PDA

View Full Version : Fiatallis loader help

TazLandscapes
09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I am trying to help my cousins boss out and help him find a motor for his fiatallis fr9 turbo loader.Any help is appreciated

mike

DiyDave
09-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Try this question over at the unofficial Allis website, just google it, its a big site.:waving::waving:

TazLandscapes
10-05-2008, 01:24 AM
What type of motor is in this type of loader.

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Good luck :laugh:

Trying to find Fat Allis parts is tough. What is wrong with the orginal engine why can't it be fixed ?

Another model engine might have to be retro fitted say a 5.9 Cummins etc.

TazLandscapes
10-05-2008, 02:07 PM
The workers ran it without oil and it blew a rod i think. he has been looking to get a used motor for it. because he needs it for winter.

mike

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Ya once the block has a window its not rebuildable.

Finding a used Allis engine is going to be nearly impossible. There still is rebuild parts out there but ?

I would be looking for a Cat or a Deere loader get rid of the Fat Allis completely.

TazLandscapes
10-05-2008, 03:38 PM
i have told him to get rid of it. but he said no. he got it from another contractor when their contract with the city dump ran out. so he got it cheap. i keep telling him to go across the street to the volvo dealer and get a better machine.
but he wants to rebuild the motor so i have told him to go see what the volvo dealer can help you with but he wants cheap like dirt cheap.

Gravel Rat
10-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Well let him burn his own bridge he will end up dumping a ton of money into a old machine. Must not have many brain cells.

cat320
10-05-2008, 05:21 PM
to pull that engine and put a recon in it will be up to and over $10K and you still have a very old machine you could upgrade to a volvo L50-70 old series like c for in the 50's i think depending on what it has . i would go to machinery trader .com and see whats up with used machines.

ksss
10-05-2008, 06:09 PM
to pull that engine and put a recon in it will be up to and over $10K and you still have a very old machine you could upgrade to a volvo L50-70 old series like c for in the 50's i think depending on what it has . i would go to machinery trader .com and see whats up with used machines.

If he insists on rebuilding the Allis, I would try and find another used Allis loader with a decent engine. Buy a parts machine and you would be money ahead. The Allis is/was a good loader, but of course you can reach a point of steping over dollars to pickup dimes. Sometimes guys will continually rebuild machines that are well past their life cycle and then brag that the machine doesn't owe them anything because its paid for (usually several times over). The machine is also not worth anything. Find a used Allis loader and part it out if this is the way he wants to go.

coopers
10-06-2008, 04:26 AM
KSSS, you're right. I have a friend that owns an old 580B backhoe, and has a Fiat Allis (Allis-Chalmers) 545B and holly cow he rebuilds everything on that damn machine. Both for that matter...I was riding on the loader with him chatting while he screened topsoil and I thought I was going to have steel flying in my face after watching the stress put on the loader hydraulics when moving with 4 yards of soil.

But I'd say that if you want to rebuild then what KSSS said is good advice. Part out another machine. It gets silly after a certain point but some people don't budge.

treemover
10-06-2008, 08:44 AM
you guys are bashing hard on these loaders. They are great machines we picked up one (fr10b) a year and half ago it will out work any new machine out there. Around here there are still a ton of these loaders working daily

jefftb
10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
you guys are bashing hard on these loaders. They are great machines we picked up one (fr10b) a year and half ago it will out work any new machine out there. Around here there are still a ton of these loaders working daily

Looking back I don't think any actually bashed the loader other than the concept of pouring money into a potential bottomless pit. As in, "Gee sir, how about we fill in that there big sinkhole with flowable fill" Umm, yeah.

I bet there are quite a few of those machines working daily. The question is, when an engine block goes and a replacement motor cannot be found/had and you have to begin looking at a retrofit you're talking substantial money to put into a machine that is EOL in production and approaching EOUL in use. A check of machinerytrader.com showed only one FR9 for sale-its in France. For your FR10B there are four for sale-averaging $20,693. What would you do if you needed an engine block for your FR10 and the cost of the replacment motor search/install was 3+ weeks and $10,000 for just the repair. Let's add in the lost revenue we assume is gone (revenue and not profit). If this is high volume use then you better run and find a used loader and get back in the game in a week or less.

If your equipment is used daily and is used to make money (and I assume most members here fall into both categories) then it better have an uptime approaching 95%+.

I know some guys buy old, old, iron and pride themselves on how little it cost them to purchase. Then you find out the machine was out of work for 2-4 weeks during the year while looking for parts or having it repaired. Revenue lost for most big jobs is more than the machine cost in these examples-great business decision.

coopers
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I didn't bash them. I don't think anyone was bashing...we're just saying that a machine that old is hard to find parts for. I think that stating that an older machine can "outwork any new machine" is a little off. A fr10b cannot out work a 2008 john deere 444j or a 544K. That being said, those fiat-allis loaders do, do the job and are good machines. My friend's is still working hard and very powerful. But if I hopped in a 444j/k loader I'd be a tad quicker. :)

coopers
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I know some guys buy old, old, iron and pride themselves on how little it cost them to purchase. Then you find out the machine was out of work for 2-4 weeks during the year while looking for parts or having it repaired. Revenue lost for most big jobs is more than the machine cost in these examples-great business decision.

I agree 100%. My friend is one of those and it just kills me that he doesn't upgrade to a little newer. If he had to do some of the more rigorous jobs with his old case backhoe he'd probably have the hoe fall off in a day. He has had a lot of down time with that machine trying to fix it and such rather than work. He also limits himself to only using the backhoe and not using excavators or other machines that fit the job better...but that's another topic.

Fick Supply
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
We had a 645B Fiat at one time. Engine went bad with 3500hours on engine. Found a similar serial# series engine with low hours from a generator sales company.

grassmanvt
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Check out machinery trader and do a used parts search. I would say this is far from a lost cause, there are a ton of these old fiats out there and while not my favorite rigs I had one and it was ok, mine was a ton older (old 545) May also want to check eddie nash and sons in colebrook nh, tons of machines, running and not, also. hill martin corp. They had/have a local branch here and sold a ton of fiat-allis machines, still have many parts on the shelves, even for that old 545 I had.