PDA

View Full Version : maintenance service

Malibu landscape
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM
For those of you that do service what does it include and how often do you perform it.
We clean all fixtures and lenses lubricate o-rings as applicable
re-aim and adjust fixtures
prune plant material around fixtures
replace bulbs at our discretion
re-adjust timers
recommend enhancements if appropriate
We offer this on a 2-4 visit per year service agreement
$160 per hour for labor ( 3 technicians) with 1 hour minimum
plus retail cost of replacement parts

S&MLL
09-29-2008, 12:02 AM
10 pecent of total job. if brass/copper about 7.5 percent. twice a year

David Gretzmier
09-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I do this service, I charge 10% of what the first year installation was. We always replace bulbs. I have not figured out how to look at a bulb that is lit and guess whether it will last a year or not.

If we did not install it, then I have to go through and chack all voltages at fixtures to make sure bulbs will last a year. I'd probably charge a set price for that, but not an hourly. Then do the rebulb/aim/trim service, and I charge the 10% of what it would have been if I had installed it.

I just can't look at someone and charge 160 bucks an hour, or 55 per hour times three guys or whatever. I'm more comfortable with set fees based on per fixture prices. I feel like service guys that have formal training, and must pass tests and work several years under guys with licenses have a much easier time with that high dollar hourly stuff- Electricians, Heating and cooling, and plumbing guys in particular.

Malibu landscape
09-29-2008, 12:25 AM
I do this service, I charge 10% of what the first year installation was. We always replace bulbs. I have not figured out how to look at a bulb that is lit and guess whether it will last a year or not.

If we did not install it, then I have to go through and chack all voltages at fixtures to make sure bulbs will last a year. I'd probably charge a set price for that, but not an hourly. Then do the rebulb/aim/trim service, and I charge the 10% of what it would have been if I had installed it.

I just can't look at someone and charge 160 bucks an hour, or 55 per hour times three guys or whatever. I'm more comfortable with set fees based on per fixture prices. I feel like service guys that have formal training, and must pass tests and work several years under guys with licenses have a much easier time with that high dollar hourly stuff- Electricians, Heating and cooling, and plumbing guys in particular.

$55 per hour service charge is on the lower side and very fair in Los Angeles. I guess things are different in Arkansas and that's considered on the high side.

JoeyD
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
good trick to maintaining and monitoring your lamp life is to date your lamps. This way as you service the fixtures you can look at dates and see if you got a lamp that is 2 years old you can just go ahead and replace it before it burns out in between service calls.......Good trick, have your guys enitial them as well then you know whos butt to kick if something was put in wrong!! LOL

S&MLL
09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Joey do you date right on the lamps? I would think the marker would fade away over time.

David Gretzmier
09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
most master electricians (4 years training and 2 tests) here are between 35 and 50 bucks per hour.

most plumbers are 45 per hour, higher on weekends and nights. most have a 60 dollar minimum.

Heating and cooling guys are at 45-55 per hour, although many have an 85 minimum.

most lawn care guys are at 35 bucks per hour per man.

But then, you can buy a 1500 sq ft. 3 bed 2 bath house here for around 100-120k. my home at 2200 sq. feet was 140k 2 years ago in a pretty good neighborhood.

So I'd guess LA is alot higher. But I have heard prices on homes there have come down a bit.

JoeyD
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Joey do you date right on the lamps? I would think the marker would fade away over time.

right on the back of the lamps...use a paint pen!!!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-29-2008, 11:24 PM
good trick to maintaining and monitoring your lamp life is to date your lamps. This way as you service the fixtures you can look at dates and see if you got a lamp that is 2 years old you can just go ahead and replace it before it burns out in between service calls.......Good trick, have your guys enitial them as well then you know whos butt to kick if something was put in wrong!! LOL

I have a better system then this (although dating your lamps is pretty novel)...

I use a 12Vac digital hour meter in my systems. When the primary/master transformer turns on, the meter starts counting, when it turns off, the meter stops but it retains memory.

You simply pop one of these in the transformer and you can check how many hours the system has burned for since it's last service.

Have a great day.

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I have a better system then this (although dating your lamps is pretty novel)...

I use a 12Vac digital hour meter in my systems. When the primary/master transformer turns on, the meter starts counting, when it turns off, the meter stops but it retains memory.

You simply pop one of these in the transformer and you can check how many hours the system has burned for since it's last service.

Have a great day.

Now thats a great idea.

bmwsmity
09-29-2008, 11:57 PM
wow james, you're on top of those hours!

i do maintenance quarterly for all clients. i like this because it ensures my systems look great all the time, because fixtures get knocked around sometimes and you never know when a client's gonna add a plant somewhere that obstructs a light or two.

i also like visiting quarterly because it keeps me in front of the client more often to identify new needs and upsell, to establish rapport, to be visible to neighbors, and to keep me in their minds for referrals. Making money on the visit is just a bonus...it's more about marketing for me.

on a recent visit, i sold a client some new LED deck lights to get rid of their old crappy wedge-bulb fixtures. that was an extra $1,200 sale.

i do pretty much the same thing for maintenance that other people mentioned. i am trying to phase everyone to photocells now, that way if someone has a trans in the garage i dont have to have them home to reset a timer - a trick i read in Nate Mullen's book (thanks again Joey). :drinkup:

i charge per fixture, and i adjust the price when the system has LED's in it to compensate.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Man you need to get away from the per fixture price. It will help you.

bmwsmity
09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
i used to do per fixture based on the type of fixture and some crazy spreadsheet crap based on how much time i would spend on each fixture etc...

then i just made it simple and picked a price per fixture that evens out over all fixture types and the approx. labor time needed. as of now, since i don't have employees, the per fixture gives me a nice hourly rate (which i track).

as long as my final hourly rate (gross profit/hours) is what i want it to be, any other reason to change from per fixture pricing TXNS???

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Well alot of times it actually will scae thecustomer when you say xxx per fixture. You will close alot more jobs if you say your Lighting system will cost xxxx.xx. This is what ive found. And you have to take in accoun for getting under driveways, or any other difficultys. Ive just found it easier to stop it.

klkanders
10-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Man you need to get away from the per fixture price. It will help you.

Ryan, Easy fella!.......He is talking price for fixture maintenance-wise......not selling the system itelf on a per fixture price. Just trying to clarify.

Take Care!

Keith

niteliters
10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
we charge hourly rate, like ryan make routine quarterly visits