PDA

View Full Version : opinion of aquascape and Greg wittstock?

Malibu landscape
09-28-2008, 07:34 PM
What's your opinion of the aquascape product and Greg Wittstock since they have recently gone from Contractor direct sales to sales through a local distributor?
Do you feel the quality of the product has slipped and the company has decided to turn their back on the ones who brought them to the dance?
How about the lack of a pondemonium this year.
Some say the company grew too fast and is in trouble.
What do you think?

Venturewest
09-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I personally think it makes sense to go through a distributor. Every major manu of every industry uses a distributor network. If I can buy product direct from the manu and eliminate the middle man that pretty much eliminates the local distributor.

XStream Aquatics
09-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Whoa, this could get messy. I have alot of friends that know him personally and they all have different opinions of him. I don't know him personally but I think he needs to find out what the heck he wants to do. Every time I turn around I hear is name brought up in something. There's alot of people that are ticked off with this decision. It hasn't effected me in any way yet.

JimLewis
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't know anything about Greg.

But my opinion of Aquascape is about the same as it's ever been. WAY over priced and they push a lot of stuff that isn't necessary. For instance, their expensive Centipede/Snorkel set up for pondless waterfalls is totally unnecessary. I can create a similar setup for less than $150.00.

Aquascape is a marketing company, IMO. They spend 10x more on advertising and promotion than any other pond supply company and that's why they can pawn their stuff for 2x the price of any other pond company. They spend all their money on making you believe they're the best so they can get more of your money.

That's always been my opinion of them and it hasn't changed since Ewing et. al. started distributing for them.

Pennings Gardens
10-15-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm not one to say that one company is the best, I have not been dealing with every company out there. For me and our company, Aquascape works, It works very well. I make sales because the consumer knows aquascape, and our installs are smooth because everything fits, everything works and all my employees are trained!

As for the distributors, I thinks it's a good step for the contractor, yes you pay for it, but you get the back up of very knowledgeable people that are local and you can look them in the face when talking about a problem. (that is if you have a good distributor like I do, Garden State Koi).
And lets be honest, we are not mowing lawns here, we can charge enough to pay a little more also. you know how much it costs if one fitting does not fit during an install?

Pondemonium will be back this year, if you would have been a CAC you still would have been able to go and get the training...

JimLewis
10-16-2008, 03:04 AM
.... Aquascape works, It works very well. I make sales because the consumer knows aquascape

Really??? I have never heard a customer in all my years that knew the brand name of any pond supply manufacturer. Well, I think some people know the name, "Little Giant". But that's about it. I bet I could poll 50 of my customers and ask them to name a pond supply manufacturer and not one of them would say, "Aquascape." Now if I asked those same 50 if they've ever heard of a company called "Aquscape" I am sure a couple would say, "I think I may have heard or seen that name before...maybe...." But it's not a name like Rain Bird or Toro or Corona.

Near as I can remember, my customers have never asked me what brand I used. They ask to see photos of my work. They ask where they can drive by and see water features I've installed. They ask a little bit about how I construct it. They ask about leaks and warranties. But I can't remember anyone ever asking what brand I used or caring.

You're statement just seems odd to me.

Mike Leary
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I can't remember anyone ever asking what brand I used or care.

Ditto . .Like they read the trades; I don't trust that bunch, anyways.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I THINK HE SOLD OUT TO THE CASH MONKEY
i have his pond setup in my back yard and i really like it.
now that i am wiser i can get what i need elsewhere cheeper.
but hey if he can make a buck good for him.

kaferhaus
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
We've installed over 200 "water features" and I've never ever had the first customer ask about the brand of any of the products we sell or install.... not once.

His products are way overpriced. That's not to say they're not a good product because the certainly are good products.

Cost is always an issue with me and most importantly with my customer. I make higher profits and my customer gets a better price and comparable quality using other products.

Only very rarely will any of us get a customer that's not concerned with price. Many of my jobs are gained as the result of having given a "quote"... I can only imagine how many of those we'd have lost if I'd had to quote an overpriced product from the get-go. I'm less expensive than my competition for one reason, experience.... we can do an install in 30-40% less time than any of our competitors just because we've done so many of them and have a box van full of parts that's at every job... no stopping to get this or that etc.