PDA

View Full Version : Do you have sales guys and how do you pay them?

DeepGreenLawn
09-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I have posted this before about my new sales guy. I have an issue with the amount of money I am able to put toward him, especially this being the end of the season. Next spring is when he will be required, not needed, required, so this fall has been great in getting him comfortable and being able to train him properly. He has already made a few sales, more than I was expecting, and I believe has put out a few more estimates as well today.

Now... as far as paying him... right now it is by the hour, cheap, not what I wanted to do but what I can afford with limited hours. We have discussed this already and he is working on becoming a subtitute teacher with the local schools so he can still make some spending money. He has little overhead but wants to make enough money to afford to marry his girlfriend. The plan is to bring him on starting with sales and move him up to tech and then supervisor. He is not one to start his own company surprising enough, I have had enough of those to know one when I see one, so this way I can train him properly and know he is a good "investment."

Any thoughts on what the going pay is and how to go about doing it? Straight hourly pay? Commission? Mix? How do you do commission with our services? I am going to do ALL I can to keep him through the winter to get to spring and then from there I doubt this will be an issue... we are expecting more than enough business... may have to bring on a second sales person to keep up with the amount of work. The base of my business is not set properly and we are getting ready for next spring now... getting kinks worked out and preparing for the influx of customers and calls. I am more excited about next year and the signs that it is showing it will be like. We are doubling our marketing campaign and expecting a VERY high call volume. We are also adding a new program to the company for customers to choose from. Have been throwing it out there for new customers this fall and most really like the idea... existing customers like the idea as well. I think it will be easy to sell and make my life easier treating as well... it will be a different way of doing things, more visits, but the costs are built in to the extra work...

SO, back on topic...

How do you pay your sales people if you have any?

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I had one. Looking for another... But commision is the only way to go. Mine being lighting is a bit diff. But If they completely sell the job without me being involved he gets 10 dollars a light. If i have to do any selling he gets 5 bucks a light. But thats for lighting so it will differ for lawn and landscape. Id guess 5 or 10% of the job For you.

DeepGreenLawn
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
That is what I can't figure out... 5-10% of what? The years total? When he has his own route then he will get 5-10% of the profits from that route so he will grow it and take care of it like he should. Something to give him incentive to do a good job. Until then... by the hour I guess?

Next spring he should have his own route... then it will all be worked out...

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
If its mowing 5% of the monthly gross, landscape 5% of the job. I think its fair, maybe theres others to chime in.

DeepGreenLawn
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
lawn care... not maintenance, chems only... but I get what your saying...

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
O so your a sprayer? you dont mow or anything?

DeepGreenLawn
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
not now... just spraying and A&O... I plan on bringing the mowing in later... I did the maintenance before, got hired with a FD down south, shut it down, got hired with a FD back home, came back and decided to go the chem route first...

If things keep going like they are I see my company doing maintenance in two years...

carcrz
09-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I am in the process of looking for a salesman for next year's services. The plan as of right now is 10% commission per service per customer for the customer's first year. There has to be some incentive for the salesman to get new customers in following years.

DeepGreenLawn
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I am thinking of making my new sales guy a route tech. Then he will be both... services his customers, handles his customers, and sales to new customers... he will then have incentive to keep the customers happy and grow his route. Once he grows his route big enough and we have to break it up he may be come a route manager? Have them work up the ladder... they can keep growing or they can grow it to the point that they don't want any more and keep their current customers happy. They HAVE to keep a full route going once they get there though... otherwise they are out of here...

they will then have a profit sharing type deal at the end of the year for their routes... depending on their quality of work and customers satisfaction... it will basically be in the form of a bonus...

the company I worked with before kept up with the amount of customers each truck treated for each day... I didn't really like that... more of a race to see who could do more rather than making sure they do a quality job as they go... they are to grow their route properly but at the same time maintain the quality of work and customer service...

A truck can service 300 customers max? I am considering having my trucks max out at about 200-250 so he can spend more time with the customer doing quality work rather than be rushed to move on to the next yard... I know the money issue but I feel it is worth the sacrifice of the added income to keep my customers happy... well.... I don't know... I just ran the numbers and that is a lot of cash I would be giving up... I would definitely make sure they had a chance to do quality work... if they are close and tight enough then that number could easily be done... I have done 20 in a day and had plenty of time left over and the route wasn't even that tight...