PDA

View Full Version : Tackling Clover...now...or next season?

Summett
09-27-2008, 11:22 AM
This a first year lawn, so my attention has been to thicken up the lawn throughout the summer & fall, so I haven't addressed the weeds in the yard because of the overseeding.

I'm not too concerned about the most of the weeds, as i will address most of them the start of next years season. But, i was wondering about the clover that i have. Should i attempt to tackle it this fall, or should i wait until next year to treat it?

I just used an Aera-vator & overseeded 3 weeks ago, and looks like young grass is sprouting. Concerned about that if i take care of the clover now.

I haven't weed & feeded all year, i've been mainly using starter fertilizer throughout the year. What are your thoughts about working on the clover now...or next spring?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

PSUturf
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
You need to wait about a month after germination before applying herbicide. The one exception to this rule is the herbicide Buctril but I don't know how well it will control clover. If you have a decent amount of new grass coming up it would be best to wait until spring to treat the clover.

Whitey4
09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree with PSU... I would be reluctant to spray new seedlings until after 3 mows, and then the clover will likely be going dormant, so treating won't be as effective. I'd go after the clover in the spring with fert and two broadleaf apps 2 to 3 weeks apart. I would treat for winter weeds after 3 mowings tho....

greendoctor
09-29-2008, 05:07 AM
You need to wait about a month after germination before applying herbicide. The one exception to this rule is the herbicide Buctril but I don't know how well it will control clover. If you have a decent amount of new grass coming up it would be best to wait until spring to treat the clover.

Buctril is a contact herbicide only and it is also prohibited in residential and public areas. I have used Quicksilver to burn down broadleaf weeds in newly sprigged or seeded lawns when the weeds are threatening to smother the grass trying to develop. This buys me time until the grass can tolerate a systemic herbicide.

Summett
09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys for the input. Looks like i'll stay on track and tackle it next season. Appreciate the help.