PDA

View Full Version : For a home owner... Gear/Belt vs Hydro

Please_Be_Green
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
WalkBehind Gear / Belt vs Hydro...

It doens't really matter for a home owner does it... I won't be cutting often in the rain or even dew covered grass.

I'm just looking for a wider deck and a faster speed to cut 15,000sq/ft.
Last night took me 45 minutes to cut front and side with my 21" residential... Would have been another 25 minutes to cut the back, but the sun was down...

Next year I can't spend an hour and fifteen minutes cutting the grass every 4 days...

Is it resonable to think with a commercial 48" walk behind I can cut 15k sq/ft in 30 minutes. Realatively flat lot, with 4 trees.
basically it's 3 x 5000 sq foot rectangles. (Front, Side & Back)

LarryF
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I live in NJ too. You're welcome to come try my Quick 36. If interested, send me a PM.

dura to the max
10-03-2008, 01:05 AM
if you get a 48" you shouldnt be there more than 15-20 once you get the hang of it )unless you're bagging. i have no problem running gear/belt wb's commercially, i see no issue why you shouldnt. hydro has some advantages, but many disadvantages as well. the gear should be fine for many many years for that size lawn.

Happy Frog
10-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Get yourself a Bad Boy ZT 60".
It will be cheaper than a commercial WB and much much faster.
Although the ZT is sold as a "residential" ZTR, it is a true commercial unit and will last for many, many years.

heybruck34
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I've used a Scag belt drive walkbehind with a velke to cut 6-8 yards after work and on weekends for the last 6 years. No complaints. If it's wet, I wait until later that day or tomorrow. If it's a steep hill and can't drag me up it, I walk.

Choice is up to you. For one yard (your own) belt drive is fine.

PTP
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Belt drive should be fine.

I run a Toro belt drive and have never had it slip except when I used the garden hose directly on the belts. I have cut in the rain, heavy dew, etc. and have had no issues with slipping at all. In fact, when there has been a light rain, the belt actually tends to be somewhat grabby until I use it for a bit.

For a 15,000 square foot lot, 30 minutes is a bit on the high side - especially if you get a velke.