PDA

View Full Version : Brown redefiner bed edger

touhey33
09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Im looking at getting a bed edger as Im tired of wasting money renting them. i do mostly redefining or re edging existing beds, but on occasion I will edge new beds. My question is has anyone used the redefiner, if so how do you like it and will it edge new beds as well as redefine? Thanks in advance.

turfcobob
09-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Word of caution here. The rotary bed shapers tend to toss a bunch of dirt into the beds. So you are into a big clean up before you are done. IF the beds are nice and you want to keep them that way and just refreash the edge you need a machine that cuts the edge and leaves the dirt to be picked up without throwing it anywhere. Look at the Turfco Edge-r-rite Turfcolcom. It cuts like a small sod cutter (has 5 blades) and you pick up the cut debris and haul it away. Leaves the beds just like you found them. One of the highest profile pieces of turf in the USA has all it's beds edged by the Turfco. They cannot spend the time and money to re-mulch beds and all they want is a new edge each spring.

touhey33
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
i've seen that unit, but I don't know how good it would do in the clay soil here in indiana, plus there are alot of rocks. I've used bed edgers that pulverize the dirt, and you just spread the dirt back into the bed.

touhey33
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Is there any video of the turfco edger?

SpruceLandscape
09-29-2008, 11:52 PM
My Little Wonder Bed Shaper has been one of the most profitable machines I ever purchased! I had rented every other kind up until I bought this one and NOTHING does as nice of a job and is easier to handle, even up here with solid clay for soil! Just make sure you get the 13 or 14hp version, and not the 10 or 11hp older versions unless you are in softer, looser soil areas.

bam
10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
The redefiner is a new design for Brown Mfg. It was built specifically for Brickman. It does extremely well at re-edging the existing bedlines. There is a low, medium and high setting for the blade. The frame is very strong, should last a long time. It has a special claw blade on it to dig into the soil. There is also two belts side by side to turn the blade. Alot of other mfgs. just have one belt which wears out quickly. Older units we would have to change belts once a week. This redefiner ran the whole season without a change.

It is a very different machine from the bulky bed edgers, as it is meant for speed and touchup of bededges.

So, if you are getting it to touch up edges it will work extremely well and it is very durable. I don't think we used it to cut new edges. It should cut thru the soil, but may take two passes. The engine is not too large, I know its not a 11 or 13 hp.

A co-worker has a Little Wonder shaper. That does a good job, but is bulky compared to the redefiner and generates alot more debris, and is more difficult to edge around corners and tree rings.

turfcobob
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes there is video on the Turfco Edge-r-Rite just go to Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201 or go to Louisville and run one in crappy Kentucky clay. When you run these machines in dry clay like sod cutters they will shake you. But if the soil is even a little damp it does a beautiful job even in clay.

DustyOH
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
If you want a hand held unit, I saw an ECHO unit at the EXPO show in Louisville. It will redefine a bed. I saw a video of it at the show and they also have it on their website www.echo-usa.com it is on their front page. It is light weight and less expensive than the wheeled units. I am going to get one when they come out with it for next season.

CGlandscaping
12-19-2008, 01:58 PM
look at Bluebirds bededge. its called the bed bug... I really like it it goes through the clay and rock here in Virginia. it has a few different height adjustments. just dont use it around irrigation and lighting. But it has saved me so much time doing edging this year

MustangMan
12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
look at Bluebirds bededge. its called the bed bug... I really like it it goes through the clay and rock here in Virginia. it has a few different height adjustments. just dont use it around irrigation and lighting. But it has saved me so much time doing edging this year

I've rented the Bluebird Bed Bug a few times and have really liked it. They have a coupld different attachements for it and it really does a good job of going through the clay and rock as mentioned. I haven't tried any other brands so I can't speak of them but I do highly recommend the Bed Bug.

DeereHauler
12-28-2008, 01:08 AM
i have the turfco, not the fastest machine, but is absolutely amazing. The blade lasts a long time, i like the other units that have a spinning disc, they are fast, but the disc wears out quick.

i will never go back to a brown bed edger...

JKOOPERS
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
the brown bed edger by far has the best looking edge the only down fall is that its a pita to move around large or hilly properties. as far as the blue bird that thing is the biggest pos i have ever used.

David Grass
01-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Altho the most expensive of the group, the turteq does what brown does, and what little wonder does with a quick change. You can actually see videos on their site, and you can do a lot more with other attachments. Mine has paid for itself in a couple of years of very partime work! www.turfteq.com

02DURAMAX
01-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Echo is coming out with a good handheld one...like a trimmer..look at teh ad on the side and a video of it in action.

nobagger
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Echo is coming out with a good handheld one...like a trimmer..look at teh ad on the side and a video of it in action.

I looked at the video and it looks like just what I need but it comes with a price tag of over 600 BUCKS! ouch.

All Season Lawn Care
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
600.00 for that is well worth it to me will be picking one up this spring that would be very nice compared to my brown.