PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question

ein999
09-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I am prepping my trailer to raise the sides. It is a 10 x 6.

I want to use as a leaf box. Should i raise the sides 1 or 2 feet higher.

i know its not large enough of a trailer to really hold to many leaves and still carry a mower but i am still going to make it work. So how high would you choose if you had a 10 x 6. it is 1 foot high right now.

HighlandLC
09-28-2008, 11:44 AM
As high as you can!
Heck, just " wrap " it with 4x8 plywood sheets. That way you can pile it in without it blowing away as you drive around.

ein999
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
i have to make it higher to get the plywood sheets on there thats the whole reason for raising the sides. a one foot side is not going to hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood very well.

mowerbrad
09-28-2008, 03:18 PM
You don't need to raise the sides of the trailer to put on plywood sides. You can use some 2x4 or 2x6 boards and attach them to your current sides of your trailer via bolts. Once those boards are attached you can then just screw the plywood to the 2x4 or 4x6 boards. Make sure that the 2x4 boards would go the entire height of the plywood.

ein999
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the replys. I have chosen to use a tarp and two tie downs the kind you hand crank kind. Its a keeper brand.
http://www.keepercorp.com/product.htm

Is this a good way what are good and bad points in using a tarp instead of wooden sides. My trailer is only 6x10 so there isnt a lot of room on there either way.

markahurley
09-29-2008, 09:49 PM
bad points in using a tarp as opposed to wooden sides?

you can't pile very many leaves in at all--you'll only be able to slightly "mound them" before they'll be overflowing the trailer

you'll have to pile even less if you plan on putting any equipment back on the same trailer with your "mound" of leaves and tarp

the trailer will have a lot more weight at the back, since you'll probably have to load your equipment after you load the leaves

you'll find the tarp will still start to flap around if you are going any speed over 25, and leaves will be leaving a trail behind you

the tarp idea really is a poor one. if you want to really handle leaves in the most efficient way, wooden sides are your best bet. there's a reason you see a lot more leaf trailers with boards than you do with tarps and ratchet straps.

Runner
09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok...I have a good plan. What kind of mower(s) are you carrying?

Kennedy Landscaping
09-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Tarp will fall apart after a month or so of heavy use. IMO

ein999
09-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I am using a scag 48" advantage. Ill endup putting sides on my truck before i pu them on the trailer becasue it seems like to much trouble and time for what its worth. The trailer is only 10 feet long so i cant really carry a mower so i will have to use the trailer and the truck bed both for leaves and a lot of my accounts have woods in the back so until i get the cleanups with a lot more leaves i will be using the trailer and truckbed tarp method.

Imnot to worried about a tarp falling apart theres no more than 2-3 moths of cleanup here in michigan so i can get another tarp with no problem.

Kglenn04
10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I am using a scag 48" advantage. Ill endup putting sides on my truck before i pu them on the trailer becasue it seems like to much trouble and time for what its worth. The trailer is only 10 feet long so i cant really carry a mower so i will have to use the trailer and the truck bed both for leaves and a lot of my accounts have woods in the back so until i get the cleanups with a lot more leaves i will be using the trailer and truckbed tarp method.

Imnot to worried about a tarp falling apart theres no more than 2-3 moths of cleanup here in michigan so i can get another tarp with no problem.

what part of MI are you from