PDA

View Full Version : other aspects of lawn business

Stephen
01-01-2000, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have any other ideas on how i can grow my lawn business into a year round operation besides snowplowing which i currently do? My season currently runs from april to nov. and then snow season. I service 92 lawn accounts and about 40 snowplowing. I am looking for other ideas that i can add to have a steady year round income. All help is appreciated.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

Eric ELM
01-01-2000, 03:47 PM
This winter, you can do about anything but mow grass. Clean out the house gutters, trim bushes and trees, I've even heard some are putting down mulch. Some do Christmas lighting and take it down. Some take on winter jobs with the understanding you have to plow when it is needed and can get off then. I used to be a Union Carpenter and I know how to do plumbing and electrical, so work seems to find me. All the neighbors know I'm available during this time and have a list for me to do. If you know computers, there are a lot of ways there to make money too. I am getting into retouching old or damaged photos for people. I have learned a lot this winter about web designing, which is fun to do. I could go on and on, but instead, look at an old forum which this one just replaced, because there are a lot of good sugestions there. You can still go there to read old posts, but don't post there, just here. I hope this helps. Here is the old site. http://www.hallofforums.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/chuck/dcforum/dcboard.cgi<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Stephen
01-04-2000, 11:29 AM
thanks for the help. anyone have other ideas on expansion? any input from guys who do fertilizer apps?<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

Lazer
01-04-2000, 11:49 AM
I would have a few more snowplowing accounts. Snowplowing is far more profitable per time spent than lawn care. I make slightly more in the 4 winter months than I do in 7 summer months. <p>The big companies in my area do A LOT of pruning in the winter when they're not plowing. One company brought on the &quot;Chrismas Decor&quot; franchise, so they'll be busy doing that. We won't do Chrismas stuff because it could interfere with snow removal.

thelawnguy
01-04-2000, 12:13 PM
I guess it depends on where you are. Here in southern new england you either get buried with snow, or none at all, which is the present case.<p>It was suggested to me to get a job delivering heating oil, most co's will give you a day off if you need to plow. Ill get my class B thru some school bus co then quit and get my tanker endorsement and deliver oil next winter.<p>Bill

jeffclc
01-04-2000, 03:47 PM
It seems like someone with a truck and tools is always in demand. Once people get word that you are available, dependable, and have some basic skills, they find something for you to do. I have always had some project going in the off season. Some have been home improvements at home, some have been helping others on their home improvement projects. <p>Currently, I am helping a neighbor that owns an apartment building(aka ghetto) gut a few units and start over. A lot of it is dummy work, ripping up flooring, bathroom, kitchen. They will be painted, carpeted, cleaned, ect. He knows that I am not an expert in these fields, but then again, he is not paying me the wages of a professional. I can come and go as I want, and there is a standing rule that lawn and snow work come first. It is a win-win situation. He gets his units remodeled at a reasonable price, and I keep busy, and gain sone experience. <p>My &quot;green&quot; season has been getting longer and longer with each year. I am usually fairly busy till mid December, and start up again in mid March. I can hardly believe that I only have 2 1/2 months till green season. <p>I also try to do some upgrade/repair projects on my equipment. This winter, I want to paint the trailer, and do some repair work on my truck. I can do these type of jobs only in the off season, because during green season, I cannot tie up the equipment for any length of time, so now is perfect.

DynaMow
03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I do courier work, also good for rainy days in season