PDA

View Full Version : What the he\\ is causing this stripe

dfor
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
52" Wright Velke walk behind. As the picture shows, I made two passes together. What the heck could be causing the dark stripe that you see?

I know that it is the left most 3 inches or so of the deck. It happens even when the deck is cleaned spotless.

Can't be a belt problem. Spindle?? The left one seems ok. The deck belt is riding a little high on the IDLER pully, but that shouldn't be it.

Any ideas????

lawns Etc
10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Thats from your sulky I will guess a single wheel one thats normal from the single wheel sulkies.

dcombs
10-01-2008, 07:42 PM
does your deck have any anti-scalp wheels on it?

dfor
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
It is not from a sulky. The light color is TWO passes with the mower.

And, no, the mower does not have any anti scalp wheels.

landmk
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
:)How old are the blades? are the tips worn? and is the bevel on the blade edge at or around 45 degrees? I had a Ferris 1500Z that was very sensitive to if the blade's were sharp or not and the slightest bit of ware it would do the same thing took a long time to figure that one out. Every other day or more often if I whacked something hiding in the grass I would have to sharpen those baby's in order to keep the line monster at bay!!!!

ALC-GregH
10-01-2008, 08:22 PM
almost looks like you missed a spot.

MJS
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
In the picture, were you mowing left to right, or right to left?

Frue
10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
there looks to be a deck overhang. Meaning, when your mower goes over the grass the deck and wheels push down the grass, but where the deck hangs over there is not enough weight to press the grass down. Either that or you are not cutting over far enough

bob
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
It might be the discharge from the deck. Its blowing the grass in another direction.

NC Greenscaper
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Check your blade tips and the back edge as was mentioned earlier. Better yet just change then and see if it goes away

dfor
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I have tried 3 different sets of blades. Still does it. It has been doing it for a while. The lift on the left 3" is awful.

wheels910
10-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I would just drop that customer. It's probably some type of hybrid turfgrass or something. Shouldn't make that stripe on most normal yards.

Nah, check your blades and deck to see if anything looks out of whack.

Beats me.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
there looks to be a deck overhang. Meaning, when your mower goes over the grass the deck and wheels push down the grass, but where the deck hangs over there is not enough weight to press the grass down. Either that or you are not cutting over far enough

Thats kind of what I was thinking. That little bit of overhang on the deck would lay the grass the other way causing the darker stripe. I highly doubt this could be the problem, because it don't look like it but is your deck level and all tires inflated properly? And is there any bent or worn blades? Hope this helped a little bit. That would drive me crazy for it to do that and I couldn't figure out why.
Good Luck With This Problem, keep us posted

S L C
10-02-2008, 01:27 AM
52" Wright Velke walk behind. As the picture shows, I made two passes together. What the heck could be causing the dark stripe that you see?

I know that it is the left most 3 inches or so of the deck. It happens even when the deck is cleaned spotless.

Can't be a belt problem. Spindle?? The left one seems ok. The deck belt is riding a little high on the IDLER pully, but that shouldn't be it.

Any ideas????

Seriously, it's ALIENS, go out and find them!! :hammerhead: :rolleyes:

Richard Martin
10-02-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm with Frue and Lawn Freak. Deck overhang. Try some high lift blades.

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
10-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Try checking the spacers on your spidles above the blades. I doubt thats the the problem, but make sure you have all of them in the right place.

dishboy
10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
With the blades on full throttle take a look under the deck and see if the deck is dumping or blasting air in that spot pushing the grass over.

ALC-GregH
10-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Is the deck pitched down in the front? That could possibly be part of the problem.

JimQ
10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
With the blades on full throttle take a look under the deck and see if the deck is dumping or blasting air in that spot pushing the grass over.

In my opinion, dishboy is closest to the answer.

I'm assuming that the darker colored strip of grass is cut to the same length as the rest of the grass.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the 2 passes on the right were made mowing away from the camera. The majority of the grass is brushed forward creating a light colored stripe. The outer most 3" or 4" on the trim side of the deck a blowing the grass back creating the narrow dark stripe.

Vorticies form off the blade sail. This happens at the blade tip and off the inside tip of a notched sail blade. Depending on the amount of lift, length of sail, notched or formed sail, etc, this can have varying effects on the appearance of the stripe.

I know dfor said he's tried 3 different blades. What type of blades?

The first thing I would try would be to bring the deck as close to level as possible. Forget pitch for now. Try to get the rear skirt of the deck to comb the grass forward after it's cut.

I'm not sure about how that particular deck is set up. Is it possible to raise the blades further up inside the deck shell? If you can, do it. This will further enhance the decks striping ability because the rear of the deck can better comb the grass after it's been cut.

You can also try lower lift blades or Gators. They both reduce the severity of blade tip vorticies.

Q