PDA

View Full Version : blades for leaves?

flatlander42
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
do you guys use different blades when leaves start falling?

i have an '05 eXmark Navigator, and it works 'OK' in leaves. this is my first season on the mower, and it does great w/o leaves, and just Fair in leaves. it eats them up as fast as i can throw em at it, but it just leaves a small trail in the center after i have gone over. not much of a trail, just a little bit where the two blades mesh together in the center.

it will get all of the leaves if i back up over them, but that is just not reasonable.

and no, for you walker guys, i will not get a walker! :nono:, i ran one for the last 4 summers, and it kinda had the same problem, in a way, but i dont think i payed as much attention as now.

i will use this one till she dies probably.

i was just wandering if i changed blades if that would be part of my problem, because now i just have normal blades from my eXmark dealer.

oh and my dealer has never delt with the Navigator till this one, and i bet he is clueless as far as asking him on this.

any tips from the guys on here with Navigators would be GREAT!!!

Thanks,

Nathan

landmk
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Master, Just bought a "08" nav. so far works awesome on anything that gets under the deck its in the trunk no leftovers. just a thought on my unit under the deck there are two adj. paddles that can be adj. for 80% pick up or full pick up or to not bag at all if your model has these they should be wide open to let all the leaves or grass go into the bagging area they are located just before the opening in the rear of the deck I hope this helps you out K.

flatlander42
10-01-2008, 08:59 PM
my navigator did not have those options yet....it is straight bagging only..but thanks for the response!!! got any pics of your nav? show me what you got.....we are few in numbers i think!!!

Thanks,
Nathan

flatlander42
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
here is my 05 navigator with 230 hours
sitting next to my old bosses walker with well over 3000 hours

what a difference let me tell ya!:cool2:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/100_1427.jpg

that was when i got it, with 75hrs on it....now here it is being put through er paces today *no leaves though* im perty positive it is the blades that would help with leafs:dizzy:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/100_1609.jpg

johnnyusa
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a walker and heres what I would ck.(1.) ck. the blower belt for wear it might be slipping. 2.ck impellar and see if there is build up restricting you vacuum? If there is take blower belt off and pressure wash inside blower housing until it clears out and impellar spins freely.( 3.) ck inside bagger tubes ( especially elbow inside 9.5 bagger) for buildup near elbow which can cause vacuum loss? (4) see if there is a larger screen available that will also create more vacuum? I was losing a little vacuum and I had a clog in my vent holes(bat wings) on my deck and as soon as I cleared them i could suck leaves in a few inches outside deck. Hope this helps John

flatlander42
10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
i can take the front 6" of my screen and flip it so there is no screen in the front of the box....works great for grass, but with leaves, it allows the leaves to float and blow around and out the back of the box leaving a trail that is Worse. so it is not that, and yes my screen is clean.

from what i can tell, there is no buildup in the blower itself, but it will be getting a good cleaning come friday (next day with time)

the deck is super clean, and so is the chute, so not that either....

and i sound like the worlds largest ShopVac driving around yards so i know theres a poop load of sucking going on :weightlifter:

oh, and my navigator has no deck vents, so those cant be unplugged :(

THANKS,

Nathan

johnnyusa
10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
If your flipping the screen and the cut is clean without the leaves in the middle the you have to come up with an idea to block leaves from coming out the back. the larger screen 3/4" holes on walker solves this.

flatlander42
10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
i actually have not dont that with many leaves.....i just changed it a few weeks ago when i first began to notice it....i will flip it in the morning and see if the stripe is gone or not. I had not thought of it that way. Would it make that much of a diff even if my screen is clean though?

Thanks again,
Nathan

johnnyusa
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Bigger holes definately increase the vacuum. also are your blades timed and do you have square edge at the tips of your blades after sharpening? I use high lifts and they are great. just trying to cover everything. Good luck

johnnyusa
10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Also try raising the rear of deck up 1 extra hole that will also create more vacuum underneath. might be enough to clean up that little bit in the middle

flatlander42
10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
is there an eXmark REP in here that could comment?

i did go up a 1/4" in the rear, and it did a small amount better, but still not perfect.
tom. i will give er a good clean *blower and chute*

Thanks,
Nathan

johnnyusa
10-02-2008, 06:05 PM
how did you make out with screen turning it over?

flatlander42
10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
it was about the same *with the deck raised a 1/4" in the rear*

my screen must have enough flow when clean.

Nathan

lawnproslawncare
04-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Have you tried raising the front of the deck up instead of the rear? I know with the Walkers they have the same problem and doing that seems to help. I do agree with the guy who commented on raising the deck up, but the problem you get is that its harder to pick up the matted down wet leaves then.

My philosophy is just trying to convince your clients to make more regular visits when the leaves are dropping. Now with that said I know its impossible when you have clients that only have you stop once in spring and once in the fall and you don't mow.

What cut height are you at in the spring, maybe it has to do with things getting embedded into the grass because its too tall? I don't think to many people have the right answer yet. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Maybe Prez wants to get in on this forum and has the answer ;)

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
nah, I got er figured out....now if I just can remember what I did.

I think I ended up raising the height all around....but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks for the help anyways!

Nathan