PDA

View Full Version : Kichler's 15558WH Digital Timer

Chris J
09-30-2008, 10:34 PM
This topic was brought up a while back, but I just had another encounter with the 15558WH timer malfunctioning. I had a customer call to tell me that their lights weren't coming on. When I arrived, there was no longer a programed on and off time (it somehow was erased). I replaced the timer to be on the safe side, but it happened again the very next day. The timer is being used on a 15PR900SS transformer (900w tranny). I've seen this problem several times before, but I haven't been able to figure out was causes the timer to lose it's program. It seems to happen in the 900s the most, but I've seen it on 600s also. Anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? I've got a call into Kichler, so hopefully they already know about this and can provide an answer.

MarkOlex
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
We have had more than a dozen of these with the same problem. Some on 600, 900, and 1200 watt trans and different manus. I was under the impression that they resolved this issue but have since seen the same problem.

Malibu landscape
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
If the 900 watt and up transformer has no relay in it the chances are good that you will fry your timer from inrush.

TXNSLighting
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
There is a recall on this timer. One of my suppliers called me about it. They dont know whats causing it to happen.

Malibu landscape
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
made in china no doubt

Chris J
10-01-2008, 07:44 AM
If the 900 watt and up transformer has no relay in it the chances are good that you will fry your timer from inrush.

In an attempt to track the problem, I took this latest timer and have it plugged into a lamp in my bedroom. For the last few days it has been working fine. I don't think the timers are being fried, but something is happening (possibly inrush) that is knocking out the program.

As far as the problem being rectified and you are still seeing trouble: In my experience, it takes quite some time to stop getting the faulty stuff when changes are made. It seems that the suppliers do not send their inventory back to the manu, thus you have to wait until the original inventory has been depleted before you get rid of the problem entirely. If a recall did occur, then I doubt very seriously that my distributor sent their stock back. Unfortunately for me, I use a somewhat large distributor with multiple stores in several states. This issue will undoubtedly be a lingering one for me.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
these have always had problems since they came out...always...There is no rhyme or reason and if you have had a problem you got very very lucky!

S&MLL
10-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Chris I have heard different stories on this. It was a huge problem for every company not just Kichlers. Anyone who took that timer and put their stamp on it got a bad batch. If you saw problems in a 600 watt trans you must have been pretty close to 100 percent load on trans. Problems were occurring from the 900 and up. Chris if you install coopermoon give wade beam a call over there. He has alot of info on the situation.

Chris J
10-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Chris I have heard different stories on this. It was a huge problem for every company not just Kichlers. Anyone who took that timer and put their stamp on it got a bad batch. If you saw problems in a 600 watt trans you must have been pretty close to 100 percent load on trans. Problems were occurring from the 900 and up. Chris if you install coopermoon give wade beam a call over there. He has alot of info on the situation.

Thanks. Wade actually called me when he saw my post here. I also received a call from Mike Southard at Kichler. He told me the problem had been delt with and fixed. I am just continuing to get older units that were never returned by my dist. (see post above) I figured that would happen.

emdoller
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I just purchased a 900W kichler and am considering this digital timer. Has this issue been resolved?

Also, since I have not received my transformer yet, how does the timer "hook up" to the transformer?