PDA

View Full Version : need to kill blue rug juniper

blakes estates
09-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Will round up kill blue rug juniper? I have a plot that needs the ground cover removed and sod laid. Should I soil sample or just spread lime heavy?

FIREPLUG1111
09-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Round up wont kill anything. Roundup does just as the name implies. It rounds up all the weeds and concentrates them in your yard...................

Dreams To Designs
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, Roundup mixed at brush strength will kill the blue rug, but that is the least of your problems. At the current temperatures and how well established the juniper is will determine how long it takes to die. Best to go in and remove the plants. The stem and root removal is what will take time and be most important to your success.

Absolutely perform a soil test rather than guess what you think the soil needs and how much of anything to apply. You may well be suited to mix in compost to the existing soil to prepare it for sod.

Kirk

loom-gen
10-12-2008, 04:57 AM
why not pull them out? chances are there are fewer plants there than meets the eye. you will have to remove the dead stuff after killing them off any-hoo wouldn't you. wear gloves though junipers carry herpies or they have stickers I can't remember which plant does what nowadays with all the different cultivars and such.

Jason Rose
10-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Ditto, just dig them up/pull them out. One plant may be covering a 10 foot circle. There's no way you are going to just kill off a woody plant and throw sod on top of it... And it's not going to grow back even if you don't get all the roots.

loom-gen... What? Junipers have an STD??? (Herpes) where in the world did you hear that? and how did your junipers contract the disease? Yes, gloves are good advice because most junipers have thorny inner needles that are a mess.