PDA

View Full Version : registering my business

mikey
02-06-2002, 06:21 PM
hi
i was speaking with someone about registering my business..
they told me i have to speak to a lawyer and if i want to go INC.
it would probably cost me around $1000?is it true? What do i have to do to beome registered...im the only employee,i thought it was free i wasnt aware i had to pay all these fees like lawyers and all that stuff ...

LawnLad
02-06-2002, 07:19 PM
There will be a state filing fee, how much in Mass, I don't know. But maybe a $100 or $150.

You will need an attorney to incorporate your business. You could probably get it done for about $300 to $500 depending on the market. If it's simple - one owner, nothing complicated.

If you want to be a sole proprietorship - then the forms with the state are pretty simple and an accountant can help point you in the right direction.

You'll need to fill out a SS-4 form; An application for an employer identification number. You can do this over the phone, they give you the number and then you mail in the form.

It's pretty simple. Talk to an attorney, usually they'll grant you an hour gratis (free) to talk about your 'case' or issue. They'll explain it to you. Find an attorney that you want to work with - don't take any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street.

heygrassman
02-06-2002, 07:28 PM
I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY NOR AN ACCOUNTANT..

That being said, I would look towards an LLC.

Much cheaper..