PDA

View Full Version : digging pictures

P.Services
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
a few pics from today. the truck got stuck last night, it had just started to rain so it was slick as shat and my 4x4 doesnt work. the 321 isnt a bad machine, moves alot of dirt now that i put a much bigger bucket on it, it gets kinda tippy but nothing much. the dirt out in the middle is going to be a pain in the a$$ to bail out 3 or 4 times.
i like the little lcd screen in the cat, adds a touch of color :laugh

it seems so small but the hissing from the cat controls gets on my dang nerves!!! however i do like the low growl of the engine, its sounds so much better than dads pc200.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM

bobcatuser
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
So what kind of work are you doing with the CAT?

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
He's pond diggin.

So when you gonna trade that POS Dodge in on a real truck like a Ford, Picasso?

Junior M
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Looking at the zero tail swing makes it look really similar to a feller buncher with a bucket on it.. So are you just going to stock pile the dirt some where and then haul it off? what did you finally decide to do?

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I think the zero tail swing looks pretty cool. Being more compact like that makes it look more built-up and tough in my opinion.

ksss
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I really like the zero tail large excavators. I put many hours on a CASE 225 and I would really like to own one. The only issue with them is that they are heavy to haul around. The cab is not as roomy as a conv. machine but not having to worry about where your tail is priceless, especially on demo jobs.

Good thing thats not meant to be a basement. A little rough, but I am sure your just trying to get the material hogged out.

Scag48
09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
ZTS excavators are a little different, operating wise, than conventional tail. In comparison to a 320, the 321 is substantially heavier, peformance wise the two are practically identical and that's the way the 321's are designed. They will lift the same loads and drag the same buckets as a 320. It takes a little getting used to with these ZTS machines, usually not more than half hour to get acquainted with a little different weight distrubution. ZTS machines make below average operators look like idiots. If you're not smooth with a ZTS machine, it shows easily.

I see dozer tracks out there, something you're not telling us?

bobcat_ron
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I love the new D series Pilot controls, now they have the new proportional control packages in them for thumbs and grapples.

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Picasso what've you been backing into with that Dodge? The tailgate is just one big dent.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
the dozer tracks in the first pic are from the excavating company using a d6 to finish grade, they do a ok job with it.

i put the dodge in neutral and used the 332 to pull it out and onto dry grass, as it got on the grass the chain came off and it started to roll down the hill so i had to make a real fast decision and back the 332 into it and stop it. it put a good size dent in the front bumper.

yeah the bottom of the hole is kinda messy but im just throwing it out as fast as i can i will run the 332 in it for a few hours to clean up, i have a basement to dig with the 321 later this week so i will do a better job on that. it will be my first one so i hope all goes well.

has anyone ever done a sewer tap?

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Picasso what've you been backing into with that Dodge? The tailgate is just one big dent.

my dump truck :laugh::laugh:

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
So what's broken on it since the last time I saw a picture of it? *besides the bumper and tailgate*

Gravel Rat
09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
A Dodge can get stuck on a banana peal :laugh:

One of the contractors bought some Komatsu 225 Zero tailswings the operators hate the machine. I used to run a 158 Komatsu I didn't like it either. Yes you have to get used to the tippyness of a full size zero tail swing.

The only benefit I see with them if your working in utilities and tight areas and need digging power. Where Picasso is working a conventional machine is better for slinging mud.

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I wish I had a ZTS machine like that back when I was doing a lot of septic systems. I was using a mid 90s Linkbelt 2700 Series II and it was always tight for clearance when I was trying to swing around and set galleries.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
So what's broken on it since the last time I saw a picture of it? *besides the bumper and tailgate*

the 4x4 broke. it leaks oil from a new location, and the front end is all fed up

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Crazy thought here. Why don't you invest in a new truck before you invest in a 305 CAT or 60D? You could probably save a ton on repairs and fluid replacement.

Scag48
Working in tight areas is where ZTS machines were deigned to go. Running them out in the open, unless they are your only option, is less than sensible.

Cat powered, just noticed your signature, hilarious. :laugh:

P.Services
this machine is ALOT more stable then i thought it would be. first it had a 42'' shallow bucket on it that was waaaay to small. now it has a 48'' with a super deep heel and it will tip it if you dont have your tracks under you right. its a nice machine, easy as shat to run after i found the control switcherroo valve.

just for the record i didnt request a cr excavator, i asked for a 320d but they didnt have one so i got this. i could have steped up to a 325 but didnt want to pay the extra grand

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Crazy thought here. Why don't you invest in a new truck before you invest in a 305 CAT or 60D? You could probably save a ton on repairs and fluid replacement.

i just dont want to spend 35k on a darn useless pickup. i just have a hard time spending that much cash on something that makes me almost nothing. a 305 can pay its own rent.

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
You don't have to spend 35 grand and get a brand new truck.

I can get you a truck that will start when you turn the key and keep its fluids in for under 6 grand! You probably end up spending more than that per year on that junk Dodge.

Scag48
09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
That machine should sling a 60" fairly easy. When my dad had a 312, it had a 315 sized coupler on it. Turns out, NC Machinery puts 315 sized couplers on the 312s to assist in their rental fleet. That way, 315's and 312's share buckets, hammers, hoepacs, etc.. So when I need a cleanup bucket, they sent me a 60" that was for at least a 315, if not a 320 the salesman said. I only rented the bucket while our 48" was on it's way. I was loading my buddy's truck with that beast fairly easy. However, the dirt I was in isn't nearly as dense.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:31 PM
haaa under 6k that will be another pile!! i need a diesel engine. im looking at lightly used trucks.

CAT powered
09-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Actually I have a little 97 Chevy 1500 that was owned by SNET that I bought for 2700 bucks. It had 117k miles on it. It now has 165,000 miles and all I've had to do was put tires on it cause the tread wore off, do a set of brakes, and replace a fuel pump. Other than that I haven't had to do a thing. The AC even works! That probably wouldn't work for you because you need something to move your stuff with, but there are cheap trucks out there that will run for a long time. I find that the uglier the truck the longer it'll run without any issues.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:34 PM
i think a 60 would slow me down when digging and be to heavy. thats huge if its a deep heel.

i like buckets that are a little narrow but super deep, they cut faster then a wide bucket because they have more force on a smaller cutting edge and fewer teeth but the deep heel still lets them hold as much dirt as a bigger bucket.

P.Services
09-30-2008, 11:47 PM
has anyone done a sewer tap?

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2008, 01:08 AM
i have....one of the worst experiences i have ever done...

Junior M
10-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Picasso did you say that the CAT has a valve to switch controls?

I really like the ZTS to i think it makes it look alot stronger and tougher almost mean.. hahahaha..

AWJ Services
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Here in Ga sewer taps have too be installed by a licensed plumber.

ksss
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
has anyone done a sewer tap?

I have. I did not find it that bad. There is a lot of handwork. Digging all the way around the pipe sucks. The big thing to remember is don't shatter the concrete sewer pipe during the tap and make sure your tap is higher than the flow line. Violate either of those and your in deep sh!t.:drinkup:

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
well i guess Picasso you should also clarify....are you running a 1 1/2" pressure pipe into a man hole that will require directional boring? are you running a 4" line into an existing concrete pipe? is it a 4" line that is running into a PVC pipe where you will have to disconnect service while you install your tap? or are you running a 4" or 6" pipe into a man hole where you will have to go down inside and create a trough with cement so your new pipe will get positive flow into the existing sewer line

a lot of townships require many inspections throughout the process of installing the pipes because once you make the tap the pipe becomes the sewer authorities responsibility....they will be out there checking to make sure you are running proper fall, checking your taps to make sure they are water tight, and if the existing line is in bad shape you might even have to replace some of that

BrandonV
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
so how much for that lovely machine?

P.Services
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
so how much for that lovely machine?

its just a rental for a week, not mine

P.Services
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
im going to start looking into what all is required for the tap. i know its a 4'' line going into a existing concrete main line.

i have a basement to dig and he asked me if i can do the tap also.

do i just use a 4'' diamond core bit to drill out the hole for the pipe.

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
im going to start looking into what all is required for the tap. i know its a 4'' line going into a existing concrete main line.

i have a basement to dig and he asked me if i can do the tap also.

do i just use a 4'' diamond core bit to drill out the hole for the pipe.

you could use a regular 1/2" hammer drill bit and drill a bunch of holes and knock them out...then put hydraulic cement around the pipe...

you're going to have to check your local ordinances...every town has their own ideas on how to do it...call your local health department or township office and talk to an inspector to get the real deal

P.Services
10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
yeah i planed on calling friday. my dad says "shat we use to just smash a hole with a BFH slide the pipe in throw a few dig chunks of dirt next to it to keep the fines from falling in and call it good". yeah that was before "codes"

ksss
10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
yeah i planed on calling friday. my dad says "shat we use to just smash a hole with a BFH slide the pipe in throw a few dig chunks of dirt next to it to keep the fines from falling in and call it good". yeah that was before "codes"

We have to use a stirrup that bands around the main. It has a rubber boot that fits the 4" service line.

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2008, 11:54 PM
do it on a sunday...then you won't even have to pay tap-in fees...HAHA

South Florida Lawns
11-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey Picasso I like that dodge of yours, reminds me of my buddys 03' 2500 with the 5.9 V8. His 4x4 is broke too! The thing is so beat cuz of his drinking problems. I like how Gravel Rat said dodges can get stuck on a banana peal. I remember pulling a stuck 1/2 ton on 38" tires out of the mud with his truck, and well I'm not gonna name any brands but I made it through the ruts of the guy I pulled out. And with 3" smaller tires too!

P.Services
11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
if you were closer i would give dodger to you.

CAT powered
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
So, Picasso. Any breaking news on the Dodge?

Note the BREAKING part.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 07:56 PM
if you were closer i would give dodger to you.
What about me??

CAT powered
11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think he hates you that much, Junior.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't think he hates you that much, Junior.
dam, well dam um I dont know there's a chance...

P.Services
11-21-2008, 09:17 PM
that dodge needs to go, i dont even feel like typing todays saga out.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 09:25 PM
How far from where your at Picasso to the Ohio state line?

P.Services
11-21-2008, 09:44 PM
How far from where your at Picasso to the Ohio state line?

it wont make it that far

Junior M
11-21-2008, 09:50 PM
it wont make it that far
Dam, it's that bad?

P.Services
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Dam, it's that bad?

yeah its getting worse every day.

im thinking about just making a 15w40 i.v for it, i will have a 2 gallon i.v bag and it will be plumbed right into the oilpan.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 07:22 AM
yeah its getting worse every day.

im thinking about just making a 15w40 i.v for it, i will have a 2 gallon i.v bag and it will be plumbed right into the oilpan.
Does it have the 318 in it?

Superior L & L
11-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Oh no what happened??

mag360
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Does it have the 318 in it?

360. With high miles.

Junior M
11-22-2008, 04:41 PM
360. With high miles.
I figured it was the 360 but there are some 2500's with the 318 in it..

riverwalklandscaping
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
the bucket looks really small for some reason

South Florida Lawns
11-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Have you had to replace the transmission yet? My friend went through three of those. We just re did the ball joints. And he also drove from Georgia to Florida with no gear oil in the rear end. The truck has had water inside the cab almost a foot deep. I'm trying to remember what else he has done to the thing. Oh it has dump mufflers that exit under the cab, it sounds like total garbage. I'll try and find a picture of the whole shebang.

P.Services
11-24-2008, 12:19 AM
yeah i have done the trans and the rear.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 07:59 AM
yeah i have done the trans and the rear.
I woulda trashed the truck when the tranny went out..

P.Services
11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I woulda trashed the truck when the tranny went out..

that would have been the best decision of my life. right after the trans went EVERYTHING started to go out. its ok i learned.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
that would have been the best decision of my life. right after the trans went EVERYTHING started to go out. its ok i learned.

It only takes once and you'll know what to do next time. I had an Audi for almost 3 years, great car, didn't have any problems with it up until a couple months before I sold it. Timing belt snapped with only 50K miles on the belt, cost me $5K to get it running again. I wanted to sell the car for parts for $3K, instead my dad talked me into fixing it. 3 months later I sold it for $7K, still had an automatic transmission that may have been starting to have issues as well as other problems. I would've been money ahead selling it for parts. Last time I'll own anything German without a warranty.

P.Services
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
its just hard to let a truck die and sell it for parts or as is and take a beating. i should have just sold that dodge for 3k and walked into the dealer with it. you think "oh two grand and then it will be good as new" then this goes and that goes.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Yep, that's exactly how it goes. My dad is really guilty of that crap. For being a smart dude, he blows money on stuff that isn't worth fixing. He made a good choice in buying a new truck a couple weeks ago now that it's a buyer's market. With the 2 other trucks getting close to 200K on each, you can only roll the dice so many times before you hit snake eyes. His Ford 7.3 should be good for a while, they are a solid truck and his has never given problems. But, he needs at least 2 trucks, so if the other rig went down he'd still be screwed.