PDA

View Full Version : Complaints, yes I am a woman! What?

lpkatsavage
09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
I know times are hard right now for some, but if people cant afford to get their grass cut, then they should not ask someone to do it and then not pay. It is not fun collecting past due balances from broke people. Also, people complaining about a price increase or fuel surcharge saying they dont understand why I would do that. Come on people. Gas is $4 a G! One other thing, not trying to offend anyone here, but I try to run a respectable by the book kind of biz. I am so mad that I am getting under bid by these people that dont have to pay, I am sorry,"wont pay", payroll taxes, or any tax for that matter, dont have liability insurance or workmans com, therefore charge less, and get to keep ALL of it. Needed to vent. I am sure others feel the same and just deal. Thats just what I will do.

LB1234
09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
welcome to the site:waving:

P.Services
09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
welcome to the site:waving:

no.... welcome to the industry

DeepGreenLawn
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM

that says it all...

Uranus
09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
The sad thing is that when you get nasty with them about their 3 month over due bill they get offended.

LB1234
09-27-2008, 08:40 AM

LOL!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You are right....MUCH MUCH more accurate. I was going for something along the lines of everyone on this site complains about this. But I understand we see it all the time.

Just passed a guy on Thursday afternoon pulling a trailer with his tacoma with the magnetic sign "Joe Blow Lawn Mowing" pulling this tiny trailer with a home depot/lowes cub cadet rider behind it. My brother and I just laughed. Trust me, we don't want his accounts for what he is charging.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-27-2008, 02:33 PM
that says it all...

No Welcome to the good ole USA !

nobagger
09-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I didnt see how long you have been in business but unfortunalty this is an ugly side. If I went back through the books I bet there is at least a few hundred bucks I will never see. I'm taking a lady to court on 10/16 for a bill that was 100 bucks or so LOWER than her estimate that she didnt feel she had to pay! Some people are definetely out there! If you get the "funny feeling" about them, trust your gut! All I can say is it will happen you just need to screen some customers better.

yardmanlee
09-27-2008, 06:20 PM
hope ya feel better !!!

KrayzKajun
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Could not have said it better myself!

lpkatsavage
09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I have been in the biz for awhile. Took it over when my husband passed. He started it in 1993. It just seems like more and more people that you wouldnt expect to not pay, dont. I am out so far this year about $5000. Thats including a job that was worked and was way under bid, I screwed myself on that one.

I wish my daddy bought me a brand new truck sooped up on steroids to pull the brand new exmark and new 8 ft trailor he got me. I am just being a SA.

topsites
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
So, they want something for nothing you say?
And, someone else gives it to them?

That's crazy.

The sad thing is that when you get nasty with them about their 3 month over due bill they get offended.

And THEN they really don't pay, you ever run into that?

Not like they were going to, but it's like now they feel entitled not to :p
Too funny.

pdenney11
09-27-2008, 07:36 PM

You are right....MUCH MUCH more accurate. I was going for something along the lines of everyone on this site complains about this. But I understand we see it all the time.

Just passed a guy on Thursday afternoon pulling a trailer with his tacoma with the magnetic sign "Joe Blow Lawn Mowing" pulling this tiny trailer with a home depot/lowes cub cadet rider behind it. My brother and I just laughed. Trust me, we don't want his accounts for what he is charging.

My town is overflowing with these people. It's sad but it makes me look oh so much better.

TXNSLighting
09-27-2008, 10:21 PM
This is one of the main reasons i stopped mowing and landscaping!

PLM-1
09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
So far, between this year and last, we have uncollected accounts totaling ~$34.5k. Don't get me started on this "industry". ...I think I may start a collection agency.

Charles
09-28-2008, 07:49 AM
I was owed $1200 between 3 customers until last week. All I can say is stay after them until they pay. Collections is a BIG part of this business. I find that being nice, friendly, persistent and relentless pays off when collecting. Much of it is the principle of the thing. I make time to either call, write and/or go visit in person.. Ya some feel entitled not to pay and I make sure they know that I don't respect entitlements :nono:

Every year, you see more and more LCOs running around.. Mini vans to Hummers pulling lawncare equipment. 7 days a week, I see 10 or so when out riding around

AI Inc
09-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I keep sending invoices , sometime 2-3 a week. Seems after a few weeks the check comes and the signature will always be the wifes. I think it tends to stress them out and they want you off their mind.

miltthemower
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the industry. There will be a@#$hole in this industry you will have to deal with. Each one is a learning lesson. Just keep it moving. They will find another sucker to do it for cheap with less experience and ruin their yard. They will then call you back. Now you have the advantage. It has happened to me several times. I do ensure that I get paid up front prior to work. If not I keep it moving.

sweetz
11-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I do ensure that I get paid up front prior to work. If not I keep it moving.

There ya go. Same as me. Some WILL NOT do that, but oh well. To them just say I'm sorry but that's the way I run my business, thank them for their time & walk away.

miltthemower
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
It is easy to get caught up chasing a client for $40 or $50. Easier to take a loss and find 5 more to replace that client.

dwc
11-03-2008, 09:22 PM
It is easy to get caught up chasing a client for $40 or $50. Easier to take a loss and find 5 more to replace that client.
and this is exactly why people trample all over this industry and think they don't have to pay. When there are NO consequences for their actions they will abuse you.
At the very least go to olddebts.com and put it on their credit. It works! When they go to buy a new car or something they call BEGGING you to take it off.

Mrs. H
11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
and this is exactly why people trample all over this industry and think they don't have to pay. When there are NO consequences for their actions they will abuse you.
At the very least go to olddebts.com and put it on their credit. It works! When they go to buy a new car or something they call BEGGING you to take it off.

And for $80 I've got David to go to court for a $1500 clean up/tree job he did last March. The guy thinks there is no consequence. Just wait till a judge sees the before and after photos.

Now all his buddies who havn't paid are volunteering to make their payments to avoid suit.

miltthemower
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
What do you do with a contractor that you subed out and did a piss poor job. But got paid. Now I am paying the client back money for a job he did not do very well.

CapitalLawnGroup
11-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Yea Down here in FL seems like every third vehicle has a little freaking home made rig with a Home Cheepo rider on it. I'm not saying I have the nicest rig, but atleast I have professional equipment, running an LLC and doing everything legit. I'm just hoping that all these people who are only doing it because they HAVE to die out soon, and leave it to us people who LIKE doing it.

coolluv
11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
And for $80 I've got David to go to court for a $1500 clean up/tree job he did last March. The guy thinks there is no consequence. Just wait till a judge sees the before and after photos.

Now all his buddies who havn't paid are volunteering to make their payments to avoid suit.

Don't want to high jack the thread, but what did you and David eventually do? I know you talked about closing the doors and moving to Ohio. I was just curious.

Dave...