PDA

View Full Version : Laser Question

Farbio
09-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Okay. I just bought a new laser and need help learning how to use it. The first laser I owned was just a basic model that had to be level to function. We had to shoot points and run string lines to create slope. The new laser has a manual overide button so I can tilt the laser and shoot slope into a patio etc. Can somebody give me the steps you would take to set up a pad for a 20 ft. x 20 ft. patio with a 1 to 10 slope?

PatriotLandscape
09-26-2008, 08:03 AM
make and model?

Sunscaper
09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
find your benchmark for the patio. It can be the desired high or low spot. Set up tripod and trun on rotating laser. Take the storypole and turn on the indicator. Set story pole at 0 when you get the flatline on the indicitator on the high end of your finished patio level. Set a grade stake there and mark the bottom of story pole with a marker. Then set your indicator up, not down, 2" or 1.5 of a 1/10 and proceed to mark lower side 20' away for drainage slope. Moving up the pole will lower the mark. Good luck. P.S. if you can get a storypole that reads in 1/10's and has a sliding tape on it so you don't need to do reverse math. Also makes reading site plans way easier.

Sunscaper
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
BTW 1:10 is steep for a patio. ICPI recommends 1/4" per foot or 1:48