PDA

View Full Version : Do you save your used Motor Oil?

ATL Lawn
09-30-2008, 01:08 AM
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/images/legacy_images/gif/drain.jpg

Do you save your used Motor Oil?

This may sound dumb, but we use our old used motor oil in our chain saws.
(no, its not pure black, we change the oil in the trucks and mowers very often)

Just wondering, whats some other uses..

jkason
09-30-2008, 01:41 AM
I save it for a farmer that uses it to heat his tractor barn. He's got one of them waste oil heaters.

02DURAMAX
09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
no i just recycle it.

Gravel Rat
09-30-2008, 01:51 AM
I give my used oil to 3 different places that all have waste oil burners that use them for forced air heat. I just changed the oil in my 6.0 got 4 gallons for one of the places I drop off at. I don't reuse used engine oil for anything else it really isn't good for anything else plus its not healthy for a person to be handling.

dcwservices
09-30-2008, 05:02 AM
Chainsaw blades if i need to. But I use it on old big tree stupms. It rots them out faster I find.

fordmstng66
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Friend of mine uses his used motor oil to spray the bottom of his truck every year. I use mine for my chain saw.

AndyTblc
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Friend of mine uses his used motor oil to spray the bottom of his truck every year.

I've never herd of people doing that before.
We save our oil. 2 mowers, 5 vehicles. When we fill up all the containers, I take it down to the local gas station/repair shop and they use it to heat their building.

Grassmechanic
09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Why anyone would want to use dirt laden oil in thier chainsaw is beyond me.

J&R Landscaping
09-30-2008, 07:46 PM
The dealer where I buy my stuff from takes my used oil and recycles it.

ATL Lawn
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM

why you say that?

when you think about it, the oil going into a chainsaw is pretty much disposable..

i wonder have anyone done any research about what realy happens to all the oil that gets sprayed out a chainsaw..

i never really thought about it that way.

SuperDuty335
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Filter it down to 1 micron and burn it with diesel fuel.

ATL Lawn
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I save it for a farmer that uses it to heat his tractor barn. He's got one of them waste oil heaters.

how does that work? does it burn it totally?

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Someone else changes my oil!

D&B Sharp Finish
10-01-2008, 12:03 AM
I pour mine directley into my fuel tank on my truck, just make sure not to make more than a 50/50 mix. And please dont try this unless you have a mechanical injected diesel...

Grassmechanic
10-01-2008, 04:52 PM
why you say that?

when you think about it, the oil going into a chainsaw is pretty much disposable..

i wonder have anyone done any research about what realy happens to all the oil that gets sprayed out a chainsaw..

i never really thought about it that way.

Drain oil contains too much suspended dirt particles that lead to: premature oil pump wear, bar & chain wear, and sprocket wear. The few dollars saved by using drain oil vs. bar oil won't pay off in the long run.

nosparkplugs
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM

:laugh::laugh: While it may sound like a "good" idea I would not use: used or new motor oil for chainsaw blade lubrication it will shorten the life of the chainsaw blade, and damage the pump.

:laugh::laugh: I would not recommend using used motor oil in a modern diesel engine period. While it might seem ok and work, Motor oil is not formulated to burn in the combustion chamber:hammerhead:, and the additive packages leaves varnish on the pistons, and injector tips. I do use 1 quart of AMSOIL HP injector 2 stroke TC-W3 oil per 35 gallons diesel fuel that oil is designed to burn in the combustion chamber.

RECYCLE used oil properly

I have very little used motor oil to recycle, since I have went to Amsoil Syntethic lubricant, I just don't change engine oil like I use to.

I have noticed Autzone is now tracking the amount of used oil that you bring in. Wal-mart has done away with their recycle tank.

Everyone has their little tricks to save money, buy recycling used petrolum products; however as the years have progressed many of these "little secrets" have been proven harmful now.

CAT powered
10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I used to have a waste oil furnace. They burn the oil completely just like home heating oil. It was very messy to fill and use. I've since had it stolen from me and I switched to a heater that uses two 55 gallon drums that burns wood and I'm a lot happier with it.

Right now I put all my old oil into 55 gallon drums and my buddy who has a waste oil furnace comes and picks it up.

D&B Sharp Finish
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
My buddy has a 94 cummins that he has been running used motor oil, tranny fluid, and huydraulic fluid through since new, and he runs it straight! no diesel fuel at all. With the money you would save even if you only ran it for 100,xxx miles you could still buy a new motor or two, or three... if you needed to. I run about a 50/50 mix in mine, and so does my brother and we havn't had any problems.

PlatinumLandCon
10-01-2008, 10:12 PM

Not for the engine, for the chain oil.

Grassmechanic
10-02-2008, 02:22 PM

That's what I was referring to.

Cutter1
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I have a waste oil furnace....love it!!

PTP
10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Friend of mine uses his used motor oil to spray the bottom of his truck every year.

I don't need to do that. My truck does it automatically.;)

AmsoilPower
10-03-2008, 12:24 AM

Thats a sure way to burn up a bar and chain quickly. Just slings off the end of the bar and doesn't lubricate the bottom half.

topsites
10-03-2008, 05:49 AM

I am like you, the oil is used but it's a far cry from crude petrol, I change it at the recommended intervals
plus I run full synthetic and one hates to waste it, the smell of it once it's used is a bit of a turn-off thou.

So, since I buy Wd-40 by the gallon I then use household handheld sprayers such as once-empty Windex bottles,
then I mix the wd-40 50/50 with used oil... That stuff works real good, I use it just like I would regular wd-40, it brings my
cost for wd-40 down to around $6 a gallon and if you think that's expensive just check up on the price, a stupid little 20 ounce
aerosol spray can is 3.99!
So at that rate a gallon would be closer to 24 bucks, but they sell whole gallons as a liquid for around 10-12 bucks (Hint: Harbor Freight).

I use a lot of that, I probably go through two gallons a year easy, I spray hinges like on the trailer and doors, too, plus most anything that
needs a little lubricant, I am telling you I keep three of those handheld sprayers filled up with the stuff around at all times LOL

The other use is once I have sharpened my blades, I coat them lightly with a rag soaked in used oil,
this is straight up used no mixing, and this keeps them from rusting while they sit.

I haven't used them in my chainsaws because one I still have a load of that bar oil, the other thing is I find my used oil is too thin,
I run 10w-30 so I would as soon buy a gallon of generic 20w-50 new which is what I normally use as bar oil.

And I haven't found any other uses for it...

TimTim2008
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
how do they recycle oil? does it go back into cars? after it cleaned?

Grassmechanic
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
how do they recycle oil? does it go back into cars? after it cleaned?

It can be. Or it can be used as a heating fuel. Many uses once it's cleaned.

rfed32
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
take it over to my cuz...hes got the old waste heater at his shop

mag360
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
My buddy has a 94 cummins that he has been running used motor oil, tranny fluid, and huydraulic fluid through since new, and he runs it straight! no diesel fuel at all. With the money you would save even if you only ran it for 100,xxx miles you could still buy a new motor or two, or three... if you needed to. I run about a 50/50 mix in mine, and so does my brother and we havn't had any problems.

He has a heated tank, lines, and filter right? I'd be scared to run 50/50 even but if it works then that's great.

TimTim2008
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I am like you, the oil is used but it's a far cry from crude petrol, I change it at the recommended intervals
plus I run full synthetic and one hates to waste it, the smell of it once it's used is a bit of a turn-off thou.

So, since I buy Wd-40 by the gallon I then use household handheld sprayers such as once-empty Windex bottles,
then I mix the wd-40 50/50 with used oil... That stuff works real good, I use it just like I would regular wd-40, it brings my
cost for wd-40 down to around $6 a gallon and if you think that's expensive just check up on the price, a stupid little 20 ounce
aerosol spray can is 3.99!
So at that rate a gallon would be closer to 24 bucks, but they sell whole gallons as a liquid for around 10-12 bucks (Hint: Harbor Freight).

I use a lot of that, I probably go through two gallons a year easy, I spray hinges like on the trailer and doors, too, plus most anything that
needs a little lubricant, I am telling you I keep three of those handheld sprayers filled up with the stuff around at all times LOL

The other use is once I have sharpened my blades, I coat them lightly with a rag soaked in used oil,
this is straight up used no mixing, and this keeps them from rusting while they sit.

I haven't used them in my chainsaws because one I still have a load of that bar oil, the other thing is I find my used oil is too thin,
I run 10w-30 so I would as soon buy a gallon of generic 20w-50 new which is what I normally use as bar oil.

And I haven't found any other uses for it...

ive done this, and boy you're right

underPSI
09-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Save it to use later to burn yard debris.

GravelyNut
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Used to burn it in the steam locos. Both 1/8 and full size. Now it just goes to the shop and gets recycled.

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 11:01 PM
makes an awesome camp fire starter, just don't let it seep into the ground.

LushGreenLawn
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
My dad was a logger back in the day. He remembers when chainsaws first came out, and used burnt motor oil as chain lube for years. He used enough of it that his vehicles didn't produce enough to run all the time, so he ran some saws on it, and some on regular bar oil, to see if it made a difference, and it did not. The saws with used motor oil did not wear out any faster on average than the ones with bar oil.

Bar oil is supposed to have an additive to make it stick to the chain, but honestly, with a chain spinning that fast, do you really think it still does not fly off at the tip?

GravelyNut
09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
My dad was a logger back in the day. He remembers when chainsaws first came out, and used burnt motor oil as chain lube for years. He used enough of it that his vehicles didn't produce enough to run all the time, so he ran some saws on it, and some on regular bar oil, to see if it made a difference, and it did not. The saws with used motor oil did not wear out any faster on average than the ones with bar oil.

Bar oil is supposed to have an additive to make it stick to the chain, but honestly, with a chain spinning that fast, do you really think it still does not fly off at the tip?

How do you check a chainsaw to see if it is oiling the bar right? You run it wide open in front of a chunk of cardboard and watch for the oil to sling off. No oil coming off at the tip means an oiling problem. And that is with new or used saws and bar lube.

LushGreenLawn
09-19-2009, 11:28 AM
How do you check a chainsaw to see if it is oiling the bar right? You run it wide open in front of a chunk of cardboard and watch for the oil to sling off. No oil coming off at the tip means an oiling problem. And that is with new or used saws and bar lube.

Exactly, no matter what the lube, there is not much returning with the chain back into the saw.

STIHL GUY
09-21-2009, 11:20 PM
i bring it to the recycling center

TimTim2008
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
odd my store dont take oil free anymore

Heavyduty1
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
If they start charging to take used oil, people will start dumping it like they did before recycle centers showed up.:nono:

The Groundskeeper
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Friend of mine uses his used motor oil to spray the bottom of his truck every year. I use mine for my chain saw.

I have been spraying oil on my vehicles for years. If you live in a state where they use salt it will SIGNIFICANTLY slow the rust down. It also makes it a lot easier to work on them! There is a service in our area that will guarentee a vehicles body FOR LIFE from rust if it's treated every year by them, roughly $100/year. That is huge here in the salt belt of the north east. Most people probably do not keep their vehicle long enough to see if they honor it.

Nosmo
06-30-2010, 06:38 AM
I don't use my used oil in any of my chainsaws but if you do here is one way to filter it. I use this method to filter my deep fry grease and it comes out nearly as clean as when it was new.

Use coffee filters to pour the oil through. It will trap most of the carbon and impurities the first time through.

I believe it is best to use a bar oil which has a sticker blended in with it. But I have used new motor oil a few times when I ran out of bar oil.

Nosmo

justanotherlawnguy
07-01-2010, 09:50 PM

god that is cheap. a gallon of stihl bar oil is only 9 bucks......

DoetschOutdoor
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM
$400 + chainsaw vs. $9 gallon of saw oil......hmmmmmmmm. And if you have any kind of a relationship with your saw dealer, they willl throw in a gallon or two of oil for free with a purchase or two!!

You are speaking of reusing gasoline engine oil correct? As black and nasty as diesel oil is, no one in their right mind would handle that ****. Oil goes in the drain tub, then to o'reilleys or on top of a huge burn pit right before lighting.