PDA

View Full Version : Ladders

bthomaskelly
09-27-2008, 02:47 PM
What size ladders do you guys send out with your crews? Do you put up ladder mounts on your truck? I know whatever the job, bring the right tools, but do you send out certain set just to cover jobs?
Kelly

David Gretzmier
09-27-2008, 11:57 PM
a 5 foot and 6 foot, both little giant ( not little giant fakes !) will do probably 60-70% of our jobs. we have one 40 foot to share among 4 crews, and use it probably 2-3 days per week Nov. 1- Dec. 10 install. since the 6 foot little giant can go to 26 feet, we have 2, 32 foot ladders, one or 2 went out each day between 3 crews last year, and we really need that to be a permanant fixture on each truck. with the 2 litle giants and a 32 foot extension, we can do 95 % of our jobs.

bthomaskelly
09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Perfect! I feel like all my ducks are getting in a row, and ready to rock this stuff. I like to do things right the first time and you sharring your experience with us is gold.
Kelly

David Gretzmier
09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
no prob. check craigslist.com in your area, post a want to buy ad for little giant ladders, and look for sale general merchandise little giants. they cost a bit to ship, and on ebay the prices run high sometimes.

Christmas Pro
10-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Each of my 4 man crews has a 5ft, 6ft and 15ft A-Frame and then for extension ladders they have a 16ft, 20ft and 24ft. We have 2 40ft ladders as well, but they only go out when needed.

Almost all of our customers are 2 or 3 story.

Elite Outdoor
10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
My crew uses 1 Little Giant ladder, they are heavy but I consider them a must, 1 20 footer because its ultra-light, and a 28 footer for 2 story roof lines, peaks and gables. I have a ladder rack on my truck (one sided) that holds my two extension ladders, and I put the little giant in the back of my truck.

Signature Landscaping1
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
8 and 12 ft Orchard ladders.

turf hokie
10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
We run:
1 24' little giant (a must)
1 28' extension
1 10' A frame
1 6' A frame
1 8' Orchard
1 step stool (need it more than you would think)

We share the 40' Extension and 16' Orchard.
When we hit our 3rd crew I will get another Orchard but the 40' is only needed on a handful of jobs.

We also barter for a 30' bucket truck for the season and bring in a 60' on some of the bigger trees. The bucket is a real nice convenience.

Signature Landscaping1
10-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Forgot to add:
40' extension
30' extension
24' Little Giant

David Gretzmier
10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm at the louisville expo this weekend, and today I picked up the new little giant ultra light or mega-light evolution. it is 10 pounds lighter in the 4 foot and 12 pounds lighter in the 5 foot. no 6 foot in the lighter one yet. still rated at 300 pounds per side. the lighter ones are wonderful, like a feather.

The nice thing about little giants is they take up less space in the vehicle and turn into small a-frames, big a-frames or small/medium extension ladders. a five foot and 6 foot little giants are all you need on about 75% of my jobs. why carry 6? add the 32, and your set. with larger crews, you would need to add another little giant or 2.

If you want the off brand cheap little giant type ladder, I've got 3 broken ones at my shop that lasted one season. the good news is at recycled aluminum is 75 cents a pound, at 54 pounds they are worth 35 bucks melted down.

hotrod1965
10-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I have a gorrilia 21 footer, which is a little giant clone. It is three years old. beat up, but still works great.

I did see the new little giants last week, they have nicer rung locks on them now, far easier to adust the ladder. That alone wouldmake me buy one of those next time.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
11-21-2008, 01:20 AM
What do you guys recommend for a size and brand of orchard ladder?

Cant find them on craigslist I tried just googling them and only find a couple dealers... any suggestions?

turf hokie
11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
What do you guys recommend for a size and brand of orchard ladder?

Cant find them on craigslist I tried just googling them and only find a couple dealers... any suggestions?

Go to your local nursery/landscape supplier. Brand really does not matter IMO, but size depends on what type of work you do. We have 12 and 15'.

David Gretzmier
11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not an orchard ladder fan, but a friend of mine said they are extremely hard to find. I would check out gemplers.com, they have a lot of farm stuff.

NightLightingFX
11-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I have suspected that David knows what he is talking about. Now I know he knows what he is talking about.

A Little Giant is the ONLY way to go. I have two of them the basic standard one and the Little Giant pro series 26 model. The series 26 will extend out to 23 feet. Don't be a cheapscate and scimp on your safety. These ladders are the BOMB!!! I don't know why more contractors don't use them? I guess most contractors want to be cheap when it comes to safety. David said it all about the benefits of the little giant except they safer and lighter than the imitations.

Little Giant also has the skyscraper that is an "A" frame ladder/orchard type ladder that will reach 21 feet see http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/skyscraper.html

If you ignor David's advice re: the benefits of a Little Giant ladder, and you buy any other ladder than a Little Giant you are a DUMB A$$ - I hope I didn't offend anyone but you really are stupid if you are in the business of climbing ladders and you don't have a Little Giant.
~Ned

turf hokie
11-22-2008, 06:48 AM
I agree that a little giant should be on every truck. We use the fiberglass that turn into 23'? extension ladders.

However, the orchard ladders are needed for what we do as well. We do a lot of branch wrapping and these are the only way to get into the middle of a 15-20 foot tree without climbing in the tree. And being that a lot of these trees wont support the weight of someone climbing in it, much less the safety factor, the orchard ladders are important.

David Gretzmier
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
we tight wrap trees with little giants all day long. ( Literally ) also, they allow us to have one set of legs taller or shorter than the other, so we can handle uneven ground as well. the ability to grow a stepladder from 6 foot tall to 12 feet tall? priceless. to have a 23 foot ladder that fits inthe back of a truck or minivan, sweet. my guys want the 7 foot version, and they don't even make a 7 foot version.

the new little giants, I think the evolution series, are lighter still. I am hoping for a 6 foot version, but they currently only have the 4 and 5 foot.

turf hokie
11-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Oh crap, David, did we just put a new spin on the buy vs rent thread and call it orchard ladders, yes or no??

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
However for reasons stated for getting into the trees one pole gets in there in between branches much better than a little giant ( which I use all the time)

I bought a little giant as soon as I thought of doing any outdoor climbing, I use it for gutters, lights, garland, wreaths, etc. Orchard Ladders have there uses also, from what I have learned trough research.

I agree ones safety is the main issue and I would rank that above anything else. But there is also a reason why farmers use these ladders all day long and have been for many many years.

David Gretzmier
11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
They also make a little giant orchard ladder. it has a extendable third leg to go with the extendable ladder side. 200 bucks shipped. I think it goes from 4 foot to 8 foot step.

I wish that the revolution series had a 6 foot or model 26. that sucker is pretty heavy. the newer giants in the 4 and 5 foots are about 10-15 pounds lighter.

I agree that orchards can make tight wrapping faster.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Is it on there web site.... I will go check, thanks!

ecoguy
10-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey guys. Is this the real deal? (yes, I realize this post is years old....)
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10335580&search=little%20giant%20ladder&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=little%20giant%20ladder&Ntt=little%20giant%20ladder&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

David Gretzmier
10-12-2011, 01:05 AM
This appears to be a ladder that little giant makes for costco only. it is priced pretty good for a 1a ( 300 pounds) rated later, and at 31 pounds it weightwise is around the revolution ( 28 pounds ) and the alta one ( 250 pounds rated) ( 30 pounds weight) .

for me though, the revolution 5 foot little giant is the go to ladder for now, as it reaches around 22 foot, and weighs about 38 pounds. it will go pretty much anywhere the 4 footer will go, but it gives you a greater stepladder height for trees, and it extends out higher. it also weighs a bit less than the tradidtional 5 footer. it does however, cost about 400 bucks as opposed to 200 bucks.