PDA

View Full Version : need some info to back myself up..

Junior M
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Ok well I was talking to a guy today and he was complaining about getting a mini ex from RSC rental and he said they lied to him, Well naturally I asked how? he said that on the paper work it stated that the machine had 9foot of reach and he had dug a 7 foot deep hole (maybe deeper) and he couldnt reach the bottom. I said well just because it has 9 foot of reach doesnt mean it will dig 9 foot deep. he said well how deep will it dig then? I said well apparently if you couldnt reach the bottom of a 7 foot deep hole than it has a max digging depth of right at or under 7 feet. His reply was Oh, well thats bulls#it, Your lying, if it has nine foot of reach then it should dig nine foot deep.

So was I right? I think I am right I just want to make total sure and go off of just what I think.. Thanks..

Dirt Digger2
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
if it has a 9 foot reach it will most likely dig 9 feet right below the machine...obviously the further away from the machine you go then you won't be able to reach that 9 foot mark...if he is trying to dig 9 feet 5 feet out in front of him then no he wont be able to do it

my question to you is...who are you talking to when your supposed to be in school?

ccstrebe
09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I assume the reach is measured from the pivot point of the boom and if the pivot point of the boom is 2ft off the ground then the bucket will reach down 9ft digging a 7ft trench.

minimax
09-30-2008, 10:20 AM
A mini with 9ft of reach will not dig 7 ft down,For example my mini will reach about 17ft but will only dig a 10ft deep hole so I would guess that the mini he had would go down maybe 5ft.

minimax

jefftb
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
First of all this must be a tiny mini-ex. A reach of only 9'? Crap I was not sure that even exists so I went over to the Komatsu website and found their smallest excavator at 8.7 HP-the PC09. This thing has a reach of 9'11" at ground level.

Max Dig depth is a whopping 4'11" with a max digging reach of 9'4". Vertical wall depth is 3'10".

All you have to do is look at the geometry of a machine boom (BTW-which is probably where you should be right now-in Geometry class) to quickly understand why reach and dig depth cannot be the same......

Your friend may need to go with you to Geometry class....:rolleyes::laugh:

bobcat_ron
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I can dig 9 feet with my mini, but not a 9 foot flat bottom, then it's only 5 feet.

JDSKIDSTEER
09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
35D Has 17 ft 1.5" digging reach, but max digging depth listed at 10 ft. .04 in.

RentalGuy
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I run a rental store and I have always tried to figure out the customers exact needs before renting them an excavator. Dig depths are very important when renting these machines so our price guide lists actual, maximum dig depths + reach.

All that being said, I don't think that RSC lied to this guy.

larryinalabama
09-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Dig a 9' hole and sit on the edge and hope it doesnt give way or hope you dont pull ypurself in.

Junior M
09-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I know RSC didnt lie.. and sorry bout the grammatical error i didnt double check
Oh yeah and I think he said it was a 323 bobcat.. not to sure though..

Gravel Rat
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
If he was running out of reach why did he rent a small machine. A 323 is only a 6000lb machine it doesn't have much reach at all. When your working with a mini you have to bench the hole or make a ramp into the hole to get enough dig depth.