PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or Gas

Green Team Landscaping
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey guys.I need some input on which type of truck to get in my situation. When I get a truck, I would only be driving it to and from schoolwhich is about 30 minutes away(1/3 highway), and other than that just around town to friends houses and for work. Which would make more sense? i knowdiesels get better gas mileage, but the fuel prices for them are much higher. Also, if I got a diesel with the extra power it would be nice to win a pulloff against my friends 3/4 ton. Oh i almost forgot, I would be towing around 2 52" mowers, and your typical landscaping equipment on hopefully a 16' trailer, and other than that I would be pulling trailer full of mulch. I would be open to a 1500 v8, but I would relly like to have that 2500 power.

POPO4995
09-29-2008, 07:50 PM
All you need is a gasser. Thats more than enough for your use.

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeh diesel would be over kill. But im not one to talk cuz i really dont need a diesel. I just love em. Theyre fun to make fast!

Green Team Landscaping
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
All you need is a gasser. Thats more than enough for your use.
K. Sounds good. What would make me need a diesel?

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Needing to tow heavy stuff.

Green Team Landscaping
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeh diesel would be over kill. But im not one to talk cuz i really dont need a diesel. I just love em. Theyre fun to make fast!
Hahahahaha. Stupid question, but what do those diesel performance places actually do to your truck to make them faster and more powerful? I never really understood.

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM
More fuel and more air! The cummins is a great platform for more power. New turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and trans and your gold. It doesnt take much. Powerstroke and duramaxs have come along way to.

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I could go on for hours....

TPLawnPro
09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
If you have a genuine interest and a real appreciation for Diesel engines, and have the funds to purchase a diesel-powered truck, then go for it!

If you've got some decent funds rolling in from your business, and have the duckie$ to fuel that monster, then I say, "Go For It!" But, make sure you run that engine. Diesel engines don't like to be show-boated. Another words, you've got to put a load on that beast every so often.

Otherwise, stick with good ole GASSER. :eek:

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 11:01 PM
If you have a genuine interest and a real appreciation for Diesel engines, and have the funds to purchase a diesel-powered truck, then go for it!

If you've got some decent funds rolling in from your business, and have the duckie$ to fuel that monster, then I say, "Go For It!" But, make sure you run that engine. Diesel engines don't like to be show-boated. Another words, you've got to put a load on that beast every so often.

TP we need pics of that truck buddy! Where you been hiding it?!

TPLawnPro
09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
I've had it since December of 2007. I got it after my 2005 F-250 Lariat FX4 was stolen from my driveway in November of 2007. I miss my '05, but this 2008 F-250 has really been a great truck too!

I don't have too many pics of it, except the ones from when it was new at the dealership.

I can't wait until the powertrain warranty expires so that I can get the DPF delete setup.

I will work on getting some photos.

02DURAMAX
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
get gas for your use...also how do you drive if your fifteen?

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I've had it since December of 2007. I got it after my 2005 F-250 Lariat FX4 was stolen from my driveway in November of 2007. I miss my '05, but this 2008 F-250 has really been a great truck too!

I don't have too many pics of it, except the ones from when it was new at the dealership.

I can't wait until the powertrain warranty expires so that I can get the DPF delete setup.

I will work on getting some photos.

Yeh that DPF is crap. Thats the main thing that is holding me off from buying one. Well i cant wait to see pics.

brandon9996
09-30-2008, 12:22 PM
or you could do like me and just get rid of it haha but if your worried about the warranty then i would leave it..i just couldnt wait that long because ive gotta have the power..theres too many idiots in my town that think they got fast trucks and always reving them up and giving em hell..i like to get mine out every once in a while and get a little hard haha

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Alright. I'm sure I could find some good loads for it to tow.I dont think $ would be that much of an issue. I'm hoping to get a few more nice and expensive lawns this summer. Since I dont really have garage space for it(mowers and cars get in the way) would starting it in the winter be a problem because I know you have to plug it in when it gets below frezing or something around there.

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
get gas for your use...also how do you drive if your fifteen?
I cant drive at 15, but if you guys can answer my questions about trucks now, then it saves me $ and points me in the right direction. This is just for future reference.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Most of the new diesels dont need to be plugged in. But i just saw your in NH. So yeh yours will probably need plugged.

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, even with global warming we still get a good aamount of snow...and snow days!

WH401
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Alright. I'm sure I could find some good loads for it to tow.I dont think $ would be that much of an issue. I'm hoping to get a few more nice and expensive lawns this summer. Since I dont really have garage space for it(mowers and cars get in the way) would starting it in the winter be a problem because I know you have to plug it in when it gets below frezing or something around there.

The newer Cummins engines are guaranteed to start down to -20 without being plugged in. I'm not saying that as a bash to the other manufacturers, I just know that off the top of my head.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
True. Cuz its a simple engine. Actually the new dmax and powerstroke are -10 i believe.

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Huh, thats pretty cool. Idk if I could afford brand new though. I was looking at the '99 and up powerstrokes just for the purpose of price because they seemed to be the most common and the cheapest. I would also consider the walker texas ranger style dodges, though only if they were affordble because I know Cummins' are a little pricey.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Older cummins are cheap. Hell you can get 03's for the 15 range. But you can get a nice crew cab in the ford. Just start lookin and go drive some. Theyre all fun!

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Older cummins are cheap. Hell you can get 03's for the 15 range. But you can get a nice crew cab in the ford. Just start lookin and go drive some. Theyre all fun!
Hahahaha. I'm more in the 5k range as it is, but we'll see where next year takes me. Its just hard to make a good amount of money for a truck when you cant drive. It just limits the work load and the size of work you can do like building retaining walls and stuff. And you always have to ask that question "Mom/Dad when can you bring me to the so and so's house so I can work for them" so thats 2 schedules you have to go through not just one.

Green Team Landscaping
09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Btw I wasreading you other threads and did your super duty get stolen or is it still for sale? and also someone finally realized that theres a such thing as a bad truck and a good truck. it goes the same way with everything. you said you got a bad duramax, when other people would be like "duramax sucks, they all do just because mine keeps breaking" idk if that makes sense but when i read that thread i was like oh my god this guys the 1st one to think like me

hosejockey2002
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Hahahaha. I'm more in the 5k range as it is,

Ahhh, so the truth comes out. Nothing wrong with looking for a 5K used work truck. The thing to keep in mind is, you're buying a truck for work, so function is more important than form. The bling on a truck doesn't make you money, but a reliable, economical drivetrain does. For $5K, I wouldn't sweat the gas or diesel thing too much. If you get a diesel for 5K you're probably looking at a pre-Powerstroke Ford or possibly an early Dodge with a Cummins. Neither one of these are barn-burners power wise, but are solid engines if well cared for. The older Cummins especially are terrific engines, still running strong while the rest of the truck crumbles around them. The older Cummins are also very economical.

For $5K you can get a decent clean gas powered truck. If I had to make any recommendation I would say lean towards a 250/2500 series truck, whichever brand you get. They really don't have much more power per se, but these heavier duty pickups are much better suited to hauling and towing a load day in and day out reliably.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Btw I wasreading you other threads and did your super duty get stolen or is it still for sale? and also someone finally realized that theres a such thing as a bad truck and a good truck. it goes the same way with everything. you said you got a bad duramax, when other people would be like "duramax sucks, they all do just because mine keeps breaking" idk if that makes sense but when i read that thread i was like oh my god this guys the 1st one to think like me

Never had a superduty stolen and dont have one for sale! (If this is for me) Man at first i was like that (duramax sucks) But then i calmed down and said thats dumb. These things are machines. Not every machine is going to be perfect. I learned that a while back actually. But i forgot that with this one. I think cuz it was goin in the shop every other week. But o well. Im over it. Im hopin to get out of it soon cuz im 200 miles away from no warranty!

Green Team Landscaping
10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Never had a superduty stolen and dont have one for sale! (If this is for me) Man at first i was like that (duramax sucks) But then i calmed down and said thats dumb. These things are machines. Not every machine is going to be perfect. I learned that a while back actually. But i forgot that with this one. I think cuz it was goin in the shop every other week. But o well. Im over it. Im hopin to get out of it soon cuz im 200 miles away from no warranty!
Oh maybe that was someone else. I thought you had an '03 for sale, but I guess I was wrong.

Green Team Landscaping
10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Ahhh, so the truth comes out. Nothing wrong with looking for a 5K used work truck. The thing to keep in mind is, you're buying a truck for work, so function is more important than form. The bling on a truck doesn't make you money, but a reliable, economical drivetrain does. For $5K, I wouldn't sweat the gas or diesel thing too much. If you get a diesel for 5K you're probably looking at a pre-Powerstroke Ford or possibly an early Dodge with a Cummins. Neither one of these are barn-burners power wise, but are solid engines if well cared for. The older Cummins especially are terrific engines, still running strong while the rest of the truck crumbles around them. The older Cummins are also very economical.

For $5K you can get a decent clean gas powered truck. If I had to make any recommendation I would say lean towards a 250/2500 series truck, whichever brand you get. They really don't have much more power per se, but these heavier duty pickups are much better suited to hauling and towing a load day in and day out reliably.
Alright. That helped a ton. Thank you!

oakhillslandscaping
10-01-2008, 08:15 AM
you should go with a diesel, that way your torque would be good for towing up those new hampshire hills and you could get a plow and do driveways of your summer clients diesels are much better for plowing

POPO4995
10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
For $5K, find whatever is decent. You gotta remember, insurance is gonna be through the roof so be ready for it.:rolleyes:

Green Team Landscaping
10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, and oakhills, you're the guy that joined Morins. I remember that. Hows that going for you, and are you picking up on spanish?

TXNSLighting
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh maybe that was someone else. I thought you had an '03 for sale, but I guess I was wrong.

O!! Yeh that was my uncles! I forgot about that.

mikes landscaping
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
i would go for a diesel if you can find a decent one in your price range. I'm 18 and the first truck i bought was a diesel a little over a year ago and i love it.

Green Team Landscaping
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
i would go for a diesel if you can find a decent one in your price range. I'm 18 and the first truck i bought was a diesel a little over a year ago and i love it.
It seems like you were in the same sitution as me though you could drive before you got yours. It seems like the diesel vote has it.

oakhillslandscaping
10-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, and oakhills, you're the guy that joined Morins. I remember that. Hows that going for you, and are you picking up on spanish?

i recently left morins to do a few large jobs that surpassed my years pay at morins however i may go back in the winter to plow depending on things my spanish did get quite well hahaha as a matter of fact good luck with your truck choosing sometimes best ford in nashua has deals on used diesels

Green Team Landscaping
10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
i recently left morins to do a few large jobs that surpassed my years pay at morins however i may go back in the winter to plow depending on things my spanish did get quite well hahaha as a matter of fact good luck with your truck choosing sometimes best ford in nashua has deals on used diesels
Thank you, and I'll keep that in mind. One of my lawn mowing clients collects cars, and he looks at craigslist every day, and I caught up with him today while I was mowing and he said he'd keep an eye out for me. Oh by the way, did it get annoying mowing around all of the obstacles businesses had? I have always wondered that because I believe Morins uses 48"-52" and it just seems like a total pain to try and maneuver a z turn around all of their, well, crap that makes it look nice. And good luck with these new projects/

South Florida Lawns
10-04-2008, 02:13 PM
get a Ranger or an S10 thats really all you need! A 1/2 ton would be overkill for you, going to school or the mall.

Green Team Landscaping
10-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I would but the thing is, I may not use it, but I have to get something with a good amount of power behind it, just so I will be able to out pull my friend. And I dont want to get crap from my friends because im pretty sure they'd say "ooohhh look Sully's got a girl's truck"

TXNSLighting
10-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Man your friends sound like my friends use to! Ha!

oakhillslandscaping
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
i mow around obstacles everyday so it was nothing im not used to, about 15 mowers are 52"wb we had 1 48"wb 1 36"wb and two 61"sit downs they were all beat mowers even the new ones mowing with mulch kits one day and then a bagger the next made it more annoying that and when people steal you stuff in the morning

Green Team Landscaping
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
How often is Morins stolen from? I never really considered it, but I suppose in innercity Nashua it may be a problem. What kind of stuff do they steal?

oakhillslandscaping
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
no other way around the employees steal from other employees i would come in at 630 get my truck and trailer go to my trailer and i would be missing trimmers and blowers rakes shovels pruners foolish things cause other guys would break theres and not tell anyone and just steal it off another truck used to drive me nuts, plus those trucks sucked they couldnt tow worth of crap up those nh hills i did a few jobs in amherst and my truck barely towed a machine up the hills thats why i suggested you get a diesel for instance i towed a mini ex from nashua to boston with my f350 srw with no problems those morins trucks prolly would have struggle cause of the being gas