PDA

View Full Version : new grass.

ERIC ROBERGE
02-06-2002, 05:04 AM
I am having my drainfield replaced so I have a lot of fresh dirt to plant grass in.
I want to go back with burmuda. Of course, this time of year here in Atlanta, GA bermuda does not grow so well let alone germinate. My question is what would be a good grass to put down for now that I would not have a problem getting rid of this summer? Ryegrass? What kind of burmuda would be better? I know there are many different kinds of burmuda. I would like a variety that is more drought tolerant. We have water restrictions and watering a one acre lot is expensive and time consuming.
Burmuda normally greens up in March/April around here and the soil is good ol Georgia red clay.

Thanks for the help.

awm
03-02-2002, 11:35 PM
annual rye for holding the soil. but u will probably need to let
it run its course.im not sure about bermuda ,but if u wanted fescue u could mix with the rye and with a little luck and possibly watering it would probably make it .then overseed in the fall.

1stclasslawns
03-03-2002, 11:25 AM
AWM, is right on the annual rye, but I'd go ahead and get some HULLED bramuda seed (what ever does best in your local)and seed with both of them. The rye will die out when it gets hot and the bramuda will take over. You might want to sprig bramuda also.

If money isn't a problem then just sod it and it'll take hold.

Jim

ERIC ROBERGE
03-04-2002, 03:27 AM
Do i put down the bermuda seed now? I dont want it to wash away if we get a hard rain. The crows seem to like the ryegrass seed I put down. Will they go after the bermuda seed also?
I am told bermuda wont germinate untill may around here. I dont mind waiting a little while untill then. Right now I am more interested in keeping my yard in my yard.
When I do get the bermuda seed what variety is more drought tolerant. We have a lot of water restrictions here outside of Atlanta,Ga and they are not going to go away.
The ryegrass started to come up yeaterday after it rained the day before. WOW it sure grows fast when it decides to germinate.

Ssouth
03-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Eric, I'm in N. Alabama and have the same climate as you. If you want to seed the lawn, you'll have to wait until mid May or early June for good results. Around here the only Bermuda seed you can buy is common Bermuda and it will do very well in your area. If you would like to sod, you'll need to contact local sod farms (normally in yellow pages) and see what is available. The sod farms will be able tell which specimens they have and which will work best for you. Also, you can lay your sod right now. In the past two weeks I've done two sodding jobs. The sod will look dead, but it's not, it's dormant or semi-dormant. ( didn't get quite cold enough this year )

olddog
03-08-2002, 09:38 PM
I also have a drainfield to seed. It is in KY. I let it grow up last year some grass has moved in on one corner, Polk berrries in places, crab grass in others, and some locust tress which I will mostly let grow. I am thinking Kentucky 31 for this backyard down the hill kind of place. But I have been noticing on the construction area on I-64 that the highway guys just spray the banks with grass and straw winter, spring, fall, whatever and the stuff grows! Anyone know what they use? I want something that starts with vigor with little effort and is very low maintance, and it should hold its own with the crabgrass. Is this possible? I don't want too fine a texture. I will mow at least 3" maybe 4 if needed. Anyone use an agricultural grass for such an area? Thaks in advance for any help.

ERIC ROBERGE
03-09-2002, 01:42 AM
Hey Olddog. Welcome to the ankle grabbers club. What kind of drainfield did you have installed. The one they put in here is called an Infiltrator system. It looks like its better than the perforated pipe and gravel system, but only time will tell.
I put rye grass down 2 weeks ago and it has been coming up in spots for about a week now despite 20 degree lows most of last week. When it warms up around here I plan to put down some bermuda seed before the rye dies out.
The seed you see being sprayed by road crews is a hydroseed application. Because of its good soil contact and I think a little fertilizer added in that grass grows pretty quick. There are probably landscapers in your area that do that kind of work. If you want to do your own seeding I am sure the professionals on this board can give you some sound advice on what to plant.

Good luck.

olddog
03-09-2002, 08:10 AM
I don't know what the actual name is, everyone just calls them chambers. Black plastic units that are buried directly in the soil, 6" of which had to be hauled in:mad:

ERIC ROBERGE
03-10-2002, 02:36 AM
Punch in Infiltrator into a search engine and it should get you to a website with some good info.

65hoss
03-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Bermuda is cheap. To cheap not to use sod. Builders are putting the stuff down now. It will green up and grow as the weather gets hotter.

George777
03-23-2002, 10:30 PM
From seed you will only get common Bermuda. You could use Ga certified turf grass ( true to variety and type) will cost ya.

419 is the most used but will revert back unless ya get certified turf.
Tifton, Ga is the bermuda capital not to far from atlanta.

you can also get certified seed that is true to type genetically take the purity % and the germination % and multiply to find the % of pure live seed. (95% purity, 80% germination rate .95X.80=76% pure seed)

Don't waist your money trying to seed with bermuda now. wait until late apr or may. Warm season turf does best when 80 to 95 degrees. Dormancy when soil temp is 50 to 55.

Tifton bermuda is about $65-75. per pallet here in Bama.

ERIC ROBERGE
03-24-2002, 01:57 AM
I didnt plan to seed burmuda at that time. I am sure I would have a yard of weeds by the time the burmuda came up. I seeded with annual rye about 5 weeks ago. I just mowed it for the first time today. It was about 6" tall in most places.
I have been told April or May by local landscape retailers also, so I guess I will wait till then to put down some burmuda seed. What about Sahara or Yuma type burmuda seed. Is that a kind of common burmuda or is it a turf type. I am not looking to have a golf course quality lawn, but since I am going to have to put something down I might as well put down something that will better suit the drought conditions that is common here in the southeast.
When will the rye start to die off? Thanks for the help.