PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Tire Thread

SiteSolutions
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Just put 4 Firestone Transforce HT on the wife's Excursion. They feel nice going down the road and I am hopeful they will last a while and perform adequately in the rain. We rarely see snow here and she doesn't like to drive off the pavement so I think these will be a good fit for her.

Now I need to hook up my own truck. I nearly had a set of Toyo Open Country M/T, one size up (285/75-16) put on this past weekend. I talked to a buddy of mine who said he went through a set of similar tires in only 1000 miles. He is running an Excursion 4x4, which I would think would be similar to my F-350 SRW 4x4 in setup.

Anybody else got a recommendation for a tough on and off road tire? Maybe the Toyo A/T? It has to be load range "E" / 10 ply rating, and it has to have at least moderate off highway ability, although the M/T looks like it borders on overkill for what I would use it for... 50% going to look at jobs with no load, 50% towing 12,000 lbs to the job... occasional off highway use, frequent run-ins with sharp objects around job sites.

Thanks y'all...

GravelyGuy
09-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I was thinking about getting the Open Country M/T's myself. They get good reveiws online and from the few that I've talked to. They look really cool, but I don't know how they would do on packed snow/ice.

I have heard good things about the BFGoodrich T/A KO.

Gravel Rat
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
What size are you after ?

The Toyo M-55 is a commercial light truck tire you will get very good mileage out of them and they come in these sizes. The Toyos M-55s work good in mud and fairly decent on the highway you will get some tire howl.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/sizesLT.asp?Sizes=M55&Data+Request=Get+Data

talus
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
2nd that on the Toyo Open Country mt's. I put them on the 97 f350 I had. Put 20k on em and they had about 50% left. Waaaaaaaay better than the Goodyear Wrangler mtr. they wore very funny. Lots of cupping. I know some will say Did yoy replace your shocks? Yes they were done at the same time along with an alignment. My friends brand new Jeep rubicon did the same thing. As far as rain they were great. Snow and ice too. Truck wasn't plowed though. I don't think you would be disapointed with them.

SiteSolutions
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
What size are you after ?

The Toyo M-55 is a commercial light truck tire you will get very good mileage out of them and they come in these sizes. The Toyos M-55s work good in mud and fairly decent on the highway you will get some tire howl.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/sizesLT.asp?Sizes=M55&Data+Request=Get+Data

That link doesn't work, maybe not for people in the US?

I found it here...

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=18975&name=M-55%99&category=light-truck-comm

nosparkplugs
09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
DO NOT purchase Toyo Open Country A/T, waste of money! I ate those up in 15,000miles on my F-350 dually, and Dodge 2500 gasburner their way to soft for towing. The best tire to date I have found for a SRW truck 3/4 ton or 1 ton, are the Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/65/18 Extra load 120's D, withstanding Heavy towing, no sidewall buldging or flexing, wearing like steal, and stick like velco on wet pavement, great of moderate off road use, so tire nosie at higway speed. The only other OEM tire I would purchase again are Michelin LTX AS their an excellent tire.

mike lane lawn care
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
i just put transforce HT on my 2500HD, i tow heavily, and not just around town, i do longer haul trips with my buddy and his race car. the tires give excellent traction in dirt and mud(he races dirt tracks and the pits are always muddy) and it gives a smooth ride going down the road. i would very highly recommend these, and i do run over sharp objects like glass and nails all the time with zero problems.

SiteSolutions
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
yeah, the transforce feel good on my wife's truck... makes me a little jealous. They also only had the E range in stock and I happen to be running some free hand-me-downs right now, so she has better rated tires than me right now.

The issue may force itself; one of the hand-me-downs has got a low-speed wobble in it. I will have it checked in the AM

I do want somethign with a little more bite than the HT, though...

SiteSolutions
10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Tread separating on left rear tire so I went ahead and bought 4 new ones.

Went with the Toyo Open Country M/T in 285/75-16, 10 PR

So far just driven home from the tire store with them. They look good on the truck and hopefully will handle weight and rugged use.

Gravel Rat
10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Can you hear the engine for tire howl :laugh:

Toyo makes a decent tire. They probably won't be high mileage tires being mud meats on a heavy pick up. If you lay off on the tire fires at every stop light the tires will last :laugh:

davis45
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I just put some Cooper STT 285-75/16 on mine. I'm nervous, I have heard great things from some people, and bad news from others. Oh well, pretty decent price for a 33" tire, plus they look sweeeet. (Paid $800 mounted and balanced)

nosparkplugs
10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I just put some Cooper STT 285-75/16 on mine. I'm nervous, I have heard great things from some people, and bad news from others. Oh well, pretty decent price for a 33" tire, plus they look sweeeet. (Paid $800 mounted and balanced)

Cooper tire company made in USA, on of the best darn tire's

Wish I would have tired Cooper before Toyo Open Contry, IMO Toyo's are the absolute worst wearing tires on the market you will NOT get more than 25,000 miles if your lucky, and have a "light" foot. When hauling a trailer I could see the tire compound left on the pavement from turning or taking off, from a stop light, and the uneven wear is uncontrollable, piss poor tires for the money.

Again, Cooper makes a excellent tire I'm running the top of the line Cooper Zeon's LTZ 285/65/18 120's extra load, best tire I have run to date on a diesel truck; however in the past Cooper tire has been accused of poor quality ONLY on their passenger car line the "Economy tire line".Which has caused some customer "defections" The price range of the tire was $25.00 to $99.00. None of their high end premium tire lines were affected in any way.

davis45
10-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Cooper STT. 285-75/16 which is equal to a 33" tall tire. Camera phone sucks, these are some sexy lookin tires.

nosparkplugs
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
You could burn those tires off your truck:laugh: to expensive to do that, Nice Cooper tires, are you going to go MUDDIN? always like seeing pictures of a nice Dodge, is that a ranch hand bumper. I am going to invest in some aftermarket bumpers here in the next couple of years, if anything but added protection for the Cummins engine & intercooler.

davis45
10-02-2008, 10:44 PM
You could burn those tires off your truck:laugh: to expensive to do that, Nice Cooper tires, are you going to go MUDDIN? always like seeing pictures of a nice Dodge, is that a ranch hand bumper. I am going to invest in some aftermarket bumpers here in the next couple of years, if anything but added protection for the Cummins engine & intercooler.

I'll be sure to get muddin pictures. I belive it is a Big Tex bumper, I'm not sure if that model is made anymore. Love the design, notice the hitch is made into the bumper.

Within a couple weeks i'm gettin window tint, tow mirrors, Edge chip, Intake, and stacks :clapping: haha (Im a hick)

GravelyGuy
10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Cooper STT. 285-75/16 which is equal to a 33" tall tire. Camera phone sucks, these are some sexy lookin tires.

How are those in the snow? I'm sure they pull through the deep stuff, but what about the packed down icy stuff.

davis45
10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
How are those in the snow? I'm sure they pull through the deep stuff, but what about the packed down icy stuff.

I have only had them a few days. They ARE snow rated, and i've been told they are a great snow and ice tire. I was just reading on another site that they have holes in the tread for studs. I will have to check that out in the morning.

qualitylawnpro
10-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Im putting a set of firestone transforce at 's on my 07 dodge dually great tire with just enough bite!

topsites
10-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Oh no, those are all soft rubber tires, I need my tires to last 100,000 miles or more,
so when the ones that came with the truck wear out I only consider LRR truck tires.

Something like these, maybe:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/radial-long-trail-t-a/15.html

Here's a good choice, now reading the reviews quickly highlights how these are not for everybody:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Commercial+T%2FA+All-Season&partnum=385R6COMMTA&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

SiteSolutions
10-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Wish I would have tired Cooper before Toyo Open Contry, IMO Toyo's are the absolute worst wearing tires on the market you will NOT get more than 25,000 miles if your lucky, and have a "light" foot.

Were you running 10 PR? M/T or A/T?

I am hoping to get a year or more of use out of these. If they are bald at 25,000 I will be, um, disappointed.

nosparkplugs
10-05-2008, 12:56 AM

I am hoping to get a year or more of use out of these. If they are bald at 25,000 I will be, um, disappointed.

10ply Open Country A/T

nosparkplugs
10-05-2008, 01:02 AM

10ply Open Country A/T, I got a $100.00 gas card then I was a sukka:laugh:, and the 30 day Toyo guarantee does not apply to commercial use or towing so, I was stuck. Sad; because I knew these tires were not for my application before the 30 day trial was up.

SiteSolutions
10-05-2008, 01:30 AM
10ply Open Country A/T, I got a $100.00 gas card then I was a sukka:laugh:, and the 30 day Toyo guarantee does not apply to commercial use or towing so, I was stuck. Sad; because I knew these tires were not for my application before the 30 day trial was up.

My tire dealer told me about a guy who had bad experience with the A/T, went with the M/T and it was a better tire.

I also had a buddy bad mouth the M/T, said it was junk after 1000 miles.

So I am holding my breath. I have a lot of confidence in my tire man, I have known him for ten years and he has always been good to deal with.

I will let you guys know what happens.