PDA

View Full Version : String Trimmer Problem

JTurpin
01-03-2000, 02:50 PM
My JD/Echo 21S string trimmer is acting up. I can start out and use it for one yard. It cranks and runs fine. Then the next yard the it won't do anything. Put a new plug in and it's fine for another yard. The plug looks fine when I take it out, not burnt or oily residue. I was told that I need a new coil, by the echo repair man guessing. A coil is around $75 and plus labor and this doesn't include diagnosing the problem. I wonder if I might be better off to just go ahead and invest in a new one since it is 6 years old.

Eric ELM
01-03-2000, 03:52 PM
If everything else on the trimmer is in good shape, it might be worth fixing. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong with a trimmer. I would have them do a compression test on the rings before I had them replace any electronics in it to see if anything else is wrong. Also the clutches could be getting about shot too. Personally, I would just get a new one and get the best you can afford. We have used Shindaiwa trimmers, back pack blower, chain saw and broom and have had great luck with them. I've never owned Stihl, but have heard they are good also. I have owned Echo, but they aren't nearly as good for our needs as the Shindiawa's are. If you have any need for a power broom, check one out. They are neat tools. :)<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Roger
01-03-2000, 05:08 PM
Checked the screen in the exhaust? How about the fuel pickup? <p>Either of them clogged?

accuratelawn
01-03-2000, 05:20 PM
Try cleaning the exhaust port, there could be carbon buildup. Remove the muffler. Look at piston. If there is carbon in the way scrape it out with something softer than the metal...dowl or pencil. Careful not to damage the cylinder or piston.

Eric ELM
01-03-2000, 05:25 PM
Roger, the clogged spark arrestors usually cause a two cycle to not rev up or loss of power, as does an exhaust port that is getting closed off with carbon. Sounds like his runs fine until it gets hot and then won't start again, so it does sound like an electrical problem. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Roger
01-04-2000, 02:31 AM
Eric,<p>I agree about loss of power with clogged port. I wasn't sure what was meant by &quot;..won't do anything.&quot; My experience with clogged ports is that the problem occurs rather sudden, within a few lawns. This has happened with both my Shind.. trimmer and LawnBoy 2 cycle mower. I've not determined why it has happened. Last season it happened only once to my LB, and I never traced the matter to anything I did differently. My only thought was I made a mistake in fuel mix, making it too rich. I thought a too rich fuel mix would make the engine smoke, but such was not the case. In a trimmer, I can see a case where an engine may be used for long periods of time at partial throttle (say, tight trimming). But such is not the case with my LB - always run wide open. I try to use my trimmer/blower wide open most of the time for this reason as well.<br>

Turfy
01-04-2000, 02:11 PM
6 years is pretty good for commercial use of a trimmer, especially an echo. I've experienced alot more problems with clogging on the echos. I prefer a Stihl FS85, more power and durability (replacement parts are easier to get too). Red Max makes a good trimmer, replacement parts are a bit pricey. John Deere has not been overly impressive. Of my 16 trimmers, 12 are Stihl FS85.

louingalls
06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you have problems with string breaking off at head?

offroadrider12
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
check how bright the spark is, it should be blue when you crank it over holding the end of the plug against metal. That should answer your question. Also clean out the carb, a clogged jet will spray gas in funny ways, and sometimes flood it out.

ed2hess
06-05-2009, 07:44 PM
First get a spark tester from Autozone and check the spark in a dark garage. Then tie the unit down on a table start it up and tape the throttle wide open. Just let it run and see what happens.. If it stays running then shut it off and see if it starts. If it won't check for spark. There is some warranty on coil not sure what it is. And put some sea foam in the gas before you start this to help clean up the rings a little.

ALC-GregH
06-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Do you guys realize he has probably went through a dozen trimmers since then? :waving: