out of me, hitting the switch every time i change directions is a pain.

the swing speed is almost to fast, im still dizzy.

the erops pillar in the front right corner seems to always be in my way. the pillar is big and then the windshield release handle is right there and then on the windshield is the wiper mount. its just a big mass right in the way. i was constantly trying to see around it. literally having to move my head way over to see around it. side and rear vision is great but when looking forward i felt like i was trying to look threw a peep hole. to the point i turned the cab sideways when tracking so i could see the front of both tracks at once.

im not impressed at all with any performance aspects of this machine, the cab is awesome though.(not the visibility though) maybe im expecting to much power and force out of such a small machine and to use to a big pc200 cab.

either way no 305 for me, im going to start to look for a bit larger machines.
308c cr
75d
80c

something along those lines.

Try a TK TB180FR which is in the same class as above, or the TB153FR which is same class as the 305C. The side to side boom is awesome and the TK's power is impressive.

RockSet N' Grade
09-26-2008, 12:02 AM
If we had good support, the TK would be a good choice. Try a Gehl 803 and see what you think - a little spartan in ye old cab, but pretty good stat's and performance....

Hollowellreid
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Overall similar reaction here:

Machine was very nice, cab great, auto idle a plus. Cold A/C, quiet, smooth.

Blade moved really slow, too easy for me to engage the float option accidentally. I kind of wish that the side boom was proportional rather than just an electric switch on the joystick. Not easy to be smooth.

I thought the machine had nice digging power with a 30" tooth bucket but was quite tippy with any sort of full bucket. Felt very unstable and made me uneasy at times backfilling around an elaborate framework.

Really a very nice machine, but it better be for nearly $70,000. I'd forgoe some of the cab amenities for a real workhorse for less $$.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
dang man who told you 70k, i was told 51k. i couldnt imagine that lazy swine with a 30'' bucket on it. thats a huge bucket for a mini.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
is a kom. pc78 about the same size as a 308? anyone know?

Scag48
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Something doesn't seem right. The 305C CR is one of the highest spec'd machines in its class, n 24" bucket should be cake, let alone an 18". Not sure what's up.

ksss
09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
dang man who told you 70k, i was told 51k. i couldnt imagine that lazy swine with a 30'' bucket on it. thats a huge bucket for a mini.

The 305CCR I priced with coupler, thumb and 3 buckets was about 72K if I remember right.

The price was so far out, I never bothered to run the machine. I wish I had though just to see how it ran.

AWJ Services
09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
The 305C CR is one of the highest spec'd machines in its class,

I gave up on specs.LOL

Takeuchi and my Kubota are better than Cat.
Cat C series are much improved but still behind.
I like my Kubota so much I would brush my teeth with it if I could get the thumb too hold my tooth brush.:drinkup:

Scag48
09-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I gave up on specs.LOL

I like my Kubota so much I would brush my teeth with it if I could get the thumb too hold my tooth brush.:drinkup:

That's not really true. The 305CCR is right up there with Tak and Kubota on paper and have heard through various accounts that what happens in the field is pretty close to what's written down.

The 305C CR must be a good enough machine for KSSS to even CONSIDER running one, enough said.

Dirtman2007
09-26-2008, 12:38 AM

I've got a 30" on the tak TB135 and a 36" on the Yanmar Vio55. Both machines handle the bucket size just fine even with a bucket full of wet, heavy mud.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 12:40 AM
How you guys liking that Vio? My buddy loves his, I think he's getting close to 900 hours on it by now. I liked running it, wished it had a little more crowd force when things get tough. Other than that, it'll lift quite a bit for a machine it's size.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 12:55 AM
maybe this dirt is just to hard, its rock soild clay. you could drive a gravle train over it and not leave any marks. i will take it to some easier dirt to dig tomorrow.

i got a price for a 305 with a 12'' 24'' 36'' thumb coupler for waaaay less then 72. i cant remember the exact $ but it was around 56k

P.Services
09-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Scag48
09-26-2008, 12:59 AM
You gotta remember, once you get into super hard ground, any machine will struggle. Hell, we hit hardpan with our 400's and they start tossing cookies left and right. If we have teeth that are over 1 week old, we're spinning the tires trying to get through the ground. So, hard ground really can put a damper on things. I say give it a shot in "average" conditions and see how it does, it should be a great perfromer.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 01:03 AM
i will do so. does cat offer a bucket larger then 24'' for a 305? thats not a ditcher.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes, you should be able to get up to a 36", but I'd recommend a 30" for general digging. Guys get hung up on having big buckets, but cycle times tend to suffer with the larger buckets, basically nulling out any advantage you thought you had. Spread that over an 8 hour day and a bigger bucket is almost less productive. Unless you're handling loose material, anything over 30" is almost going backwards. The buckets are so small the extra 6" in width really doesn't add much capacity anyway. Just something to keep in mind.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 01:09 AM
ok im going to clear my head of 305 hate and give her one more try in easier, normal conditions.

Dirtman2007
09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
How you guys liking that Vio? My buddy loves his, I think he's getting close to 900 hours on it by now. I liked running it, wished it had a little more crowd force when things get tough. Other than that, it'll lift quite a bit for a machine it's size.

Overall it's a good machine, fast and smooth. But it really needs some more weight added to the rear. I know its a zero turn machine but it rocks like a three legged chair.

ksss
09-26-2008, 01:39 AM
maybe this dirt is just to hard, its rock soild clay. you could drive a gravle train over it and not leave any marks. i will take it to some easier dirt to dig tomorrow.

i got a price for a 305 with a 12'' 24'' 36'' thumb coupler for waaaay less then 72. i cant remember the exact $ but it was around 56k

Well I am sure I got the dedicated CASE customer discount from CAT. Thats why I never bothered to run the machine.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Overall it's a good machine, fast and smooth. But it really needs some more weight added to the rear. I know its a zero turn machine but it rocks like a three legged chair.

I found it to be fairly stable when lifting. Could be that when setting stone and the like I always had the blade down and in front of me. However, my buddy has 580 size hoepac on that little machine and it slings it around fully extended fairly nicely and I rarely had the blade down doing that stuff. I did notice than when digging through tough ground having the blade down really helps keep the machine on its heels.

The nature of these little machines is bouncing around. I can't hardly get on a little machine any more without flailing around for a little while. Even a 200 seems rough riding compared to a 400 now that I've been exposed to that.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 01:47 AM
all right let me ask the "junior" question of the night... how are the pins held in place on the cats? basically what tools should i take in the morning to swap buckets?

scag, can you or do you go back and fourth at work between cat and deere/kom. controls or do they have them all set up the same?

Scag48
09-26-2008, 01:53 AM
All our hoes run Cat controls, or excavator controls. Boom in the right, stick in the left. That's pretty much the standard around here. If you get in a hoe with Deere controls it's a rare occasion. I can run Deere controls but I'm screwed up for a good half hour. I like to not have to do anything terribly precise running Deere controls as well.

So the demo machine you have right now doesn't have a pin grabber on it?

P.Services
09-26-2008, 01:55 AM
no its a pin on bucket, i forgot to look today and see what i needed to pull the pins out. and it has cat controls so that is going to change tomorrow to.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 02:00 AM
As long as you don't come out here to run a hoe, you'll be fine. Running Deere controls in a Cat, that's a crime.

I've never had to take any pins out. IIRC, on my dad's 303, they're all secured at the end by a bolt running perpendicular to the pin. Not 100% sure what the 305C is like.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 02:05 AM
my dads 200 is set up custom is it deere....

left hand, left is swing left. right is swing right. pull back the main boom goes up. push forward the main boom goes down.

right hand, left curls the bucket. right spills the bucket. pull back crowds the dipper stick in push out dipper goes out.

i can run cat proficiently after a little warm up but i have been running his controls for 3,000 hours.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 02:13 AM
All that was done was a swap in the pilot lines, people did it all the time before pattern changers existed. That is Deere/backhoe controls.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 02:16 AM
yeah he had them do it when they plumbed the thumb

mrsops
09-26-2008, 02:39 AM
Something doesn't seem right. The 305C CR is one of the highest spec'd machines in its class, n 24" bucket should be cake, let alone an 18". Not sure what's up.

24'' is cake scag the main reason why i bought a 305c cr was because of the incredible power when breaking the frost when i demoed it. I mean when its 18 degrees out and i got the machine and one scoop broke the frost i was very impressed

mrsops
09-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Overall similar reaction here:

Machine was very nice, cab great, auto idle a plus. Cold A/C, quiet, smooth.

Blade moved really slow, too easy for me to engage the float option accidentally. I kind of wish that the side boom was proportional rather than just an electric switch on the joystick. Not easy to be smooth.

I thought the machine had nice digging power with a 30" tooth bucket but was quite tippy with any sort of full bucket. Felt very unstable and made me uneasy at times backfilling around an elaborate framework.

Really a very nice machine, but it better be for nearly $70,000. I'd forgoe some of the cab amenities for a real workhorse for less $$.

machine has great digging power i dug a few pools with a 30'' tooth bucket and i know what you mean about it feeling a little tippy thats because its a zero tail but its not going to tip

mrsops
09-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I gave up on specs.LOL

there is nothing behind about the new cat c series at all have you even ran one yet?

AWJ Services
09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes.
When I say behind I mean slightly.
The old 305 machines where miserable.
The C series much better.
The Kubota machines have really fast cycle times compared too the other machines I have run.The Takeuchi have a really strong curl and it takes a different approach too digging.The Kubota seems too have a better balance between the arm and curl which in my conditions speeds up digging.
The old 305 had terrible curl and made it painstakingly slow too dig in tough conditions.The C series improved curl makes a big difference.
I would buy any of them and feel good about it just please not a Bobcat.:)

On these size excavators you hang a thumb and a coupler and it really makes a difference.
I agree that the nature of these size machines is bouncy.
I use a 36inch bucket on mine alot.
It slows it in the hard stuff but septic trenches are either 36" or 30" here.
So the 36" bucket is a necessity.
However depending on what someone is doing with the machine would make a difference on what they purchase.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
ok as soon as i got out of that rock soild clay it worked great. the big complant now is the slow curl of the bucket.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 05:15 PM
all right let me ask the "junior" question of the night... How are the pins held in place on the cats? Basically what tools should i take in the morning to swap buckets?

Scag, can you or do you go back and fourth at work between cat and deere/kom. Controls or do they have them all set up the same?
hey!!!!!!!

Junior M
09-26-2008, 05:17 PM
machine has great digging power i dug a few pools with a 30'' tooth bucket and i know what you mean about it feeling a little tippy thats because its a zero tail but its not going to tip
I bet it took forever to dig those pools! it takes our guy nine hours with a like a 44" bucket i think.. I am not exactly sure but it is the biggest bucket a john deere 410 backhoe will handle, he has told me that much about it..

AWJ Services
09-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Nine hours too dig a pool?
Is it about 150 foot long?

Junior M
09-26-2008, 06:31 PM
He gets travel time (he is hard to get he is always booked), and he gets there at about 7:30 or 8 am and the real pool contractor gets there at like nine or ten, and then there is the lay out process, which can take 45 minutes or four hours, just depends on where it is to be located and how much of an elevation change there is, and he has to dig 4 feet deep in an area the size of the deep end, along with the overdig, and then layout the deep end, dig that, and get back off and try and figure out the shape of the very bottom. by then he has alot of dirt stockpiled and then the truck shows up and he loads that one, and then he digs some more until he has no where else to put dirt and he has to wait on the truck, and load it when it finally gets there and grade check himself while digging (he is a one man show) but yeah that is basically the whole process.. and when he is working dont dare get in his way to check grade, I wont leave my spot off to the side until he throttles down the backhoe or to move to dig some more..

AWJ Services
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I bet it took forever to dig those pools! it takes our guy nine hours with a like a 44" bucket i think..

You said dig.
No mention of the rest.
Maybe they actually work a full day so they may dig it in 4 hours with a 30" bucket?:dizzy:

Scag48
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds like the guys doing the pools out there waste a lot of time, Jr.. Show up at 10? Are you kidding me?

mrsops
09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Sounds like the guys doing the pools out there waste a lot of time, Jr.. Show up at 10? Are you kidding me?

down south boys there in no rush :laugh: up north by me you can kiss your ass goodbye showing up at that time

Scag48
09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
No kidding. Our crews start at 6 if we can. We're starting at 7 because we have a curfew of 7 to 7 during week, 9 to 6 on the weekends. We've been working full tilt running that curfew to the last minute for the last 6 weeks, I've been doing 70 hours pretty solid for about a month. Today has been the first day I've been off work before 3, ever.

AWJ Services
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
If the contractor shows up 2 hours after me then he still gets charged for me sitting.If it runs into the next day then more money.
There is no way I would flat rate a job like that.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 09:04 PM
You said dig.
No mention of the rest.
Maybe they actually work a full day so they may dig it in 4 hours with a 30" bucket?:dizzy:
Laying out and hauling dirt is all part of what we consider digging a pool. and yeah I hate starting that late the guy always wants to start earlier, especially when it is hot. And no I am not kidding you, when his work slows down in the winter months he will start his business day at 11 or 12.. I really hate that crap! I would rather start early and have the rest of the day to waste compared to wasting the middle of the day like they do.. But when we did his irrigation two weeks ago I was basically the boss because him and the two guys he brought in barely knew how to operate a shovel, and my dad wasnt there that long because he had a ride to go on for his motorcycle club. Well when they asked me what time I was starting I said "ahh get there about 6:15am and we will lay everything out and figure out what we are doing and be rolling by 6:45am" the guy was like WHAT?, Well, umm I dont know I guess we can start that early.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
The first pool we ever built for this contractor was a disaster on time.. He told us to be there at 7:30 because he didnt want to start to early because we were in a big subdivision.. Well we pulled up just as the Pool digger was getting out of his truck, and we bs'ed with him for a while and went in to the backyard and sat there and sat there and sat there, the pool contractor finally showed up at 10.. Then when we gave him the bill he didnt want to pay us for showing up at 7:30. I told him we could go rip the pool out? and we were setting on the job waiting on you and you told us to show up at 7:30. His response was "well, umm yeah, I guess."

Scag48
09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
When I was running the show for my old man, I've pulled equipment off jobs before waiting around. Back when times were good and I had other places I could be working, I wasn't going to wait around. I remember one day I rolled onto the job with the 277B, got unloaded, sat around for an hour before I called the guy running the job to see where he was. Said he was hung up, it was going to be a couple hours. I said screw that, loaded back up, and took off. Got a phone call later that day asking me where I was, said I was out making money. He understood what I meant and I came back 2 days later to get started. Never had that problem again with him. I've had that problem before, only that one time when I actually removed the equipment from the job. Back then, we had 4 pieces, I'd just take my pick at where else I could and spend the rest of the day. I was already running strapped for time with just myself, keeping 4 pieces busy, maintained, and transported between jobs was a full time job for at least 2 people and I was doing it by myself so wasting time definately wasn't on the "to do" list.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah well it is hard for us to pull off a job and go to another one considering our time frame and the way we schedule our work and our limited amount of work.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Doesn't work in times like this when you struggle to get every job you have going on. Back when I was doing that crap, I had more work than I could possibly handle. Working by myself, maintaining all the equipment, moving everything, it was good times though, I miss it. 14 hour days were pretty common, 6 days a week just to keep up. I had 95 acres of orchard to get pulled out of the ground in the spring of '06, I was working weekends only as I was going to college 160 miles away during the week. One weekend between noon on Friday and 6PM Sunday I worked 45 hours. Saturday morning I showed up at 5 and didn't leave until 2AM Sunday morning only to come back at 6 on Sunday and go for another 12 hours.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Doesn't work in times like this when you struggle to get every job you have going on. Back when I was doing that crap, I had more work than I could possibly handle. Working by myself, maintaining all the equipment, moving everything, it was good times though, I miss it. 14 hour days were pretty common, 6 days a week just to keep up. I had 95 acres of orchard to get pulled out of the ground in the spring of '06, I was working weekends only as I was going to college 160 miles away during the week. One weekend between noon on Friday and 6PM Sunday I worked 45 hours. Saturday morning I showed up at 5 and didn't leave until 2AM Sunday morning only to come back at 6 on Sunday and go for another 12 hours.
I love working long hours on when your on a machine out in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a field with some tunes on, its like you just get in a groove and get rolling and dont realize how fast time goes by..

bobcat_ron
09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I love working long hours on when your on a machine out in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a field with some tunes on, its like you just get in a groove and get rolling and dont realize how fast time goes by..

I live doing that too, especially when I let off a massive fart and the birds fly from the trees, that's when I know it was a big one.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I live doing that too, especially when I let off a massive fart and the birds fly from the trees, that's when I know it was a big one.
and you wonder why your single?;)

Scag48
09-26-2008, 09:54 PM
and you wonder why your single?;)

I don't think he wonders, he knows. :laugh:

bobcat_ron
09-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think he wonders, he knows. :laugh:

"The best thing a woman can do is love her husband's gas"......said dear old dad to my mom on their wedding night.

Scag48
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
You Canucks are a crazy bunch. Classy like boxed wine.

stuvecorp
09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Show up at 10? Are you kidding me?

If you are good enough people don't complain, seems to work for me. Why not run bankers hours?

Junior M
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
If you are good enough people don't complain, seems to work for me. Why not run bankers hours?
Here it sucks running banker hours during the summer because it is already hot by 10 and it is a whole lot easier to get started when it is cool and let the heat come slowly onto you than to pull up to a job and its already 100 out and you step straight out of the A/C to get startd, that is hard to do...

stuvecorp
09-26-2008, 11:40 PM
That's why you live up in the north, heat is bad.

Junior M
09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
That's why you live up in the north, heat is bad.
It does suck but our winters are a whole lot better than yours!

Canon Landscaping
09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I rented a 304c cr for a month and it was a great machine the curls is a little slow but I think it is just as fast as the takeuchi power seems to be on par takeuchi I think the cat has a lot more track drive power

stuvecorp
09-26-2008, 11:54 PM
It does suck but our winters are a whole lot better than yours!

Naw, the only sucky part is not being able to do any dirt work. You would probably love plowing snow.

We rented a 305 last year and hated it, had a 304 and it was way better performance wise.

P.Services
09-26-2008, 11:58 PM
We rented a 305 last year and hated it, had a 304 and it was way better performance wise.

i thought all the numbers for a 305 are greater?

stuvecorp
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't know, it just didn't have it. The 304 was very new but I didn't think the 305 was that used up. They both had the same size bucket. Even though I'm a Cat hater, that 304 was smokin.(I do have much respect for the 312C too)

Junior M
09-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Naw, the only sucky part is not being able to do any dirt work. You would probably love plowing snow.

I probably would.. I really dont mind the cold as long as I have adequate clothing. I like the cold alot more than the heat! thats mostly because of hunting season..

AWJ Services
09-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Many of my jobs are 60+ miles one way too work.
So even though I start a 7:00 am I may not start till 10:00am.
My next job is 130 miles one way.
I better get done in one day or I am screwed.LOL

By the way 100 degree weather builds character!
I about froze this morning it was 55 degrees.
I lost my insulated Flip Flops and it was rough.

Junior M
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Many of my jobs are 60+ miles one way too work.
So even though I start a 7:00 am I may not start till 10:00am.
My next job is 130 miles one way.
I better get done in one day or I am screwed.LOL

By the way 100 degree weather builds character!
I about froze this morning it was 55 degrees.
I lost my insulated Flip Flops and it was rough.
Oh tell me about it.. It got down to like 62 the other morning, I thought I was goin to freeze!

CAT powered
09-27-2008, 12:16 AM
I really hope you guys are joking.

You southern boys have no idea what cold is. Call me when you are running OROPS at -5 degrees before windchill. That is cold.

AWJ Services
09-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Heck know we are not joking.

My only advice for the cold is too Move.:)

Georgia has about 20 unbearable days a year usually because of water being mixed in.
We have 20 degree nights often , but we get the 50's during the day so it is not so bad.
No snow and no ice.

CAT powered
09-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't trade the cold here for all the money in the world. You fellers have SNAKES. I absolutely HATE snakes.

I have a Georgia boy workin for me up here right now runnin my big dozer.

I'll take snow and ice over hurricanes any day of the week. I can just hook up the plow and get right back to work after snow or just throw down some salt after ice. It's a lot more expensive and it takes a while longer to clean up after a hurricane.

stuvecorp
09-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't trade the cold here for all the money in the world. You fellers have SNAKES. I absolutely HATE snakes.

I have a Georgia boy workin for me up here right now runnin my big dozer.

I'll take snow and ice over hurricanes any day of the week. I can just hook up the plow and get right back to work after snow or just throw down some salt after ice. It's a lot more expensive and it takes a while longer to clean up after a hurricane.

There's a good reason not to mind cold weather, killer snakes and creppy-crawly things. AWJ, 55 is still short pants weather.:)

CAT powered
09-27-2008, 12:49 AM
And the cold kills all the skeeters.

AWJ Services
09-27-2008, 12:50 AM
We don't get many Hurricanes where I live.:)

You fellers have SNAKES.

I found 3 in the last 2 days.

I have a buddy up in Heartland , New Brunswick and he loves the cold as well.
The good Lord did not build me for that kind of weather.LOL

CAT powered
09-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Anywhere from 50 degrees or so is still short sleeves and anything colder than that gets a jacket.

AWJ Services
09-27-2008, 12:52 AM
AWJ, 55 is still short pants weather

I still had my shorts on and my Flip Flops.

What kills us is waking up and being 48 degrees and then reaching 80+ degrees during the day.

Scag48
09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
You guys bring your purse with you to work as well? 50 degrees cold? Where I come from, we get a wide range of weather. Fairly cold in the winter, typically in the 20's during the day, summers are usually in the mid to upper 90's during July and August and I've worked in 110 degree heat. Not the hottest, not the coldest, but we get a pretty wide spectrum. Here in Seattle, however, rarely gets below 30 during the winter, typically in the 40's, summers are in the 70-80 degree range with the occasional 90 degree days. Then it rains for about 5 months solid as well, that's a real joy.

Tigerotor77W
09-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Then it rains for about 5 months solid as well, that's a real joy.

Correction: it drizzles for five months.

And doesn't it drizzle for something more like ten months? You have between July 4 and September sometime to see the sun. It's like a prolonged prison visit... nine or ten months of solitude and two months of glorious sunshine.

AWJ Services
09-27-2008, 01:42 AM
You guys bring your purse with you to work as well? 50 degrees cold?

Well Mr Fancy Pants you just come on down here and get some of these 95 degree 60% humidity days and grab you a mexican backhoe and get too work.
You just might set a land speed record on the way back up North.LOL
It is bad when the Beaners ask what they will be doing because they are not going too work outside.:laugh:
Most guys cannot handle the long days.
12 hours a day doing manual labor is tough in our heat.
The cold is a cake walk.

Junior M
09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I really hope you guys are joking.

You southern boys have no idea what cold is. Call me when you are running OROPS at -5 degrees before windchill. That is cold.
I have never been on a machine when its that cold but I have hunted at almost that cold.. I think the temperature was 10 and there was a slight wind blowing and a light rain so I can only imagine what the real temperature was with windchill.

I dont mind snakes as long as they arent biting me.. We deal with them alot when were dog driving or just out walking around.. there was a guy that dropped his shotgun like 12 feet because a little black snake fell out of a tree on to his shoulder.. Everybody thought it was pretty funny except for him..

yeah that heat sucks at times but the summer here was really mild compared to normal but my brother worked at a bank and decided he wanted to help us one weekend and he bout didnt make it! and that was in early august when it had kinda cooled down.. He said you guys are crazy to be out here in this heat. he hasnt helped us since then.. haha..

Dirtman2007
09-27-2008, 01:43 PM
It usually does not get too cold here but I do remember one winter of unusual cold. we were doing some pond work and had to pay constant attention to the pumps. If they ran out of gas and you did not get your butt over there quick enough the water in the pump would freeze up and lock the pump up ( it happened to me:hammerhead:) I also remember having to break the thick Ice up on the side of a lake so we could get the drain lines down into the water on open cab the mini ex, about 20 out with a nice 20 mph wind coming across a frozen lake. Talk about freezing you boys off!

NC weather is screwed up. What really get you is in fall when the temp will be 95 degrees at the beginning of the week then drop off to bearly 60 degrees with rain and wind. your body just can't adjust to that type of change in 2 days.

Remember the good Ole saying here is:

If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes; It'll change!