PDA

View Full Version : cheapskates

Malibu landscape
09-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Got a call from a customer I put some lights in for along with a small landscape job spring 07. This guy has chosen to change his own bulbs so I haven't seen the system since I left it. he calls complaining that he has several broken glass lenses on MR-16 fixtures. Wants to know why that happened and why he should have to pay for me to come and fix them. I get there and I find 50 watt bulbs where I had 20 watters. He has a habit of running his sprinklers in the evening with the lights on regardless of the fact I advised against it. this business requires alot of patience some times. I'll wait to see if the check comes in the mail.
PS- I see the backyard which I gave him a proposal for at the time was done by someone else (probably his gardener) using Home depot lights. Fixture types are in most of the same locations where I proposed them to go.

David Gretzmier
09-28-2008, 11:54 PM
This is why we offer a free rebulb service warranty period for one year from installation, and give them a price to rebulb each year after that with the same warranty. If you agree to replace bulbs for free in the 1st year of ownership, when you come back you can talk with them about adding those extra lights or whatever. sometimes just being in front of the customer ( like the gardener was) can cause folks to go ahead and do work.

Malibu landscape
09-29-2008, 12:30 AM
This is why we offer a free rebulb service warranty period for one year from installation, and give them a price to rebulb each year after that with the same warranty. If you agree to replace bulbs for free in the 1st year of ownership, when you come back you can talk with them about adding those extra lights or whatever. sometimes just being in front of the customer ( like the gardener was) can cause folks to go ahead and do work.

You obviously build your "free" rebulb service into your initial installation cost. Doubtful this customer even had the gardener do it. In fact I'm sure he did the back himself. I'm in business to make a living and grow my business not to give away "free" rebulb services serupticiously built into the cost of the initial system under the guise to come out and sell more lighting.

irrig8r
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
You obviously build your "free" rebulb service into your initial installation cost. Doubtful this customer even had the gardener do it. In fact I'm sure he did the back himself. I'm in business to make a living and grow my business not to give away "free" rebulb services serupticiously built into the cost of the initial system under the guise to come out and sell more lighting.

You are really missing David's point.

Lite4
09-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Completely missed it! Wow!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Yep, not only did you miss David's point... but you also sound a lot like someone we all know and 'love'.

Perhaps it is just the fact you work the Left Coast and in particular LA/Malibu area? Not sure, but sure sound similar to a former contributor to this forum who comes from the same area. Amazing how geographic/social similarities can be recognized isn't it?

In any case, I offer my clients a no questions asked, 2 year comprehensive warranty that includes lamps. I have even been known to offer free service on minor issues for years following the installation. It is a VERY cost effective way of building a great reputation with your clients... one that they are sure to comment on to their peers, colleagues, friends and family.

Think of it as a method of sure fire "network marketing". In fact, a good accountant can even show you how you can "write off" your time and materials spent in servicing your clients as a marketing/promotional expense.

Have a great day.

Malibu landscape
09-29-2008, 08:13 AM
I see . So you advise working for free even when unwarranted on the hope that your customer will appreciate that and recommend you to others who also appreciate and expect things for free. Doesn't sound like a sound way to do business.

irrig8r
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
You obviously build your "free" rebulb service into your initial installation cost...... I'm in business to make a living and grow my business not to give away "free" rebulb services serupticiously [sic] built into the cost of the initial system under the guise to come out and sell more lighting.

I see . So you advise working for free even when unwarranted on the hope that your customer will appreciate that and recommend you to others who also appreciate and expect things for free. Doesn't sound like a sound way to do business.

See, here's what I mean about missing the point. :rolleyes:

Don't advertise it as a "free" service... Just tell your prospective customers it's included in the initial price.

Tell them you like to create long term relationships with your clients and make sure they're happy because you know that word of mouth refferrals are your best source of new work.

JoeyD
09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I would at minimum offer them a lamp package to purchase that would include replacement lamps for all the different fixtures you used. Tell them at minimum buy lamps from you. And explain the importance of not installing lamps with higher or lesser wattages! This will keep them from going to home depot....HOPEFULLY!

David Gretzmier
09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Let's see if I can be clear. I give a one year labor and parts warranty on my bulbs, transformer and fixtures that I install. If there is a problem, I come out and fix it for free. If I installed it properly, there should be very few issues. I don't add any money to jobs for warranty work because I rarely have any. I think I did a total of 3 warranty calls this year on the 50 or so active systems I am on a rebulb rotation on.

If I come and discover vandalism, or lightning issues, irrigation issues or a customer has installed higher wattage bulbs that damaged something, that is not warranty work and I won't do repairs without a signed work order for the cost. A bill unpaid does not a court case make.

Malibu landscape
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
OK understood. No harm No foul. What is this guy from Canada talking about? I joined this forum to relax and exchange ideas. Not for a fight.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-29-2008, 11:15 PM
No fight from me... I just thought it was funny how much you sound like someone else from your area. Don't take it too seriously, we Canadians have a dry sense of humour.

bmwsmity
09-30-2008, 12:06 AM
i provide a LIFETIME warranty on installation...that means all connections basically.... the rest is under manufacturer's warranty and a one year bulb warranty...

as david said, if you are doing quality work, you shouldn't have any worries about warranty work - even lifetime on connections.

also keep in mind the avg. homeowner moves approx. every 12 years, so thats somewhat of a stop-loss on lifetime warranty. with higher end clients in the corp world, hell, those guys move every few years sometimes.

think of the market share KIA and Hyundai gained with their 100,000 mile warranty... if you're up against competition, sometimes a long warranty will seal the deal.

i keep a strict "no hassles" policy, and my customers love me for it and gladly hand me checks when there is a charge. :drinkup:

Malibu landscape
09-30-2008, 01:48 AM
No fight from me... I just thought it was funny how much you sound like someone else from your area. Don't take it too seriously, we Canadians have a dry sense of humour.

who might that be, maybe I know her (plenty of female designers here)?
No offense taken

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Him, The famous initials P S..