PDA

View Full Version : The use of Accountants?

morning dew
02-06-2002, 11:23 AM
Does anyone out there implement the use of an accountant other than just at tax time?

I sometimes feel that I would like to have an accountant help with my company all year long. From issues like planning, financials, investments, tax tips, etc..

Is it that hard to find an accountant who can do all this for a company?

Maybe what I am looking for is a consultant.

:confused:

Jesse
Michigan

crew
02-06-2002, 12:06 PM
I use an accountant, but am unhappy with him. We trade service and I am realizing that what I really want is someone who will give advice or at least opininons on what to do in certain situations. i'm not sure where you find someone who falls between number cruncher and tax cheat, but I think thats what I want.

PAPS
02-06-2002, 05:46 PM
i use an accountant and all he does is our tax stuff and send us a bill. He offers no advice etc. on business planning, but does a good job on keep the IRS off our backs.
A financial advisor is a good thing to get if you can afford it. You can hire an advisor on a day-rate basis. What you do is bring them in for a day and they tear apart your business telling you whats making you money and whats not making you money, what accounts are productive, etc. The cost for a day is about $1200.00, but most feel its well worth it.

Evan528
02-06-2002, 06:18 PM
I use an accountant all year long! I get tons of things from the IRS all year long and have no idea what to do with it so it all gets mailed straight to the accountant. The accountant I am currently using it not cheap but I now have peice of mind knowing everything is being taken care of properly.

LawnLad
02-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Keep in mind what an accountant is supposed to do and what fundamentally their job function is for you.

They are to manage your historical information. This means they are not forward thinking - they think about the past.

If you want advice, you might consider consulting any number of people, including your accountant. Keep in mind that some people that call themselves financial planners are really in the game to sell life insurance. A CFP (Certified Financial Planner)designation will set them apart from insurance people sometimes, but be leary.

Look to a local chamber of commerce for assistance. They might point you in the direction of a mentor that can help. I know PLCAA has a mentor program, or at least used to.

Try also SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives) - they will have local people you can talk with about planning.

Talk to anyone and everyone that you think might have some information that will be useful. But take it with a grain of salt, because no one knows your business as well as you and ultimately you have to make the decision for yourself. No one can give you the answers to your questions - including your accountant. Nor do I think you want him making the decisions for the direction of your company based on his perspective.

Fantasy Lawns
02-06-2002, 11:48 PM
We use a CPA year round .... aside from tax's ... she does all payroll .... invoicing ..... bill payments ... banking .... budget ... saving plan ..... for me the cost if part of business

I just pick up a back up copy for QB 1st n end of week to look thing over at night ..... for me it's well worth the amount of time she allows me to focus on the business ..... and have a life

Jesse .....real nice site ...super killer work & equip shots ;->