PDA

View Full Version : NOFA Organic Turf Management Workshop

ICT Bill
09-29-2008, 10:57 AM
If you haven't heard Chip speak you should not miss it, Todd has great field experience and will talk for hours on it

NOFA Organic Turf Management Workshop
November 20, 2008
7:45am - 4:30pm
CT Agricultural Experiment Station
Jones Auditorium
123 Huntington St.
New Haven, CT
Join NOFA and speaker Chip Osborne for a workshop on
Organic Turf Management specifically tailored for School Grounds Keepers and Municipal Employees.

Come learn how to:
• Successfully transition to Organic Management
• Budget and manage for a natural program
• Create healthy, durable turf
• Comply with Connecticut's new legislation extending to athletic fields July 2009
Featuring " Experience from Within" Case studies presented by Bill Duesing, Todd Harrington and Jerry Silbert who will talk about their experiences successfully transitioning towns' and schools' athletic fields to organic.

To register visit: www.organiclandcare.net or call 203-888-5146

treegal1
09-30-2008, 08:22 AM
are these the same guys that want to sell a franchise, and more product. lets see 10 tons of compost @ 20 $=200$ plus water say 300 gallons= 75$, add the 2 together and then you have 1 tote of extract for 2000$ or more +SHIPPING.

seems last time I was around some of these folk it was a lot of "our proprietary" stuff floating around, or a dvd with some sales guy, and his left hand out just so that you know he is not shaking hands. let me have a house sized fee to get you started on buying premade stuff

just tell me one of these programs that has the recycling program built in

treegal1
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
oct 24,
Open questions and sod farm tour(organic) till 5:00 then its a power point on bio fuels.
oct 25,coffee,then we build your own compost tea brewer, you can just watch or really build your own, bring your tank or use mine after 11:00 we are going to do the fast worm how to and demo, with the flat pack worm bed on display, and see how to harvest and store casts. then we eat a great lunch, meat or fish from Ians tropical grill. then we move on to compost, in the field with at least 6 ways to do it( with little or no machine, if you want). we will try and cover most of the basics to get a great compost pile going and managed correctly. bio diesel plant demo, and a bio char retort demo(with real fire and smoke), plus some of the coolest pics I have gathered from all over, dinner and camp fire or you can just go back to your hotel and sleep(I don't do that much)
oct 26, 8:00 blessing and coffee, then we jump into local materials use and how to use different raw materials, make your own fish oil and other special brews from what you have in your area, bone char, wood ash,water plants and sea weed,and and and... then some lunch and its on to weeds, the very weakest point in most care plans. after that we load up every one brewers and compost, tour a tree farm(organic) and say fare well to every one that came or go deep sea fishing on the lady Stuart.

I know where I will be at.........

ICT Bill
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
No not safelawns, it is NOFA. Todd has been a member for forever.

Trusted advisors for sure, not a franchise pitch. These guys are the real deal

treegal1
09-30-2008, 09:21 AM
3:35-4:15 Implementation of a natural program : Strategies, Budget, Management.

that sounds like a sale pitch to me.......

http://www.osborneorganics.com/

http://www.sustainablegrowth.com/franchise_opportunities.html

here now safe lawns is competition for the rest of us

http://www.safelawns.net/

treegal1
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
1 compost extractor=9K$

treegal1
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
No not safelawns, it is NOFA. Todd has been a member for forever.

Trusted advisors for sure, not a franchise pitch. These guys are the real dealthe only advice I ever got was to get a franchise and stop asking about how its made.......

ICT Bill
09-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Lets not confuse NOFA with those organizations the NOFA site is
www.organiclandcare.net

treegal1
09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
eh what do i care let them have the MA and CT area.....................

wallzwallz
09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Treegal, I can't say NOFA ever pushed any franchises on anyone. Todd is just one of many speakers. Almost all the teacher/speakers own their own business or are scientist/doctor field related. Chip and Bill are great guys. Chip is involved w/ The living lawn project in Marblehead,MA. They have towns sending their employees, who work and supervise town grounds, to learn the Organic way.NOFA has been a great experience for me.

treegal1
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
well maybe I just feel like I was dumped on a little, I have reached out on several occasions and it all ways seems that some how there is no help if your not part of the club, that's all, just some how got the impression that the good old boys where put off and really un interested in what I needed help with, or wanted to share any input of information that would make an impact on sustainability.

granted that was just some of the speakers in person, not at a nofa class setting, just 2 folks walking and talking most of the time, but what is going to change if they are all together in a class room?? more than likely the same thing, and most of the time I got some really messed up answer about a patent, I will say more, a long time ago I got feed up with 1000$ barrels of fish oil( got to give credit to sustainable for 250$ barrels) and set about finding out how to make my own, as I had seen some text about some unsent cultures making and using fish oil for all sorts of stuff, so I figured I would ask around and see hat I could come up with, that was like I was trying to rob some one of there original idea, like they invented it or something, so I ask about it some more and I guess started to get some folks POed at me and some maybe thought I was the president of the more money than brains club, any ways it just seemed that i opened myself up to the barrage of sale pitches and sucker deals, not that I bit on any, well except that I wasted my time and gas going to talk with some of these folks that are into "helping another" I even was solicited for a 6 app program for FL. one that was more expensive than the chem prices, alot more expensive, then the cost to ship it to S FL, wow, that was the end for me, one guy even had this fish oil molasses and other great things for your lawn"stuff" that he wanted to sell me for 16 a quart, another wanted to sell me a partnership where he tells me what to do and I pay for the costs and he keeps a larger chunk than I do, again for a 7 month program. one real POS wanted to sell me my county so that I could work and do business where I grew up and have lived all my life, he left with my side arm in his face, try and rob me like that, what do you think this is graigs list, so yeah no real issue with NOFA as a whole, maybe its just me and I am still a little bitter as to what I got dealt, maybe they just did not take me serious. I would still like to reach out to them and share ideas but I don't see that happening any time real soon. oh the fish oil, almost forgot I learned how to make it from a old family recipe for patis, a fish sauce that has been made in the far east for a really long time, maybe the folks that wanted to jack me up for 10-40 K$ should pay the patent fees that they ask me for to the people that really came up with the idea.

DeepGreenLawn
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
one real POS wanted to sell me my county so that I could work and do business where I grew up and have lived all my life,

This has always bewildered me...

Prolawnservice
09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
people are people, I can say Bill D is a great guy, I doubt it was him you had a problem with. I agree with you about some of the others, they give you more theory than real world how to. They will dodge questions or change the subject. Not all of them act this way but I agree there are some. I understand your frustration, I've felt it as well. Thank you for sharing everything you have. I'm very excited about the class, any chance the weed control concoction will be discussed?

treegal1
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
you better belive it, thats my whole piont to this rant, if its so great then why not share it, thats what I plan on doing. same with the patis, it was given to me( yes I had to pay some ones travel and time) but he did not want cents on the dollar for me to use it. I wont say who or how I was made to feel what about who, just that the parts of the sum, did me wrong, not all parts, just some......

I am even trying to get extra compost on hand so folks can have some and get a feel for it................

Prolawnservice
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
you better belive it, thats my whole piont to this rant, if its so great then why not share it, thats what I plan on doing. same with the patis, it was given to me( yes I had to pay some ones travel and time) but he did not want cents on the dollar for me to use it. I wont say who or how I was made to feel what about who, just that the parts of the sum, did me wrong, not all parts, just some......

I am even trying to get extra compost on hand so folks can have some and get a feel for it................

When does the sharing start??????????

treegal1
11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
as soon as I find my other hard drive

Compostwerks LLC
11-06-2008, 07:08 PM
TG, they dont 'have' anything to promote except sound agricultural/horticultural practices. Period.

I am speaking at this (http://www.organiclandcare.net/Update08.php)NOFA event in December, and they have asked me NOT to promote my (or anyone's) products or services during my presentation. They are neutral.

It is true that many of the speakers have their own businesses. This is a solid bunch of highly experienced individuals.

No need to take pot shots, OK?:gunsfirin

roccon31
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
is there a nofa equivalent for PA that anyone knows of? im new....

NattyLawn
11-06-2008, 10:05 PM
is there a nofa equivalent for PA that anyone knows of? im new....

Nope. I think you may be able to get credits if you want to take their courses. Call your Ag extension.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
11-07-2008, 06:01 AM

kicking a@s and taking names......love it!

i'm not saying anything negative about the organization as a whole but i can relate to your story about people more interested about their bottom line then the real TRUTH about organic practices and sharing "some" knowledge for the benefit of all........earth

roccon31
11-07-2008, 10:02 AM
thanks, the winter course sounds like one i need to attend.

ICT Bill
11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
thanks, the winter course sounds like one i need to attend.

If you attend the 5 day course and pass the exam you can become an Accredited Organic Land Care Professional and be listed on their site

In the meantime you should download their free standards for organic land care booklet, it is an excellent reference book and a great way to get started

Kiril
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
How about promoting this?

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101622&d=1204311152

You want to be sustainable ... get rid of your lawn.

treegal1
11-07-2008, 02:07 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101622&d=1204311152

You want to be sustainable ... get rid of your lawn.fine I will then hope you dont mind, if so I will change it back.

ICT Bill
11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Kiril,
You would actually get a kick out of the 5 day course, it is on land care not lawn care, everything from proper watering and irrigation (right up your alley) to soil testing, etc.

I have heard it is a bit dry but it covers a lot of territory

Prolawnservice
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM

You want to be sustainable ... get rid of your lawn.

Hey, Its better than blacktop or concrete:nono:, thats what most people ask me if they can do after they move here from the city:hammerhead:.

Kiril
11-07-2008, 09:55 PM
fine I will then hope you dont mind, if so I will change it back.

lol .... right on!