PDA

View Full Version : fall clean-up pricing question

shade tree landscaping
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
yes it is another fall clean-up thread SIGH!

Just wondering how you guys charge your grass customers for leaf clean ups. I am talking about either a weekly or bi-weekly service on the clean ups. Is double the weekly charge for weekly leaf clean up to much or to little, $50 per week to mow, $100 per week for leaf cleanup. For clean-ups on homes that I do not mow on a regualr basis, they are charged the regular labor rate. I am just curious how everyone else cahrge the customers who put money in your poket all year long.

shade tree landscaping
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
so you dont charge extra for the weekly mowing once the leaves start falling?

milkie62
10-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Depending on amt of leaves I may double the weekly price.

DaughtryLC
10-01-2008, 01:53 AM
I charge by the hr.
Which is what I do on "special" stuff!

Marek
10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
We do leaves by the hour. There are to many variables. Wet dry windy , one week only a few the next a foot deep.That way there is no chance of not making money.

landmk
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
How I charge is $50.00 per man per hour for fall clean up's minimum 2 man crew And I have had no problem with this method, Picking up leaves is not like mowing the grass, It is very time consuming if done right. When I get a new call for a fall clean up and meet the new customer I tell them when we are done your yard will look like the middle of June, green and not a leave on it. That's usually all it takes and they are on board for a clean up. It's a funny thing when I say that to them they get this idea that there is no way this guy is going to get this yard kleen with all these leaves so its like they want to see if you fail. And in fact I one time did this clean up and when I was all done the customer and his wife came out walked around the yard and said this is amazing this place is clean as a whistle if I didn't see before I wouldn't have believe it. So charge accordingly, gas is not cheap and either is your time!!!

shade tree landscaping
10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
so you guys who charge by the hour, tell the customer $50 an hour or whatever it may be? I dont feel comfortable giving out my labor rate, as I am sure that some will balk at the price of it, but also dont wanna charge to low and be out money doing clean ups

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
We do leaves by the hour. There are to many variables. Wet dry windy , one week only a few the next a foot deep.That way there is no chance of not making money.

I agree charge by the hour or give them a rough estimate as to how long it may take. If you have done cleanups before at the property use that price as a estimate.

JJS
10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
If you don't want to give them your rate, try and estimate how long it will take and give them a number of your rate x time..always figure on taking longer of course, that way you will always make a decent profit. If they balk at your price, their the type of people that will probably get the kid down the road with a rake, 4x8 tarp and an electric leaf blower to do it anyway.

Ooomwizard
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I only do yearly contracts. I work a little harder some days but the year-round income is assuring. I usually try to sell a "full service" which covers everything including fert & squirt.

GL!

milkie62
10-05-2008, 11:54 PM
If the customer asks for some kind of estimate you need to give them some kind of answer.That is why I give an hourly price since I do not want to be stuck working for $10 /hr after estimating it wrong.One rain storm this time of year can change an easy leaf job into a nightmare.

Midstate Lawncare
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
double the mowing price plus X ammount for getting on the roof. I work like a maniac so I can't go by the hour. I have one lawn in particular that is 20 to mow, and 2 30' gutters so 20 for the roof... $60.00. it takes about 30 miutes so $50 per hour I would shoot myself in the foot. Whatever you think you should charge add $20 to it.

P.Services
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
double the mowing price plus X ammount for getting on the roof. I work like a maniac so I can't go by the hour. I have one lawn in particular that is 20 to mow, and 2 30' gutters so 20 for the roof... $60.00. it takes about 30 miutes so $50 per hour I would shoot myself in the foot. Whatever you think you should charge add $20 to it.

double the mowing rate??????? :laugh::laugh: :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

shade tree landscaping
10-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not putting myself of my guys on a roof. we only remove leaves from turf areas, landscape beds, walkways / driveway. I have never heard of LCOs around here going up on the roof and getting them from the roof and gutter

punt66
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not putting myself of my guys on a roof. we only remove leaves from turf areas, landscape beds, walkways / driveway. I have never heard of LCOs around here going up on the roof and getting them from the roof and gutter

i see some lco's around here doing that. I wont.

P.Services
10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
i will go on the roof but we add $150 for it, takes about 20 more minutes to do the roof and gutters. you do the math.

mattfromNY
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
so you guys who charge by the hour, tell the customer $50 an hour or whatever it may be? I dont feel comfortable giving out my labor rate, as I am sure that some will balk at the price of it, but also dont wanna charge to low and be out money doing clean ups

For other jobs I dont like giving a labor rate. For leaves, it is straight $XX.00/ man hour. Too many variables. Just tonight we did a cleanup, my employee looked at lawn and said 'not much to do here'- Ha, I've cleaned this lawn before, black walnut leaves embedded into the grass. Didn't look like much until we got started, and the leaves piled up deep, real deep. Honestly, the job looked like it would take us 20 minutes, and I might have given a cheap estimate. The job ended up taking us 1.25 hours (x2 men with BR600's and my little wonder 16hp truck loader)

Midstate Lawncare
10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
double the mowing rate??????? :laugh::laugh: :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Yeah.... funny.... $120.00 per hour solo.... who's laughing?...... Me