PDA

View Full Version : Summer project

stuvecorp
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Here is some pictues of the project we just finished.

stuvecorp
09-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Here is a couple more...

mrusk
09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
The workmanship looks good. The design leaves alot to be desired. I feel you could of accomplished alot more with the same budget if you had a better design. I'd recommened finding a LA to use for design work. The most important thing is to find a LA that understands grading.

punt66
09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I actually like the design. The onlything i would have done different by the pictures is stagger the joints on the steps and a different color wall block. Looks good.

stuvecorp
09-27-2008, 10:55 PM
The workmanship looks good. The design leaves alot to be desired. I feel you could of accomplished alot more with the same budget if you had a better design. I'd recommened finding a LA to use for design work. The most important thing is to find a LA that understands grading.

A LA did the design and we added some tweaks too. What do you have in mind, I like to hear feedback whether it's good or bad. How else can you get better, right?

KrayzKajun
09-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Very nice work!

mrusk
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
A LA did the design and we added some tweaks too. What do you have in mind, I like to hear feedback whether it's good or bad. How else can you get better, right?

I think its to much walls. I would of pulled the first wall as close to the driveway as possible and maybe made it a block taller and then just of grade the top out. Then spent that extra $ on plants.

No matter what you build a wall out of it is still a wall. A nicely graded slope with plants will always look more appealing.

Mike33
09-28-2008, 01:21 AM
I think it looks very nice. I disagree with mrusk i think the design of walls look great. Glad to see someone else hydro-seeds.
mike

punt66
09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I think its to much walls. I would of pulled the first wall as close to the driveway as possible and maybe made it a block taller and then just of grade the top out. Then spent that extra $ on plants.

No matter what you build a wall out of it is still a wall. A nicely graded slope with plants will always look more appealing.

I disagree, it looks stately. A different color, a lighter color would have been better.

Bull
09-28-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm with rusk on this one. It's like you have to look for the house because all of the block overpowers it. I especially don't like the set of tall columns as you get close to the steps and I think the lamps look way to small. Also do something with those dishes so it does'nt look like a news station. Not that you would want to share it but what was the gross / estimate on that job and do you have any before shots?

PatriotLandscape
09-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I would have used an ashlar pattern for the wall and used a more complimentary color. That red just clashes with the siding.

Workmanship looks good, but the project looks out of scale with the house.

Those lamps look silly I'd remove them or put larger onion lamps in.

stuvecorp
09-28-2008, 02:16 PM

There is alot of wall there, it gets massive on the one side. Before the plants were in it was very overpowering. I got to do the plantings and I don't think they wanted as much as I put in, on the other side they are going to plant flowers and perennials to fill in.

Rusk, they used to plow snow up in to the bank so they wanted as much space and it is a working hobby farm so tractors and trucks do come through there. I do like to run the walls up and have it level on the top. Were you thinking to have plantings in layers in the sloping areas? I don't know any LA's that are in this area.

For now they are going to hold off doing any landscape lighting and the lights are just some solar lights they have setting on there. As for the color, debated going with the charcoal color but I thought and the clients did too that that was too much blue/gray, the rose creek is strong but Versa-Lok doesn't have that much color choice. Thought about using the Mosaic block but with the vertical walls thought it would be odd looking. As for the dollars that's something I keep private but we have four and a half semi's of wall and pavers.

PSUturf
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree that the walls overwhelm the house. I think just two tiers and no columns would have looked ok. The photos taken from the sides look good - the walls don't look so massive. Can't complain about the craftsmanship.

mzgloves20
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Looks awesome, just not on that house...

My eye is amazed as it follows the lines of the walls and steps then gets very disapointed once it reaches the house. If the wall had to be that substantial (looks like a big elevation change in a short distance), I would change to a lighter color, lose the enclosed porch and block columns.

Secondly, pack up that entire wall and bring it to my house! Great work!

PlatinumLandCon
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Exactly! When looking from the driveway, it looks like a middle ages castle barrier wall, just too much block.

punt66
09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Exactly! When looking from the driveway, it looks like a middle ages castle barrier wall, just too much block.

Thats because of the color. The middle columns should be removed too.

ANC Stone Creations
09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the wall looks great but massive compared to the house.

I would have to say that I myself would not have put the lower or the middle columns in.
I would have curved your walls into the steps on the lower wall and stepped the wall down with the steps, kinda like you did on the far right side of your lower wall.

Would also agree with stagering the joint lines on the steps.

Keep up the good work, looks great.

Skimastr105
09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
the walls overpower the house. it doesn't quite fit. nice job with the install though!