PDA

View Full Version : Got to replace a Red Maple Help needed.....

Whitaker24
09-28-2008, 09:28 PM
When is the time to plant it? We had a storm this week and snapped it off at ground level. I think it was dead anyway. Question is I have to dig up the old roots, then plant the new one I assume. The tree was at most 3 years old and about 3 inches in diam. When should I plant the tree now or in spring?

Thanks

White Gardens
09-29-2008, 09:26 AM
My first question is how did the tree die to begin with. You might have a soil issue going on and I would hate to see you lose another tree. Also, is there any enviromental factors going on that caused the tree to die.

How big is the dead tree?? If it's still small enough I would try to remove the main root in the center as much as possible.

Fall is always considered the best for planting trees as the temps are cooler for root growth and you'll hopefully need to water less often.

Around here is just starting to get to be the perfect conditions for tree planting. I'm not sure what the conditions are like in SC right now though.

Dreams To Designs
09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
WG brings up an excellent point. Why did the tree die in the first place. Was it a Japanese red maple or the native variety? Was it planted properly and watered regularly?

Now is a great time to plant. This is a very busy and productive season for those that install plants. If you intend on planting in the same place or near, yes the root ball and as many roots as you can should be removed. Prep the planting area properly and maybe add compost or other planting amendments like Bio-Tone Starter Plus from Espoma or Roots.

Kirk

Marcos
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
When is the time to plant it? We had a storm this week and snapped it off at ground level. I think it was dead anyway. Question is I have to dig up the old roots, then plant the new one I assume. The tree was at most 3 years old and about 3 inches in diam. When should I plant the tree now or in spring?

Thanks

Some people mistakingly call the red varieties of Norway Maples.... "red maples".
(I've seen and heard this over and over again...through the years! :))

Is this the kind of tree/leaf you have?
http://www.mtzion.k12.il.us/tree/Crimson%20King%20Maple.html

Whitaker24
09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
looks like it, my wife said the leaves turn red.

Marcos
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
looks like it, my wife said the leaves turn red.

Well...if the leaves were red all summer, and just didn't "turn red" in the fall, it couldn't have been a Norway Maple like Crimson King.

If the leaves were green during the summer (but had bright red stems to the leaves ALL the time) and the leaves turned a light-shade of red in the fall, it could have been something like the 'Red Sunset' variety of the species Red Maple:

http://treegrowersdiary.com/redsunsetredmaple.html

Whitaker24
09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
leaves the only thing that changes color, green and red in fall i believe

Smallaxe
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
If the maple has survived 3 years b4 being snapped off in a storm, there are probably no soil issues of significance.

What specie of maple is good to know if you want an exact duplicate of what is lost. Most people use something like that to find something they may like even better.

In Wisco we are in prime time planting for the year. Spring is second best but still excellent in April. May plantings need so much attention in relation to watering all summer.

You guys can probably plant all winter, once the 'cool down' starts. correct?